Mennonite Central Committe makes important statement

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The Mennonite Central Committee, referring to its wartime involvement with Nazism, says the MCC’s humanitarian work before and during the Second World War did not always reflect its core values.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 10/06/2022 (1534 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The Mennonite Central Committee, referring to its wartime involvement with Nazism, says the MCC’s humanitarian work before and during the Second World War did not always reflect its core values.

The statement by Rick Cober Bauman, the executive director of MCC Canada, and Anne Graber Hershberger, the executive director of MCC U.S., was released Monday. The organization said it “grieves and repents of the harm caused by MCC’s actions and inactions during this period.”

It went on to say that the MCC is committed to do a “better telling” of the story of the MCC during that historic period and will be taking “reparative steps over the coming months and years.”

This includes not glossing over how the MCC worked with pro-Nazi Mennonites in carrying out humanitarian efforts in the 1930s and 1940s, and how some MCC workers in wartime France were slow to take action to protect Jews under threat from pro-Nazi forces.

The statement was released as a follow-up to research conducted by scholars across North America about MCC’s entanglement with Nazism in the 1930s and ’40s. The findings of that research were presented in a journal published last year and at a conference at the University of Winnipeg this fall.

As part of its broader anti-racist commitment, the MCC said it will continue to provide financial support for ongoing historical research into its involvement with Nazism, review and update how it portrays its post-Second World War refugee resettlement efforts and renew its determination to act against antisemitism.

Bauman said the organization also solicited feedback from supporters.

The majority of the feedback was positive, he said, but there were some who felt the MCC should leave the past alone. That sentiment was mostly expressed by some Mennonites who traced their roots back to the flight from Ukraine after the Second World War. Some, he said, felt their family’s history had been “sullied” by the research.

When it comes to telling the story of the MCC during that period, the organization wants to “both understand and tell a more nuanced and fulsome story” about its actions, Cober Bauman said.

Past narratives tended to paint the MCC as heroic and Mennonites as victims, he said.

“We don’t want to take away from the fact there was huge suffering,” Cober Bauman said, adding it was appropriate for the MCC to “come alongside people who needed help and a new start.”

But, he said, “We want to be transparent about the degree to which MCC had become entangled with National Socialism.”

Training about antisemitism for MCC staff members will take into account how it has “seeped into all parts of the Christian community, including MCC,” Cober Bauman said, adding the organization intends to “work hard against it.”

Belle Jarniewski, executive director of the Jewish Heritage Centre of Western Canada, said the MCC is to be commended for the statement.

“This is a positive and important step forward on the part of MCC,” she said.

But, she said, “as important as it is for MCC to recognize its history of antisemitism during and after the Holocaust, I would like to see MCC address contemporary antisemitism by adopting the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance definition of antisemitism.”

Dan Stone, a professor emeritus at the University of Winnipeg, said the “MCC has taken an important and courageous step in confronting its own failure to follow its core values and identified positive actions to be taken.”

He said he would like to see the organization “examine the reasons for its past failure and look to see if these reasons persist up to the present day.”

faith@freepress.mb.ca

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

John Longhurst

John Longhurst
Faith columnist & reporter

John Longhurst has been writing for Winnipeg's faith pages since 2003. He also writes for Religion News Service in the U.S., and blogs about the media, marketing and communications at Making the News.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

Summer flooding sinks some fall harvest hopes

Tiago Resko 3 minute read Preview

Summer flooding sinks some fall harvest hopes

Tiago Resko 3 minute read 7:08 PM CDT

A number of Manitoba farmers say they are expecting this year’s harvest to be one of the worst they’ve seen after major flooding decimated fields at the start of summer.

Bob Elliot, who has been farming east of Stonewall for 43 years, said he’s expecting the operation’s 5,500 acres to produce roughly half their normal yield.

Stonewall has logged the most precipitation this summer, with 523 millimetres of rainfall between May 1 and Aug. 16, according to Manitoba’s weather conditions report.

Elliot said the amount of rain has created a “unique” situation for farmers. “This is something that I don’t think anyone around here has ever seen.”

Read
7:08 PM CDT

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Preview

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Yesterday at 8:02 PM CDT

A rural Manitoba MLA says he has heard from constituents who are “shocked and outraged” that a 66-year-old man is facing charges after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property.

Read
Yesterday at 8:02 PM CDT

Mennonite Central Committe makes important statement

John Longhurst 4 minute read Friday, Jun. 10, 2022

The Mennonite Central Committee, referring to its wartime involvement with Nazism, says the MCC’s humanitarian work before and during the Second World War did not always reflect its core values.

The statement by Rick Cober Bauman, the executive director of MCC Canada, and Anne Graber Hershberger, the executive director of MCC U.S., was released Monday. The organization said it “grieves and repents of the harm caused by MCC’s actions and inactions during this period.”

It went on to say that the MCC is committed to do a “better telling” of the story of the MCC during that historic period and will be taking “reparative steps over the coming months and years.”

This includes not glossing over how the MCC worked with pro-Nazi Mennonites in carrying out humanitarian efforts in the 1930s and 1940s, and how some MCC workers in wartime France were slow to take action to protect Jews under threat from pro-Nazi forces.

‘Unsafe for children’: Mayoral candidate Vogiatzakis promises to ramp up security in public parks

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

‘Unsafe for children’: Mayoral candidate Vogiatzakis promises to ramp up security in public parks

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read 5:32 PM CDT

A mayoral candidate is vowing to have security teams monitor parks and remove people doing drugs at the green spaces, if elected.

Mike Vogiatzakis held a news conference at city hall Friday, where he shared some initial promises.

“People (who) are not supposed to be in those parks, who are bringing drugs to those parks, who are injecting needles in their bodies, they will be removed (from) those parks immediately and their needles will go with them,” said Vogiatzakis.

He vowed to release a new pledge each week for the rest of the campaign.

Read
5:32 PM CDT