NDP promised 800 hip, knee replacements in Selkirk this year; just 79 done so far

Just 79 hip and knee surgeries have been completed at Selkirk Regional Health Centre so far this year after the Manitoba government promised 800 would be performed in 2025.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/05/2025 (463 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Just 79 hip and knee surgeries have been completed at Selkirk Regional Health Centre so far this year after the Manitoba government promised 800 would be performed in 2025.

The pledge was part of the NDP’s plan to meet demand and reduce wait times.

The Selkirk program announced in November — which added staff and expanded operating space — was to launch in January, but did not start until March.

Mikaela MacKenzie / Free Press files 
The Selkirk hip and knee surgery program was to launch in January, but did not start until March.
Mikaela MacKenzie / Free Press files

The Selkirk hip and knee surgery program was to launch in January, but did not start until March.

The 79 hip and knee procedures performed between March 12 and May 4 — close to 10 per week — put the program on track for about 520 surgeries this year, a significant reduction from the promised 800.

The Selkirk hip and knee surgery program is limited to patients who can be discharged in a day and don’t need lengthy hospital stays.

However, the pace is picking up, according to the Interlake-Eastern Health Region.

“The program continued to increase the number of patients accessing surgeries in April as it moves towards target by increasing surgeries,” the region said in an email Monday.

No one overseeing the program was made available for an interview. Neither was Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara.

“The average number of patients accessing hip and knee surgeries in May is increasing and the number will continue to grow as we work towards achieving our target goal of 800 surgeries completed per fiscal year,” the health region email said.

Dr. Ed Buchel, the provincial surgery specialty lead for Shared Health, said at the program’s Nov. 27 announcement that 800 additional surgeries each year at one site is an “astronomical number” representing fundamental change, and that, provincewide, capacity would rise to nearly 7,800 joints per year, matching the needs of Manitoba’s population.

Buchel said the increased capacity would spare any new patients from becoming “long-waiters” whose surgery date — if they’re able to obtain one — is more than a year down the road.

Asagwara took the opportunity at that event to take a shot at the previous Tory government, which had formed a surgical wait-time task force that sent some Manitoba patients to other provinces and to the United States to get needed surgeries.

The task force was scrapped in 2023 when the NDP formed government promising to redirect funding to the public system.

“We know as a government that cutting wait times… does not have to be complicated,” Asagwara said at the November announcement.

“We’re talking about people who are in pain,  many people whose lives have been drastically altered by the fact that they need an orthopedic surgery.”–PC Health Critic Kathleen Cook

“You don’t need to send folks out of province or out of the country to get the essential surgical care that they need and can get, and deserve to get, right here at home.”

On Monday, critics accused the province of over-promising and under-delivering on the plan.

“I would like to see the promises that are made be realistic and more to do with the actual investment into the system,” said Manitoba Association of Health Care Professionals president Jason Linklater.

“Based on the (promised) number of 800 cases, it would be very ambitious at this point, because they’re only on track to do a little over half of that.”

Progressive Conservative health critic Kathleen Cook said Monday that while there’s nothing wrong with being ambitious, the NDP have given people false hope.

“We’re talking about people who are in pain — many people whose lives have been drastically altered by the fact that they need an orthopedic surgery,” said the MLA for Roblin.

Physicians advocacy group Doctors Manitoba said it had anticipated that Selkirk’s increase in hip and knee surgeries would take time to get up and running, and that it’s important to ensure that adding hip and knee surgeries there doesn’t take away from other procedures at the hospital.

The organization said its overall concern is with the growth in the wait list and wait times.

“While 800 more surgeries in Selkirk is a significant and positive 12 per cent boost to the total number of hip and knee surgeries done in Manitoba, it is not keeping up with the wait list, which has grown by 1,471 patients, or 28 per cent, over the last year,” a spokesman said.

“This means the current wait time of 32 weeks, which is already beyond the medically recommended benchmark and the Canadian average, is at risk of getting even longer in the months ahead.”

