N.B. potato chip maker says changes coming, as residents file claims

Advertisement

Advertise with us

FREDERICTON - A popular potato chip maker in New Brunswick says it is continuing efforts to limit its facility's impact on nearby residents.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $75*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.99/week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

FREDERICTON – A popular potato chip maker in New Brunswick says it is continuing efforts to limit its facility’s impact on nearby residents.

The Covered Bridge Potato Chip company says it started taking steps last year that included setting up a large fence, planting trees and adding sound-deadening measures.

The company’s president Brook Dickinson said in a statement Friday it would complete any outstanding tasks in the plan for its Woodstock, N.B., facility in the coming weeks and that it was in full compliance with municipal and provincial regulations. 

The Covered Bridge Potato Chip factory site is seen in Hartland, N.B., on Friday, May 9, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes
The Covered Bridge Potato Chip factory site is seen in Hartland, N.B., on Friday, May 9, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

Over a dozen residents of the town have said they are planning to take legal action against Covered Bridge for ruining their neighbourhood with noise, smells and traffic.

The allegations come less than a year after the company opened the facility following a fire that destroyed its original plant in nearby Waterville.

The group of 17 residents initially sent their claims to a provincial regulator called the Farm Practices Review Board.

The residents could pursue their case before the Court of King’s Bench if the review board decides it does not fall under its jurisdiction.

Dickinson said Covered Bridge has been “an active and positive member” of the town and region. 

“We contribute regularly and give back to the community that has supported us for over 17 years, including the last two years after our plant fire,” Dickinson wrote. 

“We appreciate the continued support as we work to create more jobs here in Carleton County.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 8, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip