City could freeze water rates if high usage continues Nearly $70M in unexpected revenue poured in last year

A surge in water use boosted city revenues in 2025 and, if it continues, might help ease the pinch of future utility bill hikes.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

A surge in water use boosted city revenues in 2025 and, if it continues, might help ease the pinch of future utility bill hikes.

The City of Winnipeg has long warned Winnipeggers could pay much more to turn on their taps and flush their toilets in future years, since water and sewer rates will help fund a nearly $3.1-billion upgrade to the north end sewage treatment plant.

However, water use shot up 8.1 per cent last year, raising $67 million more revenue than expected, a financial update noted.

People clear snow after an overnight storm in Winnipeg on Dec. 18, 2025. The cost of snow-clearing is one of the main reasons for the city's $14.3-million deficit. (John Woods / The Canadian Press files)
People clear snow after an overnight storm in Winnipeg on Dec. 18, 2025. The cost of snow-clearing is one of the main reasons for the city's $14.3-million deficit. (John Woods / The Canadian Press files)

Coun. Jeff Browaty said the city will review water and sewer rates going forward to see if freezing them could be an option in future years.

“It is quite a bit of additional revenue … We’ll be able to, perhaps, pay for a little bit more of (the north end plant upgrade) with cash, as opposed to having to borrow (money). And, maybe, there’s an opportunity to review rates going forward as well,” said Browaty, city council’s finance chairman.

The city links the increased water use to multiple factors, including population growth, dry summer weather and more accurate billing (due to more old meters being replaced).

The drier summer led people to water lawns and gardens more, while Winnipeg’s population has grown steadily over the past three years, said Browaty (North Kildonan).

The city will closely monitor water use to figure out if last year’s surge was an anomaly or continuing trend, which will help determine if rates can hold steady, he said.

“This is certainly a positive variance. (And) when it comes to affordability for residents, last year’s (water and sewer rate) increases hit people hard,” said Browaty.

On April 1, 2025, a hefty sewer rate hike of $168.03 for a sample household took effect for the rest of the year. The same day, Winnipeg’s annual per-home garbage fee rose to $254 (prorated to $190.50) from $93 the previous year. The property tax also rose 5.95 per cent last year, which cost a sample home $386.50 more.

Later in 2025, city council approved another $44 increase to the annual water and sewer rate, which was effective Jan. 1, and a $68 hike to follow in 2027.

A city news release also indicated future rates will be reviewed following the increased water use.

“It is quite a bit of additional revenue.”

“This budget variance will be used to fund significant capital investments, such as the north end (sewage) treatment plant, reducing the need for debt. We will consider changes in water billing or consumption habits as part of our annual review of water rates,” it stated.

The revenue boost was noted in a broader city budget update.

Overall, the City of Winnipeg ended 2025 with a $14.3-million deficit in its tax-supported operating budget, based on unaudited numbers up to Dec. 31 of last year.

The shortfall will be covered by the city’s financial stabilization reserve, which will drop to $25.9 million after that transfer, well below a council-imposed minimum balance of $85.1 million set for that year.

Browaty noted the stabilization reserve was greatly depleted during the COVID-19 pandemic and has only partially recovered since.

A finance report blames the 2025 deficit on a late-year surge in snow-clearing costs, reduced planning, property and development revenues and an unbudgeted legal settlement payment, among other cost pressures.

In October, city council approved a $7-million settlement in lawsuits filed by three First Nations men who were wrongfully convicted of killing a restaurant worker in 1973.

Finance officials note city departments also met a collective target to save $51.8 million during 2025.

Cost-cutting measures, debt deferral, the removal of the federal carbon tax and a boost in interest rate earnings helped meet that target.

“This is certainly a positive variance.”

The figure included $20.5 million of vacancy management savings, as well as $26.2 million of savings from other cost-cutting measures and a separate $5.1-million savings target met by the Winnipeg Police Service.

Winnipeg’s planning, property and development department came in $6.1 million over budget, largely because its revenues fell short of expectations. The public works department fell $2.4 million short for the year, largely due to the cost to clear heavy snowfall in December.

Other losses from the city’s asset and project management department and the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service added to the deficit.

joyanne.pursaga@freepress.mb.ca

@joyanne_pursaga

Joyanne Pursaga

Joyanne Pursaga
Reporter

Joyanne is city hall reporter for the Winnipeg Free Press. A reporter since 2004, she began covering politics exclusively in 2012, writing on city hall and the Manitoba Legislature for the Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in early 2020. Read more about Joyanne.

Every piece of reporting Joyanne produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Monday, April 13, 2026 4:48 PM CDT: Adds clarification

Updated on Monday, April 13, 2026 6:02 PM CDT: Adds details

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Carney touts ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs for three days

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Carney touts ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs for three days

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 12:09 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - U.S. President Donald Trump announced late Tuesday a last-minute deal to delay new tariffs from slamming an array of Canadian products for three days.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said in response there’s still important work to do.

"Over the last number of weeks, Canada has engaged in intensive discussions with the United States to address outstanding trade issues and deliver greater certainty and real benefits for Canadian businesses, workers, farmers and families," Carney said in a statement.

He said "substantial progress" has been made and Canada is focused on "building a stronger, more independent and more competitive economy at home."

Read
Updated: 12:09 AM CDT

Pembina Valley man facing charges after gun fired at suspected thieves

2 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:52 PM CDT

A 66-year-old Pembina Valley man is facing weapons charges after RCMP say he fired shots at people accused of stealing from his property twice in one day.

RCMP say four people went to a rural private property in the RM of Dufferin Saturday and then returned later in the day with two vehicles. The vehicles were later confirmed to have been stolen from Watrous, Sask., RCMP said in a news release Tuesday.

The property owner was alerted to the activity by a motion camera and went to the area, where he saw the suspects transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles.

The man confronted the suspects with a firearm and fired shots towards the vehicles, RCMP said.

Fundraising rappel from top of downtown tower with persuasive granddaughter leaves 72-year-old exhilarated

Zoe Pierce 4 minute read Preview

Fundraising rappel from top of downtown tower with persuasive granddaughter leaves 72-year-old exhilarated

Zoe Pierce 4 minute read Yesterday at 1:58 PM CDT

It’s safe to say that most people don’t spend Tuesday mornings rappelling 83 metres down the side of a downtown building.

With their 72-year-old grandmother.

But that’s exactly how 23-year-old Morgan Parker started her Tuesday.

Parker and her grandmother Christine Jameus were among 50 Manitobans who took part in Easter Seals’ Drop Zone, raising money for Manitoba Possible, a non-profit organization working to eliminate barriers to full and equal participation for people with disabilities.

Read
Yesterday at 1:58 PM CDT

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

True North Sports and Entertainment was hit with a $12,000 fine for serving minors with fake IDs during a Winnipeg Jets White Out street party in 2025.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Working together in a trade war

Norman Brandson 5 minute read Preview

Working together in a trade war

Norman Brandson 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

In the Second World War, a grand coalition, held together politically by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, succeeded in defeating Nazi Germany, after many bumps in the road. The rich history of this period reinforces the truism that coalitions — bringing together parties of divergent strength and interests to face together a common challenge — are fraught with many points of potential fracture.

Canada was not only a partner in the great international war effort but also fashioned a national coalition — presided over by Prime Minister Mackenzie King — necessitated by the federalist nature of our government. It worked after a fashion — conscription notwithstanding — and we emerged as a trusted friend and ally of our southern neighbour.

Oh, how times have changed. We are again faced with an existential threat; not to be compared to a world war, but serious enough given it’s posed not by a distant foe on another continent, but by the most powerful country in the world, with whom we share 8,800 kilometres of heretofore undefended border.

The unprovoked attack on Canada has been economic; tariffs, threats of tariffs, scrapped trade agreements and so forth — measures that have already had significant impact and promise to escalate. How does a country of 10 quasi-independent provinces with a national government constitutionally pre-eminent in international relations respond?

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Ignore gossip, be good till girlfriend’s back

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: I am lonely to the bone. My girlfriend has been away working for the summer, and I promised I wouldn’t cheat on her. But now I have heard through the grapevine she’s seeing a guy who works at her kids’ camp.

I think the source can be trusted, because she’s a friend who cares about me, almost like a sister. Actually I think she kind of wants me herself, but never seems to cross that line. Should I believe her “inside information” when she might be wanting to go out with me herself?

My girlfriend won’t be back until the very end of August and the messages and phone calls back and forth have been less and less frequent. Maybe she’s just busy or getting rested up to see me — or maybe she’s seeing someone else. I’m feeling jealous and I hate it! Maybe I should see somebody else too. Please advise ASAP.

— Lonely and Suspicious, Transcona