Liberal seeks recount after 18-vote loss in Newfoundland and Labrador election

Advertisement

Advertise with us

ST. JOHN'S - A Liberal who narrowly lost his seat in Newfoundland and Labrador’s provincial election says he has asked for a judicial recount in his district.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 24/10/2025 (303 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

ST. JOHN’S – A Liberal who narrowly lost his seat in Newfoundland and Labrador’s provincial election says he has asked for a judicial recount in his district.

Derek Bennett lost to Progressive Conservative Mark Butt by just 18 votes in the Lewisporte–Twillingate district in last week’s election.

In a statement, Bennett said he feels the close result deserves a thorough review and he filed an application for a recount Friday with the province’s Supreme Court.

Voters in Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Election at the polling station in the Holiday Inn in St. John's N.L., on Tuesday, Oct. 14, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Daly
Voters in Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Election at the polling station in the Holiday Inn in St. John's N.L., on Tuesday, Oct. 14, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Daly

He previously told The Canadian Press he was concerned about an hours-long power outage that occurred in his district on the day of the vote.

The province’s election laws say districts with a margin of victory of 10 votes or less are subject to automatic recounts, but candidates or electors can request a review.

The Progressive Conservatives won 21 of 40 seats in the Oct. 14 election, netting the party a slim majority over the incumbent Liberals, who won 15 seats.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 24, 2025.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Uncategorized

LOAD UNCATEGORIZED ARTICLES