Man, 61, accused of sexually abusing youth

Advertisement

Advertise with us

A 61-year-old man has been accused of luring and sexually assaulting a youth he knew through their family, Winnipeg police say.

Winnipeg Police Service sex crimes investigators were told earlier this month that a youth — whose age and sex is unclear — had been sexually assaulted by a man known to their family through their community, said police.

Police believe the suspect gave the youngster a cellphone and money and developed a relationship with them, before picking up the youth and taking them to a residence on the 200 block of Burrows Avenue on numerous occasions between March 31 and April 30 and sexually assaulting the victim.

The youth told investigators they were confined and threatened with violence if they were to disclose what was happening, police said.

Investigators arrested Mohammad Qasim, 61, at the Burrows Avenue address at about 6 a.m. on Wednesday.

Qasim has been charged with child luring, sexual assault, sexual assault with a weapon, sexual interference, forcible confinement and uttering threats. He remains in police custody.

Court records show Qasim was previously charged with one count of sexual interference. The charge was stayed in 2022 with Qasim agreeing to a one-year peace bond.

Sex crimes investigators are looking to speak with anyone who may have further information about the case at 204-986-6245. Tipsters can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 204-786-8477.

Report Error Submit a Tip

LOAD THIS JUST IN ARTICLES