New songs inspired by falling leaves, tight deadlines

Francophone artists to deliver music from songwriting challenge

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Flora Luna, Alpha Toshineza and Suzanne Kennelly each make their own kind of music, but Saturday, they’ll each perform a song inspired by the same prompt and composed for the same deadline.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 04/10/2024 (686 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Flora Luna, Alpha Toshineza and Suzanne Kennelly each make their own kind of music, but Saturday, they’ll each perform a song inspired by the same prompt and composed for the same deadline.

Last month, the three francophone musicians — who respectively make lush indie pop, heart-pounding hip-hop and butter-smooth jazz — met at the Saint Boniface offices of the music-driven non-profit Le 100 Nons to receive their assignment from executive director Eric Burke.

By the first Saturday night in October, as part of the Vos idées en chansons program, the artists would have to create a new song to correspond to the theme Reviens me voir à l’automne, or “Come back and see me in the fall.” What normally might take months or years of contemplation now had a due date, forcing the artists to work hard and resist preciousness: whatever would be would be.

SUPPLIED
                                Geneviève Freynet, a.k.a. Flora Luna, came up with a new song for Le 100 Nons’ ongoing Vos idées en chansons program in one month.

SUPPLIED

Geneviève Freynet, a.k.a. Flora Luna, came up with a new song for Le 100 Nons’ ongoing Vos idées en chansons program in one month.

Flora Luna’s Geneviève Freynet says the project reminded her of cramming to complete coursework during her undergraduate degree in Indigenous studies or her master’s in education.

“It did feel a little bit like school in a way, staying up late to get my assignments in, trying to finish, except it’s a lot more fun,” she says.

Freynet, who was raised in St. Genevieve and plays in a folk duo with her brother Pierre, began her process the same way as usual, writing whatever she felt compelled to scribble down, while resisting the urge to edit or judge herself. “So I wrote down some obvious words related to fall — about the wind, the leaves, the colours, the nostalgia, preparing for hibernation, starting fires — that kind of stuff.

“It kind of painted a picture and put me in a mood,” adds the singer, who counts as influences Madison Cunningham, Fiona Apple and Klô Pelgag (Quebecois singer Chloé Pelletier-Gagnon). “Sometimes it’s easier when something is imposed on you; then you don’t have the white-page syndrome. This time, it was a little hard to connect, so I did more or less restart a few times. But it’s been a fun process getting those creative juices out and finding the meaning of that theme at this point in my life.”

Last fall, Freynet participated in a similar challenge put on by 100 Nons while attending a songwriter’s workshop with eight other francophone artist at Falcon Lake.

SUPPLIED
                                Suzanne Kennelly is one of the musicians challenged to come up with new music.

SUPPLIED

Suzanne Kennelly is one of the musicians challenged to come up with new music.

“We had to write one song per day in groups of three from beginning to end,” she says. “It was an amazing challenge and some very good songs came out of it.

“But it’s intimidating on your own. It’s harder to have an objective point of view. You have to take your raw material and do the best you can with it.”

Burke says the idea of Le 100 Nons’ program is to stimulate creativity and to include an audience in the artistic process of song development. Saturday’s event — which will be presented in a Winnipeg Folk Festival-style workshop setting at Centre Culturel Franco-Manitobain — is the first of four Vos idées events this fall, with Dominique Reynolds serving as MC.

On Oct. 22, Tommy Douglas Keenan, Justin Lacroix and Jérémie Gosselin will perform songs inspired by audience suggestions gathered at the inaugural show. On Nov. 5, Bush Lotus, Daniel Roy and André Peloquin-Hopfner will continue the chain. And on Nov. 19, Andrina Turenne, French RK and Paul Lachance will show what they tunes they can spin in a two-week span.

ben.waldman@winnipegfreepress.com

SUPPLIED
                                Francophone hip-hop artist Alain Tshinza shares the spotlight at tonight’s workshop.

SUPPLIED

Francophone hip-hop artist Alain Tshinza shares the spotlight at tonight’s workshop.

Ben Waldman

Ben Waldman
Reporter

Ben Waldman is a National Newspaper Award-nominated reporter on the Arts & Life desk at the Free Press. Born and raised in Winnipeg, Ben completed three internships with the Free Press while earning his degree at Ryerson University’s (now Toronto Metropolitan University’s) School of Journalism before joining the newsroom full-time in 2019. Read more about Ben.

Every piece of reporting Ben produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

City blames weather for creating new sinkhole on Sturgeon Creek path

Malak Abas 3 minute read Preview

City blames weather for creating new sinkhole on Sturgeon Creek path

Malak Abas 3 minute read Yesterday at 6:12 PM CDT

After a massive water-filled hole on a Sturgeon Creek active-transportation pathway took more than a year to fix, a new sinkhole has opened nearby.

In June 2023, the Free Press reported on a gaping depression stretching seven metres long, three metres wide and up to a metre deep that opened on a pathway leading to a playground on Amarynth Crescent near the Sturgeon Creek active-transportation route. The city finally made repairs in October 2024.

Now, about 12 metres away from that spot, a new crater has appeared. The hole, about three metres long and 2.5 metres wide, has been blocked off using metal rods and plastic netting, but resident Philip Kaban said the opening is getting larger.

“This big hole in the middle is getting bigger and bigger,” Kaban said Thursday.

Read
Yesterday at 6:12 PM CDT

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Preview

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:48 PM CDT

Evan Nachtigall is trying not to get ahead of himself. But you’ll forgive the young Manitoba golfer for pondering the “what if” as he stands on the cusp of a career milestone.

Nachtigall, 25, sits alone on top of the Canadian Men’s Mid-Amateur championship through 54 holes. He is 17-under par and carries a two-shot lead into Friday’s final round at the Brantford Golf & Country Club in Ontario.

“It would be incredible, but there is a lot of golf left to go so I won’t be thinking too much about that until hopefully the final putt drops,” Nachtigall told reporters on scene Thursday.

The Brandon product is aiming to become the first Manitoban to win the national title since Todd Fanning did so in 2017, winning a playoff over Ontario’s Garrett Rank.

Read
Yesterday at 5:48 PM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.