Return trips from U.S. by Canadian residents still down from year ago

Advertisement

Advertise with us

OTTAWA - Statistics Canada says the number of return trips from the U.S. by Canadian residents in September was down 30.9 per cent compared with a year ago, while trips to Canada by U.S. residents fell 2.6 per cent.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/11/2025 (272 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

OTTAWA – Statistics Canada says the number of return trips from the U.S. by Canadian residents in September was down 30.9 per cent compared with a year ago, while trips to Canada by U.S. residents fell 2.6 per cent.

The agency said September broke a three-month summer streak that saw more Americans travel to Canada than Canadians headed to the U.S.

Overall, Canadian residents returned from 3.3 million trips abroad in September, down 22.7 per cent compared with a year earlier, while return trips from the U.S. by automobile fell 33.8 per cent to 1.6 million.

Canadian and U.S. flags fly atop the Peace Arch monument at the Douglas-Peace Arch border crossing in Surrey, B.C., Monday, Nov. 8, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Canadian and U.S. flags fly atop the Peace Arch monument at the Douglas-Peace Arch border crossing in Surrey, B.C., Monday, Nov. 8, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

The number of Canadian-resident return trips by air from the United States in September totalled 567,100, down 19.3 per cent compared with a year earlier, while Canadian return trips by air from overseas countries increased 6.1 per cent to 997,400.

U.S.-resident trips to Canada in September totalled 2.1 million, including 1.2 million by automobile. The number of trips to Canada by overseas residents in September rose 7.4 per cent to 734,200 as arrivals from Europe gained 5.8 per cent and those coming from Asia climbed 14.6 per cent.

The results for September come after preliminary figures for October released last week showed the number of Canadian residents who returned by automobile from the U.S. fell to 1.4 million for that month, a 30.5 per cent drop from the same period in 2024, while the number of Canadians returning home from south of the border by air sank to 437,300, down 24 per cent.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 20, 2025.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

‘Take it to the bank’: premier insists temporary ER will open in Dauphin by Labour Day, but nurses skeptical

Carol Sanders 4 minute read Preview

‘Take it to the bank’: premier insists temporary ER will open in Dauphin by Labour Day, but nurses skeptical

Carol Sanders 4 minute read 6:34 PM CDT

Premier Wab Kinew insisted Tuesday that the flood-shuttered Dauphin hospital will have a temporary emergency department in place by Labour Day, but offered no details on the plan.

“I’m here telling you, take it to the bank — Labour Day — emergency department services in Dauphin,” the premier said when asked about it at an unrelated news conference in Winnipeg.

The Dauphin Regional Health Centre was forced to evacuate 54 patients and close its doors on July 1 after the Parkland region experienced severe flooding.

“You’re going to see temporary structures being stood up there over the next few weeks with an opening day of Labour Day because we know how important health care is to people in Dauphin.”

Read
6:34 PM CDT

Best to fess up about grandkid-sitting fatigue

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Dear Miss Lonelyhearts: We love our grandchildren, but now we’re sick of them. The two sets of parents — our adult children — have been parking their kids out here on the farm with us while they take back-to-back road trips to see their friends. We’ve had enough.

Grandma and I want them to come back and get the “brats” (just joking, they’re nice kids) so we can relax.

You have to be so careful with city kids around the farm who don’t know when they’re going to make a mistake and get hoofed by an animal or run over by a farm implement.

How do we tell our kids the party is over early, and they really need to come back before grandma and I give out?

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Take advantage of hydroelectric potential

Jerry Storie 5 minute read Preview

Take advantage of hydroelectric potential

Jerry Storie 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Manitoba Hydro tells us that we are going to need significant new electricity generation over the coming decades.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Preview

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Yesterday at 5:49 PM CDT

A three-person crew, employed by the city as part of its recently expanded proactive cleanup program, allowed the Free Press to follow along last week while they worked to make the Freight House Recreation Centre's property safe to play in.

Read
Yesterday at 5:49 PM CDT

RRC shelter support worker program grads seek to make difference in lives of province’s most vulnerable

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Preview

RRC shelter support worker program grads seek to make difference in lives of province’s most vulnerable

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read 7:12 PM CDT

Pauline Pollard didn’t hesitate when asked what advice she would give her teenage self, a pregnant young mother of one in an abusive relationship.

“Leave sooner,” she said, citing everything she’s learned over the last 25 years, including at Red River College Polytechnic’s shelter support worker program.

The 43-year-old said she has “a lot of compassion” for women of all ages who find themselves stuck in unsafe situations.

It’s far easier in retrospect to see the warning signs, noting that in her case, an ex-boyfriend started confiscating her clothes and makeup before his controlling behaviour escalated to physical violence.

Read
7:12 PM CDT