Province extends agreements with private clinics

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Manitoba’s health minister scrambled Wednesday to reassure patients the government didn’t just allow contracts with private clinics, which perform vital procedures such as hernia and knee surgeries, to lapse on March 31.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Monthly Digital Subscription

$0 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*No charge for 4 weeks then price increases to the regular rate of $19.00 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.75/week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

No thanks

*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $16.99 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $23.99 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 03/04/2024 (606 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Manitoba’s health minister scrambled Wednesday to reassure patients the government didn’t just allow contracts with private clinics, which perform vital procedures such as hernia and knee surgeries, to lapse on March 31.

Uzoma Asagwara was forced to explain late Wednesday that such service agreements are being extended, after the Official Opposition demanded to know the state of the contracts.

“Why is this NDP government so bent on prioritizing its politics over patients?” Progressive Conservative health critic Kathleen Cook asked during question period.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Health minister Uzoma Asagwara says the government is extending service agreements with private service providers but was waiting for the provincial budget to be made public on Tuesday.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

Health minister Uzoma Asagwara says the government is extending service agreements with private service providers but was waiting for the provincial budget to be made public on Tuesday.

She questioned the government’s commitment to patients over its support for public health care, as well as the need to reduce huge surgical and diagnostic procedure backlogs.

“Several physicians have reached out to me to share their concerns regarding an agreement set to expire at the end of March for additional orthopedic surgery at Maples Surgical Centre. (There’s been) no word from this NDP government on an extension,” Cook told the house.

It is one of many agreements signed under the now-disbanded diagnostic and surgical recovery task force that had a direct effect on patients getting care in Manitoba faster, Cook said.

“First they stopped patients from going out of province for care, now they’re stopping patients from getting care here in Manitoba,” she said in the house.

After forming government in October, the NDP scrapped the diagnostic and surgical recovery task force, which had been established by the Tories to address the pandemic-related backlog and long wait times, and put a stop to any referrals for out-of-province surgeries.

The plan was to build up capacity in Manitoba rather than spend money for out-of-province services.

In an interview late Wednesday, the health minister said the government is extending service agreements with private service providers but was waiting for the provincial budget to be made public on Tuesday.

“Since the budget’s been announced, we’ve been able to have those conversations with different service providers and let them know their agreements are being extended and they’re ongoing,” the health minister said.

Asagwara pointed to record health spending in the NDP’s first budget that includes $50 million for innovation to increase surgical capacity and tackle backlogs.

The release of the budget has allowed the government to start talking to service providers about how to increase the number of surgeries in Manitoba, the minister said.

“Our priority is working with our private partners in our public system to improve capacity here in our province.”

Asagwara said they were “excited” to continue to work with the Maples Surgical Centre and other service providers do that in a sustainable way.

The task force — that had been criticized for prioritizing private contracts over investments in the public system — planned to continue to use a combination of private contracts and existing public resources to eliminate backlogs and reduce long wait times.

On Wednesday, the health minister said the province had no plan to cut ties to private clinics.

“The work continues in terms of working with service providers across the province to make sure that we’re continuing to invest in strengthening health care here at home.”

carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca

Carol Sanders

Carol Sanders
Legislature reporter

Carol Sanders is a reporter at the Free Press legislature bureau. The former general assignment reporter and copy editor joined the paper in 1997. Read more about Carol.

Every piece of reporting Carol produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

 

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD MORE