Vacant church fire latest in city’s growing crisis Point Douglas parish a total loss; ‘I’m… desensitized’: church secretary

A flame-ravaged church suffered a final blow Monday night, becoming the latest victim in a scourge of fires repeatedly striking Winnipeg’s vacant properties and running emergency crews ragged.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 07/01/2025 (589 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A flame-ravaged church suffered a final blow Monday night, becoming the latest victim in a scourge of fires repeatedly striking Winnipeg’s vacant properties and running emergency crews ragged.

Holy Ascension Greek Orthodox Church — now reduced to a roofless, burned-out heap — is a symbol of the growing issue, which reached record highs last year and shows no signs of slowing.

“It’s quite frustrating because it’s a significant use of resources when we have to return to these and they pose an ongoing risk,” Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service deputy chief Scott Wilkinson said.

“When you fight this many fires this frequently, it’s almost a matter of time (before somebody gets hurt).”–Nick Kasper

“It’s been an escalating issue for quite a number of years. In 2024, we don’t have final year numbers, but it anecdotally appears we’ve surpassed all previous years with the number of vacant building fires, unfortunately.”

Firefighters battle a blaze at Holy Ascension Greek Orthodox Church at 197 Euclid Ave. in Winnipeg Monday evening. (John Woods / Free Press)
Firefighters battle a blaze at Holy Ascension Greek Orthodox Church at 197 Euclid Ave. in Winnipeg Monday evening. (John Woods / Free Press)

Firefighters arrived at the church near Main Street and Euclid Avenue at about 6:15 p.m. to find the building engulfed in smoke and flames. They were able to fight the fire only from the outside because the building was not safe to enter, the WFPS said.

The temperature was -20 C as firefighters battled the blaze throughout the evening before it was declared under control at about 1 a.m. The building, which also burned in June and was damaged by fires at a neighbouring property in 2023 and 2021, is a complete loss, the WFPS said.

“I’m kind of desensitized to it at this point. It’s sad, but I have to be,” church secretary Stephanie Sarlakis said, speaking outside the ruined structure.

Sarlakis, who visited the building Tuesday to take photos and assess the damage, said the church has been plagued by repeated break-ins, thefts and fires that drove the congregation away.

It has officially sat vacant since September but was largely unused dating back to the summer when the last fire caused extensive damage to the basement and banquet area. Holy Ascension did not have insurance on the building, constructed in 1938, which had been denied coverage because of damage to its roof, boiler and other infrastructure, she said.

The parish’s congregation of approximately two dozen people had resorted to hosting services in their own homes.

The church has been plagued by repeated break-ins, thefts and fires that drove the congregation away. (John Woods / Free Press)

The church has been plagued by repeated break-ins, thefts and fires that drove the congregation away. (John Woods / Free Press)

The property was listed for sale and a potential buyer had been interested, Sarlakis said. Monday’s blaze struck on the eve of Orthodox Christmas, exacerbating the pain of former parishioners who scoured social media for updates as the house of worship burned, she added.

“We’ll regroup after the holidays and come together as a board and figure it out.”

Mynarski Coun. Ross Eadie said securing insurance is challenging for many properties in the ward, which encompasses parts of the North End and Point Douglas.

“It’s a huge cost. Huge. Small businesses, residents, everybody is suffering here because of the social ills out there on the streets,” Eadie said. “You’ve got these people, whether they are stealing to feed their drug habit, or whatever they are doing, they are the ones who are doing this… we have to provide more opportunity for people not to get into that racket.”

Evidence of squatters littered the building in the months before Monday’s fire, with the interior pillaged of metal piping and wires. Discarded condoms and drug paraphernalia have also been found, Sarlakis said.

Garry Saniuk, the caretaker for an adjacent apartment complex, agreed the former church is frequently targeted by people living on the streets. The 72-year-old man spent the night curled up inside a sleeping bag in his apartment, which was left without heat and electricity for up to seven hours.

The power was restored around 3 a.m., with the temperature dipping below 18 C in his suite, he said.

“It’s a concern,” Saniuk said of vacant buildings and fires in his neighbourhood. “One of the punishments (authorities) should give these people who light these fires is to send them to the burn unit in a hospital for a day and let them see what kind of devastation people suffer.”

The cause of Monday’s fire remains under investigation, but Wilkinson said it was likely manmade.

“When we have buildings that are vacant and secured with no utilities connected to them, there aren’t too many other options,” he said.

The fire in June was being investigated as arson, police said at the time. United Fire Fighters of Winnipeg Local 867 president Nick Kasper said city firefighters face some of the highest call volumes and lowest temperatures in the country. Vacant buildings are dangerous because they are difficult to access and ventilate.

