Quebec begins granting early requests for MAID without requested federal changes

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MONTREAL - Quebecers who want to arrange a medically assisted death before their condition leaves them unable to grant consent can do so as of next month, the province announced Saturday as it unveiled details of a plan to grant such requests without waiting for Ottawa to update the country's criminal code.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 07/09/2024 (709 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

MONTREAL – Quebecers who want to arrange a medically assisted death before their condition leaves them unable to grant consent can do so as of next month, the province announced Saturday as it unveiled details of a plan to grant such requests without waiting for Ottawa to update the country’s criminal code.

Quebec’s government said last month it would stop waiting for the federal government to implement the requested amendments and forge ahead with plans to grant early MAID requests. On Saturday, the province announced such requests could be granted as of Oct. 30.

“The issue of advance requests for medical assistance in dying is widely agreed upon in Quebec,” Justice Minister Simon Jolin-Barrette said in a press release.

Quebec Premier Francois Legault, left, walks to a cabinet meeting with Quebec Health Minister Christian Dube in Quebec City, Wednesday, March 29, 2023. Quebec announced Saturday that it will authorize early requests for medical assistance in dying, without waiting for Ottawa to amend Canada’s Criminal Code. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot

Quebec Premier Francois Legault, left, walks to a cabinet meeting with Quebec Health Minister Christian Dube in Quebec City, Wednesday, March 29, 2023. Quebec announced Saturday that it will authorize early requests for medical assistance in dying, without waiting for Ottawa to amend Canada’s Criminal Code. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot

Seniors Minister Sonia Bélanger called the province a leader in upholding “patients’ right to die with dignity.”

The government said it has asked the Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions to respect the conditions laid out in the province’s act respecting end-of-life care when it comes to pressing criminal charges.

In response, the Director’s office issued its own release immediately after the government, saying it would instruct criminal and penal prosecutors that “it would not be in the public interest” to authorize criminal prosecutions for deaths occurring in a context of MAID so long as the care is provided in compliance with the act.

Director Patrick Michel says prosecutors will only intervene when a police investigation has taken place or a complaint has been made that someone’s wishes were not respected in accordance with the law, for example, if someone was alleged to have been coerced.

When asked whether Quebec is acting illegally without Ottawa modifying the Criminal Code, Michel said prosecutors will continue to enforce the law until Ottawa steps in and takes action.

“We’re a law enforcement agency, so we have to take it for granted that the provincial law is valid, and we’ll take that into account in our decisions,” Michel told The Canadian Press in an interview.

“The federal government would have to challenge the legality of the law, then convince a judge to suspend the application of the law while the court ruled on the validity of the provincial law. Otherwise, the law is presumed valid until it is invalidated, or a court suspends its application,” he said.

Quebec previously said it would wait to grant early requests until the federal government modified the Criminal Code in order to better protect health-care workers from facing charges related to ending a patient’s life, but last month it announced it wouldn’t wait any longer.

Quebec adopted a law in June 2023 permitting people with serious and incurable illnesses like Alzheimer’s disease to ask for MAID while they have the capacity to provide consent, with the procedure being carried out after their condition has worsened.

On X, Quebec’s College of Physicians shared its support for the Quebec government’s move and criticized Ottawa.

“We deplore the fact that Ottawa has not yet amended the Criminal Code to authorize this well-established procedure, which has consensus in Quebec.

The Order of Quebec Nurses also expressed its approval and turned its attention to federal lawmakers.

“There are still a number of issues to clarify before it comes into force. We therefore look to the federal government to quickly join the broad Quebec consensus,” said order president Luc Mathieu in an email to the Canadian Press.

The Criminal Code says that “immediately before” a health-care worker administers a medically assisted death, they must “give the person an opportunity to withdraw their request and ensure that the person gives express consent to receive medical assistance in dying.”

There are exceptions, but for the consent requirement to be waived, a person seeking MAID must fulfil several criteria, including that they “entered into an arrangement in writing” specifying the day on which they wanted to die.

Under the Quebec law, a patient’s advance request is made with the help of a health professional and must describe in detail the symptoms that will trigger medical aid in dying after they have lost the ability to consent.

In February 2023, Parliament’s special joint committee on MAID released a report recommending that the federal government amend the Criminal Code to allow for advance requests following a diagnosis of a serious and incurable medical condition, or “disorder leading to incapacity.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 7, 2024.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Murphy helps Goldeyes battle back to beat Explorers

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Murphy helps Goldeyes battle back to beat Explorers

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read 5:55 PM CDT

Max Murphy didn’t hesitate when asked to describe his season so far.

