Retail crime claims another 7-Eleven in city; shoplifters target stretch of St. Anne’s Road ‘almost daily’

Advertisement

Advertise with us

It may be a different location, but it’s a similar story playing out at a St. Vital 7-Eleven store that’s closing its doors at the end of the month.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $75*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.99/week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

It may be a different location, but it’s a similar story playing out at a St. Vital 7-Eleven store that’s closing its doors at the end of the month.

An employee, who spoke to the Free Press on condition of anonymity, said repeated shoplifting has made operating the 628 St. Anne’s Rd. convenience store location increasingly difficult.

The worker alleged the same group of repeat offenders has also targeted nearby businesses, including a Dollarama and a Domo gas station in the area.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
The 628 St. Anne’s Rd. location is the latest in a growing list of Winnipeg 7-Eleven stores to close since August 2024.
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

The 628 St. Anne’s Rd. location is the latest in a growing list of Winnipeg 7-Eleven stores to close since August 2024.

“It’s almost daily,” the employee said, standing inside a half-empty store plastered with clear-out signage Tuesday.

The store has had a mobile security service camera system sitting in its parking lot for a couple of years. The large, solar-powered system is supposed to deter theft and vandalism. A store employee said the system has helped, but not enough.

The closure comes less than a month after another 7-Eleven location at 1871 Main St. shut down.

Mynarski Coun. Ross Eadie previously linked that closure to ongoing crime in the area.

The St. Vital location is now the latest in a growing list of Winnipeg 7-Eleven stores to close since August 2024, when company representatives warned city councillors that up to 10 locations could be at risk because of retail crime.

By early 2025, at least six stores had closed, including locations on Ellice Avenue, Pembina Highway and McPhillips Street, though the company has not publicly confirmed the reasons behind each closure.

7-Eleven did not respond to a request for comment Tuesday and has previously declined to comment on other closures.

Last month, Mayor Scott Gillingham said after meeting with company officials that 7-Eleven was considering expanding in Winnipeg.

Gillingham, who previously did not have details on the new locations, did not respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

Meanwhile, staff at neighbouring businesses say theft remains a constant problem.

An employee at the Dollarama at 680 St. Anne’s Rd. told the Free Press the store experiences thefts every day.

“It’s just sad,” the employee said while pointing to gaps in product on snack shelves, including chocolate bars that had been stolen earlier in the day.

The worker said the store has no on-site security and claimed police response has done little to deter repeat offenders.

Dollarama acknowledged a request for comment but did not provide a response by late Tuesday afternoon.

A few blocks north, two printed photos of alleged shoplifters were taped to the front window of the Domo gas station at 583 St. Anne’s Rd.

“Multiple thefts. Do not open door. Do not serve,” both signs read.

One photo appeared to show an individual carrying several bags of potato chips, while another showed someone holding what looked like a garbage bag filled with merchandise.

An employee at the gas station said thefts happen almost every day, and sometimes multiple times a day.

“They come in with big bags and just fill them,” the employee said while remotely unlocking the front entrance for a customer paying for gas. “You never know what they’re going to take.”

The worker said staff have contacted police, but were told to only call if employees are threatened.

Domo, which is headquartered in Winnipeg, did not respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

St. Vital Coun. Brian Mayes, whose ward includes both the 7-Eleven and nearby Domo gas station, said neither business has contacted him directly about the issues, encouraging them to do so.

“I’ve been in that 7-Eleven many times when I’ve been out door-knocking. Sorry to hear that it’s closing,” Mayes said.

Mayes said one reason he rejoined the Winnipeg Police Board was to push for a police office or station to return to Winnipeg’s south end.

A small police office previously located in his ward closed more than a decade ago.

In December, the province launched a $10-million fund for businesses to offset the cost of new security equipment or property damage repairs on or after Aug. 23, 2024.

A total of 1,244 businesses have applied and $2.6 million has been paid out.

scott.billeck@freepress.mb.ca

Scott Billeck

Scott Billeck
Reporter

Scott Billeck is a general assignment reporter for the Free Press. A Creative Communications graduate from Red River College, Scott has more than a decade’s worth of experience covering hockey, football and global pandemics. He joined the Free Press in 2024.  Read more about Scott.

Every piece of reporting Scott produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

 

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD LOCAL ARTICLES