In the 2024-2025 fiscal year, 6,059 hip and knee surgeries were performed in the province, according to Manitoba Health online data. The number of Manitobans waiting was 6,652 as of February.

Ruth Bonneville / Free Press files 
Dr. Ed Buchel, the provincial surgery specialty lead for Shared Health, has said the expected increase in capacity for hip and knee replacements would prevent any new patients from being

Ruth Bonneville / Free Press files

Dr. Ed Buchel, the provincial surgery specialty lead for Shared Health, has said the expected increase in capacity for hip and knee replacements would prevent any new patients from being "long-waiters" for surgery.

“I think everybody wants to see government meet those types of targets, because it benefits everybody,” Linklater said.

But a shortage of diagnostic imaging, lab, physiotherapy and occupational therapy professionals needed to successfully implement such a plan, ensures it’s not realistic, he said.

“It’s really important that government takes into consideration the entire picture when they’re implementing this much-needed change to be able to increase capacity,” Linklater said.

Investing in education to get more young people into allied health professions to staff up such programs is needed.

“That eventually gets you to a place where you don’t have things like backlogs and wait lists, because that’s going to take a long time to clean up,” Linklater said.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, many surgeries — including hip and knee replacements — were postponed as the health-care system was overwhelmed with critically ill Manitobans and staffing levels already stretched thin.

carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca

“We’re talking about people who are in pain.” – PC health critic Kathleen Cook

Carol Sanders

Carol Sanders
Legislature reporter

Carol Sanders is a reporter at the Free Press legislature bureau. The former general assignment reporter and copy editor joined the paper in 1997. Read more about Carol.

Every piece of reporting Carol produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

 

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Free fix is in: repair café aims to keep items out of landfills

Tiago Resko 3 minute read Preview

Free fix is in: repair café aims to keep items out of landfills

Tiago Resko 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:09 PM CDT

Stephen Kirk wants to give people a chance to fix items they’re not ready to let go of.

The Spence Neighbourhood Association staffer took notice when repair cafés started popping up around the world, and he decided to bring the idea to Winnipeg.

The café invites people to bring broken items like bikes, clothes and small kitchen appliances to the association’s headquarters to get free repairs by a team of skilled volunteers.

“Certainly in our neighbourhood, a lot of people’s motivation is economic, they would rather fix it than have to buy a new one,” said Kirk, the environmental and open spaces coordinator for the Spence Neighbourhood Association.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 12:09 PM CDT

How well do you know your city? Put your knowledge to the test with our 10-question quiz.

Manitoba man lied about abduction: N.D. police

Scott Billeck 2 minute read Yesterday at 3:17 PM CDT

U.S. authorities say a Manitoba man falsely claimed he had been kidnapped and taken across the Canada-U.S. border over the weekend.

Roderick Garson, 37, is being held in a county jail near Alexandria, Minn., after he was arrested and charged with falsely reporting a crime.

The arrest stems from a report police received Saturday that a man had been abducted with a weapon in Manitoba and taken across the border into the United States.

The investigation led U.S. authorities to Alexandria, about two hours northwest of Minneapolis, where police located the reported victim and suspect after the latter ran into a local store claiming he had escaped from his 31-year-old unnamed captor.

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:28 PM CDT

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:28 PM CDT

Letters, Aug. 18

7 minute read Preview

Letters, Aug. 18

7 minute read Updated: 8:57 AM CDT

A huge shout out to David Asper, coach Mike Raimbault and his staff, all those involved in game-day and office activities and all the Winnipeg Sea Bears players for an outstanding and very entertaining championship basketball season.

Read
Updated: 8:57 AM CDT

Kinew pledges temporary ER in Dauphin by Labour Day

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Kinew pledges temporary ER in Dauphin by Labour Day

Free Press staff 2 minute read Updated: 9:49 AM CDT

Dauphin’s 8,400 residents, ravaged by floodwaters from unprecedented rainfall in June that has left the city without its hospital for the entire summer, will have a temporary but functioning ER shortly, Premier Wab Kinew promised Monday.

Read
Updated: 9:49 AM CDT