‘Colonial decision-making’: First Nations denounce B.C. park closure as too short

Advertisement

Advertise with us

PEMBERTON, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA - Two First Nations are denouncing British Columbia's planned month-long closure of Joffre Lakes Park for Indigenous cultural practices as too short, calling it "a fraction" of what they proposed within their title and rights.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/08/2025 (366 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

PEMBERTON, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA – Two First Nations are denouncing British Columbia’s planned month-long closure of Joffre Lakes Park for Indigenous cultural practices as too short, calling it “a fraction” of what they proposed within their title and rights.

The Lilwat and N’Quatqua nations say the closure from Sept. 2 to Oct. 3 is a “continuation of colonial decision-making” that does not respect Indigenous authority over their traditional lands.

The B.C. government says it’s the third and final such closure of the park this year.

British Columbia's provincial flag flies on a flagpole in Ottawa on July 3, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
British Columbia's provincial flag flies on a flagpole in Ottawa on July 3, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

An online statement from the nations says they wanted a two-month closure, from Aug. 22 to Oct. 23, that the community needs “to reconnect with the land, conduct ceremonies, and gather food and medicines” as well as give the area a rest period from recreational use.

The province had said this week that the closure times are in line with last year’s and balance cultural, conservation and public access needs.

The Ministry of Environment and Parks also said the dates ensure Joffre Lakes will be open for public use on the Labour Day weekend.

The park was previously closed this year for three weeks, starting April 25, then for two weeks in June.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 21.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Ready to crack over late-night ‘snacks’

Maureen Scurfield 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: My new love has a seriously annoying habit that could break us up now that we’re actually living together.

I’m not getting much sleep, and it has nothing to do with having too much sex! Every night at about 2 a.m., my man gets up and goes to the fridge, makes a giant sandwich and pours a huge glass of apple juice, then sits there scarfing it down, with music on for a bit of entertainment. This often wakes me up, and when I complain he just invites me to join him “for a bite.”

Really? The last thing I need is to eat a fourth meal of the day in the middle of the night. He says it’s an old habit from his football days, when he was so hungry all the time and he still enjoys it. He says he isn’t about to change that for me, so, tough luck.

It’s a big problem as I can’t just fall back to sleep after he rattles around the kitchen and then comes back and jumps back into bed with me.

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Preview

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

A rural Manitoba MLA says he has heard from constituents who are “shocked and outraged” that a 66-year-old man is facing charges after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Letters, Aug. 22

7 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Foster system must be better

Re: Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope (Aug. 18)

Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine’s assertion that “you can’t train people not to be violent” should concern everyone who cares about the safety of children in Manitoba’s child welfare system.

Of course, no training program can guarantee that an individual will never harm a child. But framing these tragedies as the actions of a few “abominable” people risks absolving the system of its responsibility to prevent harm.