“It’s been terrible,” the veteran Winnipeg Goldeyes outfielder told the Free Press.

Murphy is admittedly critical of himself, the product of a high standard he’s set during a pro baseball career that began in 2014 and has included the past six years with the Fish, where he’s established new franchise records for home runs and RBIs.

So you can imagine the relief felt on Sunday when he looked a lot more like the Murphy of old in leading his team to a 6-2 comeback victory over the Sioux City Explorers to close out a six-game homestand at Blue Cross Park in front of a season-high crowd of 6,825.

Read
5:55 PM CDT

Rainbow Stage’s Legally Blonde a lovely legal musical

Holly Harris 6 minute read Preview

Rainbow Stage’s Legally Blonde a lovely legal musical

Holly Harris 6 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Omigod, you guys! Rainbow Stage kicked off its penultimate summer production Thursday with a high-octane joy machine bathed in a sea of pink.

Inspired by the 2001 Hollywood film starring Reese Witherspoon, and Amanda Brown’s same-titled novel, the award-winning Legally Blonde: The Musical — featuring a book by Heather Hach, with music/lyrics by Laurence O’Keefe and Nell Benjamin — opened on Broadway in April 2007, followed by a subsequent West End run.

The tale — equal parts cheesy rom-com and potent siren call for female autonomy and empowerment — focuses on quintessential Cali-girl Elle Woods (a pitch-perfect Claire Mac Master). A proud daughter and president of Delta Nu sorority house, she enrols at Harvard Law School to win back her upwardly mobile ex-boyfriend, Warner Huntington III (Duncan Cox).

Laser-focused on marrying a “Jackie, not a Marilyn,” Warner dreams of becoming an American senator, latching onto uber-preppy fellow pupil Vivienne Kensington (Julie Davis), who becomes Elle’s arch nemesis.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

RCMP searching for missing 34-year-old woman

1 minute read Yesterday at 6:29 PM CDT

Police are asking for the public’s help locating a 34-year-old woman last heard from almost a week ago.

Tamara Stevens, who also goes by Tammy, was last heard from on Sunday last weekend and was reported missing Tuesday morning, said a Thompson RCMP news release Saturday.

RCMP and family are worried for her well-being.

Stevens is believed to be in Thompson and is described as 5'7, with a slender build and long red hair, said RCMP. She also has a piercing on her lip and was last seen wearing black T-Shirt featuring the Twilight character Jacob, pants and work boots.

Poilievre’s lips moving, but Canadians aren’t interested in what he’s saying

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read Preview

Poilievre’s lips moving, but Canadians aren’t interested in what he’s saying

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 6, 2026

Pierre Poilievre’s biggest political challenge right now isn’t Prime Minister Mark Carney’s popularity.

It’s the fact that he still seems to be campaigning against a political landscape that no longer exists.

More than a year after the 2025 federal election, the Conservative leader is still relying on the same message, the same themes and the same attacks that defined his party’s campaign before voters went to the polls.

And Canadians appear to be tuning it out.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 6, 2026

Trailblazing Western Scrap Metals heavy-equipment operator relishes role at massive crane’s control

David Sanderson 7 minute read Preview

Trailblazing Western Scrap Metals heavy-equipment operator relishes role at massive crane’s control

David Sanderson 7 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Less than five per cent of heavy-equipment operators in the country are women but that number is trending upward, according to a study conducted by trade magazine Crane & Hoist Canada.

It was reported that in Ontario roughly eight per cent of jobs in the transport and heavy-equipment field are currently held by women. Furthermore, in 2024 almost 20 per cent of graduates at an Edmonton-based heavy-equipment operator training school were female, the article stated.

That brings us to Harmony Guspodarchuk, the first female crane operator in the 70-year history of Western Scrap Metals, a family-owned business at 18 Sutherland Ave.

Three years ago, Guspodarchuk literally stepped into the driver’s seat of a 27,500-kilogram, Liebherr C 924 Heavy Lift Litronic crane. The 29-year-old hasn’t looked back much since.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Yesterday at 8:57 PM CDT

It wasn’t a stellar performance by any stretch.

But at this point, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will take a win no matter what it looks like.

The Blue and Gold outlasted the winless Ottawa Redblacks 33-21 on a rainy Friday night at Princess Auto Stadium to improve to 5-4.

“It’s great to finally get a win at home for our fans and to go out and play a better game is very encouraging,” said right guard Patrick Neufeld.

Read
Yesterday at 8:57 PM CDT