Fulham’s Mitrovic banned 8 games after grabbing referee

Advertisement

Advertise with us

LONDON (AP) — Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic was handed an eight-game ban Tuesday by the English Football Association after getting sent off for grabbing the referee in the FA Cup quarterfinals against Manchester United last month.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 04/04/2023 (1231 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

LONDON (AP) — Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic was handed an eight-game ban Tuesday by the English Football Association after getting sent off for grabbing the referee in the FA Cup quarterfinals against Manchester United last month.

The Serbia international was shown a straight red card after pushing and remonstrating aggressively in the face of referee Chris Kavanagh, who had just given United a penalty and sent off Fulham winger Willian for a handball in the area. Fulham had led 1-0 before the penalty was awarded, but went on to lose 3-1 after going down to nine men in the match on March 19.

The FA said Mitrovic’s suspension, which was decided by an independent regulatory commission, consists of a standard three-match ban which has been extended by three games for violent conduct toward a match official and another two for using language that was “improper, abusive, insulting and threatening.”

Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic reacts after he was shown a red card during the English FA Cup quarterfinal soccer match between Manchester United and Fulham at the Old Trafford stadium in Manchester, England, Sunday, March 19, 2023. (AP Photo/Jon Super)
Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic reacts after he was shown a red card during the English FA Cup quarterfinal soccer match between Manchester United and Fulham at the Old Trafford stadium in Manchester, England, Sunday, March 19, 2023. (AP Photo/Jon Super)

Mitrovic was also given a fine of 75,000 pounds ($94,000). Having already missed one game, he will now be unavailable for Fulham’s next seven matches.

Manager Marco Silva, whose own dismissal alongside that of Willian led to Mitrovic’s angry reaction, was also punished by the independent commission.

Silva admitted to using abusive and insulting words or behavior toward Kavanagh and the fourth official but denied throwing a water bottle toward the assistant referee. He was fined a total of 40,000 pounds ($50,000) and given a two-game touchline ban.

An additional 40,000-pound ($50,000) fine was issued to Fulham for failing to control its players.

The FA said its intention is to appeal against both sanctions, in the hopes of a more severe punishment, but will wait for the written reasons behind the sanctions to be published by the independent commission before making a final decision.

Mitrovic is Fulham’s top scorer with 12 goals this season. He will not be available again until the final three games of the season.

Fulham is in 10th place in the 20-team league and still in outside contention of qualifying for European competition next season.

Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic is shown red card during the English FA Cup quarterfinal soccer match between Manchester United and Fulham at the Old Trafford stadium in Manchester, England, Sunday, March 19, 2023. (AP Photo/Jon Super)
Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic is shown red card during the English FA Cup quarterfinal soccer match between Manchester United and Fulham at the Old Trafford stadium in Manchester, England, Sunday, March 19, 2023. (AP Photo/Jon Super)

“On a personal level, I regret my actions that led to me being sent off,” Mitrovic said in an apology to teammates and Fulham’s supporters soon after the incident. “I allowed my frustration to get the better of me, and how I reacted was wrong.”

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Report Error Submit a Tip

Soccer

LOAD SOCCER ARTICLES