Flooded apartment leaves some residents homeless Police investigate after pipe dislodged inside downtown highrise

With water flowing everywhere, Michelle Szajewski had just enough time to grab her cat and a few important items before getting out of her downtown apartment building.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/08/2024 (732 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

With water flowing everywhere, Michelle Szajewski had just enough time to grab her cat and a few important items before getting out of her downtown apartment building.

The unwelcome surprise Monday morning forced Szajewski and dozens of other residents to evacuate Holiday Towers, a 25-storey building on Hargrave Street.

“I came back to alarms going off and water gushing from the ceiling of the lobby and elevator,” Szajewski said Wednesday. “I’m homeless right now.”

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS
                                Residents at the Holiday Towers apartment building at 170 Hargrave Street were evacuated Monday morning owing to flooding.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS

Residents at the Holiday Towers apartment building at 170 Hargrave Street were evacuated Monday morning owing to flooding.

In a post on its website, WRE Development, the property manager of the building, said the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service ordered all tenants to vacate their suites after a “significant flooding incident” Monday.

WFPS crews were called to the downtown complex around 11:45 a.m. after a sprinkler system alarm went off, deputy chief Jason Shaw said.

Firefighters found a standpipe on the 12th floor had been dislodged. The pipe connects to fire hoses and is used as a water supply to fight fires.

“We don’t know how it was opened, or who opened it, or why it was open, but it wasn’t due to our needs for fire suppression,” Shaw said Wednesday.

Crews were able to shut off the water flow, but the building’s power was disabled and some parts of the building sustained significant damage.

“All that water affected the critical infrastructure of the building,” Shaw said.

The building was evacuated and about 230 residents were assessed by the city’s emergency social services team, Shaw said.

The flood is being investigated by the Winnipeg police, public information officer Const. Dani McKinnon said Wednesday.

Meals on Wheels is stationed on the main floor of the complex and had to take down its systems for the afternoon, but was up and running the following morning, executive director Marla Somersall said.

“There was water coming down the walls and in the carpets… we lost some ceiling tiles. We don’t know the damage in the walls yet,” Somersall said.

Szajewski, who has lived on the eighth floor since April, stayed at a hotel Monday night, but couldn’t afford another evening and ended up sleeping in the adjoining apartment building’s lobby Tuesday.

Since the evacuation, Szajewski has been experiencing panic attacks and non-stop crying and says she has received no communication from the building managers.

“This has been affecting me so much,” she said. “The management is keeping us in the dark.”

“All that water affected the critical infrastructure of the building.”–Jason Shaw, WFPS

WRE originally said on its website there was no timeline for residents to return to their suites. An updated notice said residents of the 14th floor and above were allowed back home.

“We need to assess the damage and have the proper contractors complete the repairs,” the notice said, adding WRE was working to have the issue fixed “as quickly as possible” and advised tenants to reach out to their insurance companies for assistance.

Multiple requests for comment from WRE went unanswered Wednesday.

Shaw said the WFPS is working with the building manager to provide information and support displaced tenants in a timely manner and to get people back in their apartments.

“There was a lot of hard-working people and there was a lot of residents that were wanting to speak to the building owners and trying to get information,” Shaw said. “These are trying times and you need to be empathetic, because this displacement really causes a lot of hurt and concern.”

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / PRESS
                                The Meals on Wheels office was one of the tenants of the Hargrave Street building that experienced water damage earlier this week.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / PRESS

The Meals on Wheels office was one of the tenants of the Hargrave Street building that experienced water damage earlier this week.

Meantime, tenants of other evacuated buildings in Winnipeg continue to live in limbo.

Last week, residents of Birchwood Terrace were told their October move-in date was pushed back again, as per an updated schedule from the building’s contractor.

“We still don’t know when occupancy will be permitted in the building,” a letter addressed to tenants and obtained by the Free Press stated.

Workers have only recently completed inspections of most of the Portage Avenue building’s structural columns, which were found to be rotting, the letter said. That prompted the emergency evacuation of hundreds in May.

“This has been affecting me so much.”–Michelle Szajewski, tenant

Crews have only recently determined the amount of repair work required before the building can be stabilized and inspected.

Lakewood plans to provide another update on Sept. 12, the letter states.

Across town, all tenants of a St. John’s neighbourhood apartment who were unlawfully evicted have returned home.

Residents of Stratford Hall, a three-storey block at 285 College Ave., were abruptly ordered to leave July 12, resulting in an investigation by the Residential Tenancies Branch.

A week later, the provincial government intervened, issuing the building’s landlord 32 noncompliance orders. Security was also brought in to monitor the building 24/7 and ensure people could safely return.

The province said Wednesday it has issued administrative penalties totalling $9,000 to the building’s owner, who the Free Press identified as Kelly Vasas.

nicole.buffie@freepress.mb.ca

Nicole Buffie

Nicole Buffie
Multimedia producer

Nicole Buffie is a reporter for the Free Press city desk. Born and bred in Winnipeg, Nicole graduated from Red River College’s Creative Communications program in 2020 and worked as a reporter throughout Manitoba before joining the Free Press newsroom as a multimedia producer in 2023. Read more about Nicole.

Every piece of reporting Nicole produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Wednesday, August 21, 2024 5:31 PM CDT: Adds video

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read Preview

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

The Conservative Party of Canada has a troll problem. And it’s coming from inside the tent.

Once, trolls existed only in imagination. They were figures of mythical proportion, big and small. They lived solitary lives under bridges, in caves, or forests. They were considered dim-witted and mean. Best avoided.

Today, they are real, unavoidable, and ubiquitous on social media. They are anything but solitary. There are tribes of them out there and tribal is how they think and post. As for dim-witted and mean, others can opine but they are uniformly mean and dismissive.

Mean to anyone who disagrees with their views. Dismissive of any view but their own. They distribute questionable, at best, facts and opinions grounded in hostility towards anything or anyone deemed disagreeable or heretical to their world view.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Preview

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Let it be known that when Canada’s provinces and alcohol industries needed a defender, Canada’s first First Nations provincial premier was their greatest warrior.

This is, admittedly, a provocative opening line — referencing historical and cultural intersections and relying on a stereotype or two.

It’s impossible, however, not to see how important the nearly Canada-wide provincial-led ban on the sale of U.S. alcohol is to Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew.

It’s due to his stand on national matters like these that he’s become very popular — according to polls, the most popular premier in Canada — and has been empowered to take on the mantle of one of the captains of “Team Canada” on economic, political and domestic issues.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

‘We got attacked’: Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 8 minute read Preview

‘We got attacked’: Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 8 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 3:46 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Mark Carney says retaliatory tariffs will hit the U.S. starting next month after Canada walked away from what he called a "bad deal."

The U.S. introduced new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports on Saturday after trade talks failed.

"We got attacked," Carney told reporters on Parliament Hill Saturday when asked about the escalating trade war.

Carney suspended talks with the United States late Friday and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 3:46 PM CDT

BigXThaPlug misses Country Rising appearance after arrest

1 minute read Yesterday at 12:05 PM CDT

Country-rap headliner BigXThaPlug, scheduled to appear at the third annual Country Rising festival at Blue Cross Park on Friday, missed performing at the festival after being arrested on drug charges in Texas earlier in the day.

According to Dallas’s KDFW, the performer, born Xavier Landum, was arrested by the Allen Police Department and booked into the Collin County Jail on Friday.

The jail’s website states Landum was charged with driving while intoxicated, marijuana possession of less than two ounces, and unlawful possession of a firearm.