Winnipeg Folk Festival ends 50th anniversary on a high note

Advertisement

Advertise with us

There were no serious medical emergencies or major incidents at this year’s Winnipeg Folk Festival, which ran from July 10 to 13 at Birds Hill Provincial Park.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/07/2025 (401 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

There were no serious medical emergencies or major incidents at this year’s Winnipeg Folk Festival, which ran from July 10 to 13 at Birds Hill Provincial Park.

“Overall, folk fest was a huge success this year,” RCMP Cpl. Melanie Roussel said Tuesday via email.

Officers patrolling the festival site on foot and by vehicle made one arrest over the weekend involving an individual who was on drugs, Roussel said. That person was later released with no charges.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                 Longtime folk fest attendee Greg Docker enjoys a spritz of water at the site last week.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Longtime folk fest attendee Greg Docker enjoys a spritz of water at the site last week.

On Saturday, the festival put out an alert regarding a substance that was circulating in gel-cap mushrooms causing adverse reactions, such as fainting.

The issue was noted by the festival’s on-site safety and first aid crews, which treated 12 people with symptoms on Thursday and Friday.

“No one was hospitalized, and after the alert was issued, we received no further reports of similar incidents,” said festival marketing and communications manager Lee-Anne Van Buekenhout via email.

The organization doesn’t offer drug-checking services at the festival and its website advises patrons to test substances before arriving at the event. Security and first aid volunteers carry naloxone kits.

The air-quality health index was above or near 10 for most of the weekend, owing to smoke from local wildfires — a level at which the federal government recommends strenuous outdoor activities be reduced or rescheduled for the general public, and that people at risk, such as seniors, children and those with respiratory issues, avoid being outdoors at all.

The festival sent out an advisory via its app on Saturday morning advising attendees travelling from the city to come prepared with masks.

Festival staff are reviewing the weekend’s incidents and, on Tuesday, had no formal reports listing smoke as a factor.

“We follow government regulations and will continue to communicate with our audience to ensure they come prepared and make their own decisions on what is best for them,” Van Buekenhout said. “Climate change is affecting all outdoor events, and we continue to assess and adjust our processes in response.”

The festival reported a record-breaking attendance of 79,000 ticketholders, including volunteers, artists, donors, vendors and sponsors, over the 50th anniversary weekend.

The 50th anniversary had an average front-of-house capacity of 15,171 paid visitors per day, not including volunteers and artists. Single-day tickets sold out on Friday and Saturday. Four-day passes, with and without camping, sold out prior to the festival.

Headliners included Americana artist Jason Isbell, Canadian roots artist Allison Russell, singer-songwriter Ani DiFranco, R&B legend Mavis Staples, Vancouver indie-pop band Peach Pit and Winnipeg vocal powerhouse Begonia.

The 51st Winnipeg Folk Festival will take place July 9-12, 2026.

— staff

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 3 minute read Preview

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 3 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

This weekend, the Mole Mobile will set up shop at three Winnipeg Walmart locations. The mobile clinic will have certified dermatologists on site to screen suspicious-looking moles or lesions for skin cancer.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Adding emergency doctors, nurses and support staff is great, but it won’t break the wait-time logjam

Dan Lett 5 minute read Preview

Adding emergency doctors, nurses and support staff is great, but it won’t break the wait-time logjam

Dan Lett 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 9:27 AM CDT

When Premier Wab Kinew recently announced his government had recruited more than 4,700 net new health-care professionals and support workers, the proclamation was met with quite a few rolling eyes.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 9:27 AM CDT

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Preview

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:48 PM CDT

Evan Nachtigall is trying not to get ahead of himself. But you’ll forgive the young Manitoba golfer for pondering the “what if” as he stands on the cusp of a career milestone.

Nachtigall, 25, sits alone on top of the Canadian Men’s Mid-Amateur championship through 54 holes. He is 17-under par and carries a two-shot lead into Friday’s final round at the Brantford Golf & Country Club in Ontario.

“It would be incredible, but there is a lot of golf left to go so I won’t be thinking too much about that until hopefully the final putt drops,” Nachtigall told reporters on scene Thursday.

The Brandon product is aiming to become the first Manitoban to win the national title since Todd Fanning did so in 2017, winning a playoff over Ontario’s Garrett Rank.

Read
Yesterday at 5:48 PM CDT

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT