‘Critical’ time to discuss antisemitism

Advertisement

Advertise with us

OTTAWA — The Israel-Hamas war gives having conversations about antisemitism “a sense of urgency,” people attending a national conference on the topic say.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/10/2023 (1036 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

OTTAWA — The Israel-Hamas war gives having conversations about antisemitism “a sense of urgency,” people attending a national conference on the topic say.

The two-day event — Antisemitism: Face It, Fight It Conference — began in Ottawa on Monday morning.

Steven Kroft, a Winnipegger and national vice-chairman for the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs, said the war between Israel and Hamas gives the conference “new meaning and a greater sense of urgency.”

Belle Jarniewski (right), executive director of Winnipeg’s Jewish Heritage Centre of Western Canada, greets Deborah Lyons, the new Special Envoy for Holocaust Remembrance and Combating Antisemitism, following the announcement of her appointment in Ottawa. (John Longhurst / Winnipeg Free Press)

Belle Jarniewski (right), executive director of Winnipeg’s Jewish Heritage Centre of Western Canada, greets Deborah Lyons, the new Special Envoy for Holocaust Remembrance and Combating Antisemitism, following the announcement of her appointment in Ottawa. (John Longhurst / Winnipeg Free Press)

Jews make up less than one per cent of Canada’s population but are targets of about 55 per cent of all religious hate crimes, he said.

“Bringing Jews and others from across Canada together to develop a collective path forward in our fight against antisemitism is so critically important,” he said. “If we don’t stand up and fight for ourselves, who will?”

Laia Shpeller, a Winnipegger studying biomedical engineering at the University of British Columbia, said the conference is an opportunity to “engage in meaningful discussions about being Jewish in Canada and how our community can work together.”

As a young adult, she thinks it’s important to have young voices at the conference because they can “bring a unique perspective due to our willingness to challenge norms.”

The event had been planned long before the current conflict began on Oct. 7, but Shpeller said the increase in antisemitic rhetoric and actions since then “makes having these conversations right now even more critical.”

Rob Berkowitz, executive director of Winnipeg’s Rady Jewish Community Centre, said the conference is a way to “educate myself on how to best support my staff and volunteers.”

Antisemitism “creates a feeling of isolation and vulnerability, so it is important to learn strategies to manage and support these emotions,” he said.

Berkowitz said he hopes to have “a better understanding why antisemitism persists and to develop an improved skill set to combat its rise in my local community.”

The conference is sponsored by the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs, with support from Jewish federations across Canada, including Winnipeg’s.

Conference participants will hear speakers on various topics and fan out to visit politicians on Parliament Hill, asking them to undertake a national campaign to promote social-media literacy.

Deborah Lyons (left), the new Special Envoy for Holocaust Remembrance and Combating Antisemitism, with outgoing special envoy Irwin Cotler, following the announcement of her appointment in Ottawa. (John Longhurst / Winnipeg Free Press)

Deborah Lyons (left), the new Special Envoy for Holocaust Remembrance and Combating Antisemitism, with outgoing special envoy Irwin Cotler, following the announcement of her appointment in Ottawa. (John Longhurst / Winnipeg Free Press)

Some speakers from Israel are unable to attend because of the ongoing conflict.

Meanwhile, Deborah Lyons has been named the new special envoy on preserving Holocaust remembrance and combating antisemitism. The announcement was made by government House leader Karina Gould, who noted how many members of the Jewish community in Canada are “hurt and anxious” while, at the same time, acknowledging the humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

Lyons, the former Canadian Ambassador to Israel from 2016-20, acknowledged she is taking on the role “at a most critical time.”

She said she looks forward to working with Amira Elghawaby, Canada’s special representative on combating Islamophobia.

When asked what she, as a non-Jew, could bring to the special envoy role, Lyons said she would bring “the Canadian way” of “fighting for one another and supporting each other,” especially in “these difficult times.”

Lyons also served as Special Representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations for Afghanistan, Head of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan from 2020-22 and as Canadian Ambassador to the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan from 2013–16.

faith@freepress.mb.ca

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

John Longhurst

John Longhurst
Faith columnist & reporter

John Longhurst has been writing for Winnipeg's faith pages since 2003. He also writes for Religion News Service in the U.S., and blogs about the media, marketing and communications at Making the News.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Monday, October 16, 2023 12:49 PM CDT: Adds photos

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

Cross-border abduction under investigation

1 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:40 PM CDT

A cross-border kidnapping from Winnipeg to Minnesota is under investigation, according to North Dakota state patrol.