Such properties can present unknown structural hazards, and are typically more involved in fires by the time they are reported, he said.

“That takes a pretty significant toll on our people. Firefighting is a hazardous profession at the best of times and these risks are compounded exponentially,” Kasper said.

“When you fight this many fires this frequently, it’s almost a matter of time (before somebody gets hurt).”

The church had officially been vacant since September.  (Mike Deal / Free Press)
The church had officially been vacant since September. (Mike Deal / Free Press)

Union data suggests firefighters faced an average of 20 vacant property fires per month last year. In the first six days of 2025, crews saw eight significant fires including several in vacant buildings, he said.

The union leader called for more fire resources, saying staff and equipment are stretched dangerously thin. He also said the number of vacant properties must be reduced as soon as possible.

Kasper credited his fellow firefighters for their bravery and dedication in the face of challenging circumstances. Last month, the city began work on a pilot project to inspect unsafe conditions at properties sooner, in the hopes vacant buildings are dealt with before they are set ablaze.

City officials were monitoring 684 properties under Winnipeg’s vacant buildings bylaw, including 526 residential and 158 commercial spots, at the time. The WFPS urged anybody who sees someone entering a vacant building to immediately contact emergency services.

tyler.searle@freepress.mb.ca

Tyler Searle

Tyler Searle
Reporter

Tyler Searle is a multimedia producer who writes for the Free Press’s city desk. A graduate of Red River College Polytechnic’s creative communications program, he wrote for the Stonewall Teulon Tribune, Selkirk Record and Express Weekly News before joining the paper in 2022. Read more about Tyler.

Every piece of reporting Tyler produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Tuesday, January 7, 2025 4:49 PM CST: Changes headline, adds deck, quotes, details

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Everyone must play the long game

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

Everyone must play the long game

Editorial 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Today’s decision is just one small point on a continuum that will go on until Trump is no longer president or, as a nation, we manage to disentangle our economy from our nearest neighbour to the greatest extent possible.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 2 minute read Preview

Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 2 minute read 11:02 AM CDT

A new report shows 94 complaints were flagged to Manitoba’s independent teacher commissioner during a 15-month period.

Commissioner Noni Classen has released a summary of the professional misconduct concerns and findings of investigations between January 2025 and March 2026.

The regulatory college was established on Jan. 6, 2025.

“These processes can be difficult and deeply personal for everyone involved, including students, families, teachers and school administrators,” Classen wrote in the 24-page document released this week.

Read
11:02 AM CDT

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Preview

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

A three-person crew, employed by the city as part of its recently expanded proactive cleanup program, allowed the Free Press to follow along last week while they worked to make the Freight House Recreation Centre's property safe to play in.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Carney touts ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs for three days

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Carney touts ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs for three days

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 6:27 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - U.S. President Donald Trump announced late Tuesday a last-minute deal to delay new tariffs from slamming an array of Canadian products for three days.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said in response there’s still important work to do.

"Over the last number of weeks, Canada has engaged in intensive discussions with the United States to address outstanding trade issues and deliver greater certainty and real benefits for Canadian businesses, workers, farmers and families," Carney said in a statement.

He said "substantial progress" has been made and Canada is focused on "building a stronger, more independent and more competitive economy at home."

Read
Updated: 6:27 AM CDT

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

Working together in a trade war

Norman Brandson 5 minute read Preview

Working together in a trade war

Norman Brandson 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

In the Second World War, a grand coalition, held together politically by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, succeeded in defeating Nazi Germany, after many bumps in the road. The rich history of this period reinforces the truism that coalitions — bringing together parties of divergent strength and interests to face together a common challenge — are fraught with many points of potential fracture.

Canada was not only a partner in the great international war effort but also fashioned a national coalition — presided over by Prime Minister Mackenzie King — necessitated by the federalist nature of our government. It worked after a fashion — conscription notwithstanding — and we emerged as a trusted friend and ally of our southern neighbour.

Oh, how times have changed. We are again faced with an existential threat; not to be compared to a world war, but serious enough given it’s posed not by a distant foe on another continent, but by the most powerful country in the world, with whom we share 8,800 kilometres of heretofore undefended border.

The unprovoked attack on Canada has been economic; tariffs, threats of tariffs, scrapped trade agreements and so forth — measures that have already had significant impact and promise to escalate. How does a country of 10 quasi-independent provinces with a national government constitutionally pre-eminent in international relations respond?

Read
2:00 AM CDT