Salvation Army says holiday donations down 50 per cent since mail strike began

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The Salvation Army says holiday donations are down 50 per cent since the Canada Post strike began, amounting to a drop of roughly $9.3 million in seasonal giving compared to this time last year.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 09/12/2024 (617 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The Salvation Army says holiday donations are down 50 per cent since the Canada Post strike began, amounting to a drop of roughly $9.3 million in seasonal giving compared to this time last year.

Mail-in gifts are “the bedrock” of the Army’s fundraising efforts, said spokesman Lt.-Col. John Murray, but its postal campaign has essentially ground to a halt during the labour dispute, which coincides with the busiest time of year for the charity.

Murray said 65 per cent of its annual fundraising occurs between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31, roughly two-thirds of that by mail.

An automated donation stand for the Salvation Army is seen at a grocery store in Montreal on Monday, Dec. 21, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
An automated donation stand for the Salvation Army is seen at a grocery store in Montreal on Monday, Dec. 21, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

“This inability of our donors and supporters to make donations is going to potentially affect us in our delivery of service, not only during the holiday season, but in this coming year,” said Murray, whose organization supports food banks, shelter programs, emergency relief and other services across the country.

At the same time, Murray said online donations increased $100,000 in the last week compared to the same time last year, but he said that does little to cover the shortfall in mail donations.

People continue to give in-person by slipping cash into the Army’s distinctive red Christmas kettles, but as of Thursday, Murray said that campaign was down by a third, or $2 million, compared to the same time last year.

He attributed that drop to a shorter holiday period because U.S. Thanksgiving landed somewhat later in the calendar, as well as the economy.

“People are having to make tough choices, and there’s probably less money to go around to donate,” he said.

“It’s a crisis for the Salvation Army because it could possibly impact our delivery of service to Canadians who at a time in our history in Canada probably need us more than at any time, and that is deeply concerning.”

Murray said the Army would like the federal government to consider moving the deadline for a charity-related tax deduction from year-end to the end of January or February, allowing donors to send their cheques later than usual but still get credited for the 2024 tax year.

He said donors are not motivated by tax incentives, but it could be a factor and he’s worried some people “may just simply forgo their donations” if they are unable to give until 2025.

“People get caught up in the generous season, and if this postal strike drags on, I think there’s a risk that people will just simply move on,” he said.

“If we can move back that charitable giving date to allow them to get their tax receipts for 2024 I would say that that’s a win-win, and would be a good consolation for the challenge that we as a charity are feeling right now.”

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers — representing more than 55,000 members — began its job action Nov. 15 over issues that include how to deploy staff for proposed weekend delivery shifts.

Murray said mail-in appeals are particularly effective because the Army’s core donors are over the age of 55 and more likely to rely on the postal service. He adds that the letters do more than just ask for money by sharing stories of hope and transformation and detailing how donations help real people.

While there are other ways to donate, Murray said “there’s nothing like people still putting a pen to paper, putting a cheque in the mail, putting that stamp on the envelope and mailing it.”

The Salvation Army is asking people to give online at SalvationArmy.ca, by phone at 1-800-SAL-ARMY or in person at one of its 2,000 Christmas kettle locations countrywide.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 9, 2024.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Preview

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

Hayden Panettiere, a onetime child star who soared to fame in the TV shows “Heroes” and “Nashville” while enduring struggles with alcohol addiction and depression, has died. She was 36.

Police said Panettiere was found unresponsive in an apartment in Greenville, South Carolina, shortly before 2 p.m. Sunday. Lifesaving measures were performed but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

No cause of death has been determined and Panettiere's death remains under investigation. An autopsy found no signs of trauma and police said officers saw no signs of foul play.

The television and film performer, who would have turned 37 on Friday, had been open about her private battles and wrote at length about them in the memoir, “This Is Me,” which came out in May. She described lifelong scars from her early fame, and acknowledged being addicted to alcohol and enduring postpartum depression after the birth of her daughter, Kaya, with Ukrainian boxer Wladimir Klitschko in 2014.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

An ambassador, a petition and 213,000 signatures

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

An ambassador, a petition and 213,000 signatures

Editorial 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

You have to admit, they have a point.

As of 7 a.m. on Monday, 209,909 Canadians had signed it. By 9:41 a.m., that number had reached 211,846. By 10:54 a.m., 213,124. And there are months left to sign.

It is an electronic petition to have the U.S. Ambassador to Canada, Pete Hoekstra, ousted and sent back to Trump’s America.

The reasons? Well, ambassadors are meant to represent the national positions of their governments and you could argue that Hoekstra is doing exactly that: his blunt pronouncements on things such as Canadian sovereignty sound very much like the words of one Donald Trump, President of the United States.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:28 PM CDT

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:28 PM CDT

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Updated: 4:47 PM CDT

Manitoba has added 4,725 net new health-care workers to the provincial system since the NDP won the October 2023 election, Premier Wab Kinew told reporters Tuesday.

The government’s total includes 370 doctors, 1,464 nurses, 2,152 health-care aides and 607 allied health professionals, a group that includes physiotherapists, dietitians, paramedics, medical lab technologists and others.

Kinew said more doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before.

“We also know there’s a lot that needs to be done,” he said at a news conference at Seven Oaks General Hospital in northwest Winnipeg.

Read
Updated: 4:47 PM CDT

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Preview

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read 12:50 PM CDT

A Manitoba pharmacist has been hit with $100,000 in fines and costs after a disciplinary panel found he dispensed a “staggering” amount of drugs that could not be accounted for.

Glen Pauch, who worked at a Portage la Prairie pharmacy, was fined the maximum $25,000 by the College of Pharmacists of Manitoba and ordered to pay another $75,000 toward the cost of the investigation and disciplinary proceedings.

A 28-page disciplinary decision, dated June 9, found more than 39,000 doses went unaccounted for while Pauch was consuming drugs and improperly dispensing controlled substances — including opioids oxycodone and hydromorphone, and Concerta, a stimulant prescribed for ADHD — to 11 patients.

The college found Pauch failed to properly document the drugs he dispensed and did not maintain required records for controlled substances returned to the pharmacy or received from suppliers.

Read
12:50 PM CDT