A 31-year-old Manitoba man abducted a 37-year-old Manitoba man in Winnipeg and drove across the border into North Dakota, the North Dakota State Highway Patrol said in a Facebook post Sunday. The state patrol said it became aware of the possible abduction Sunday morning and worked with local, federal and Canadian law enforcement to investigate.

Authorities identified a suspect vehicle using cameras at multiple locations and used cell-phone location information and licence-plate reader technology to find the vehicle in Alexandria, Minnesota.

"The victim was able to break free from the suspect and run into a nearby store. The suspect was taken into custody shortly afterward by the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and Alexandria Police Department. The victim was recovered safely," the North Dakota state patrol's post reads.

Letters, Aug. 17

7 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Be statesmanlike, Pierre

Re: Canadians have moved on, Poilievre hasn’t (Aug. 7); Poilievre’s trade bluster a desperate bid for attention (Aug. 12)

If I were Pierre Poilievre, I wouldn’t be just thinking about becoming the next prime minister. I’d be thinking about legacy in larger terms — meaning how would I ultimately want to be remembered.

And I would want to be remembered as the politician who, even if not having achieved the ultimate goal of becoming prime minister, left the political world as a respected statesman. As such, with respect to trade and the relationship with the United States, I would be guided by the following maxim found in Tom Brodbeck’s Aug. 12 column: The goal should be to maximize Canada’s leverage while reducing its vulnerability.

Rise of social media reflects rise of self-promotion — to the detriment of genuine storytelling

Reviewed by Matt Henderson 4 minute read Preview

Rise of social media reflects rise of self-promotion — to the detriment of genuine storytelling

Reviewed by Matt Henderson 4 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

A conversation is overheard between two people; one congratulates the other on their success, evident through countless posts on LinkedIn, but the other confesses the prolific aggrandizement is due to slumping success.

A young man on an airplane spends three hours poring over selfies taken on a vacation, zooming in on his biceps and using AI to retouch photos before posting on Instagram.

Anonymous and cowardly trolls on Reddit attempt to end another person’s career.

All this “storytelling” was observed in one day by this reviewer.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

A better approach, but not yet enough

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

A better approach, but not yet enough

Editorial 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

In late June, when the Winnipeg Police Service launched a 10-day ‘crackdown’ on open drug use and illegal drug sales in areas in and around downtown, it did so without consulting or informing community outreach and social services agencies working in the targeted areas.

Inevitably, the WPS action drew criticism from several front-line agencies, which issued a collective statement just two days after the police operation began, pointing out that heavy-handed policing would drive vulnerable people away from the help they desperately need.

“Every day we work to build trust with people who have experienced trauma, discrimination, and barriers to care,” Kate Sjoberg, executive director of Resource Assistance for Youth, said at the time. “Actions that create fear around accessing services can undo months or years of relationship-building and place people at greater risk of preventable harm.”

At the time, WPS Chief Gene Bowers held up his hand and said, “That’s on me.”

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Best to fess up about grandkid-sitting fatigue

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: We love our grandchildren, but now we’re sick of them. The two sets of parents — our adult children — have been parking their kids out here on the farm with us while they take back-to-back road trips to see their friends. We’ve had enough.

Grandma and I want them to come back and get the “brats” (just joking, they’re nice kids) so we can relax.

You have to be so careful with city kids around the farm who don’t know when they’re going to make a mistake and get hoofed by an animal or run over by a farm implement.

How do we tell our kids the party is over early, and they really need to come back before grandma and I give out?

Lasting legacy or pining for a pipe dream?

Laura Cameron 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

The federal government is investing in major infrastructure, promising to expedite “projects of national interest” and pitching them to private investors at a summit in September.

The Manitoba government has its sights set on a pipeline and LNG export terminal at Churchill. Instead, Manitoba should be putting forward feasible, future-facing infrastructure proposals that would leave a positive lasting legacy of energy affordability, independence and security for Manitobans.

A pipeline and LNG terminal at Churchill are not viable for several reasons — the technical challenges of building a pipeline over thawing permafrost; the prohibitive cost of ice-breaking tankers to move LNG through the Arctic; and a forecasted global oversupply of LNG and uncertain long-term export markets.

Given these challenges, a private company coming out of the woodwork to invest seems exceptionally unlikely. Private proponents are also not interested in building oil pipelines to the west, and Prime Minister Mark Carney has now made clear his priority to work with Premier Danielle Smith on a West Coast pipeline, which would cost upwards of $35 billion (on top of the over $34 billion in public funds already spent on the Trans Mountain pipeline). It would seem this pours more cold water on the idea of a third publicly funded pipeline to Hudson Bay.