Man in hospital after hostage situation on King Edward

A man is in hospital after an exchange of gunfire with officers during a hostage situation on King Edward Street Friday, police say.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

A man is in hospital after an exchange of gunfire with officers during a hostage situation on King Edward Street Friday, police say.

Winnipeg Police Service spokesperson Const. Pat Saydak told reporters that members of the violent offender apprehension unit attempted to execute a warrant on a man in the King Edward neighbourhood at around 11 a.m.

The man ran away and broke into a nearby home on the 400 block of King Edward, he said.

“Shots were exchanged at this point,” said Saydak, noting police considered the three people inside the home hostages.

The suspect and hostages did not know each other, he said.

MIKE SUDOMA / FREE PRESS
                                Police attempted to execute a warrant on a man in the King Edward neighbourhood at around 11 a.m. when he broke into a nearby home.

MIKE SUDOMA / FREE PRESS

Police attempted to execute a warrant on a man in the King Edward neighbourhood at around 11 a.m. when he broke into a nearby home.

“Members of the tactical support team arrived and two of the hostages were successfully rescued, and in the process of rescuing the third hostage, it was noticed that the house was on fire,” he said.

Officers were able to remove the third hostage safely and, as the suspect fled through the rear of the house, he was met by police where another exchange of gunfire took place, Saydak said.

Police would not confirm whether the man had been shot.

The suspect was given first aid and taken to hospital by ambulance. His status is unknown, police said. There were no other injuries.

The fire was extinguished by Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service crews.

Police would not provide any information about the age of the hostages. Saydak called it a “highly volatile and fluid situation.”

“They ultimately saved the lives of three hostages,” the constable said.

It’s unclear how many officers were involved in the incident or fired their weapons.

MIKE SUDOMA / FREE PRESS
                                Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service crews extinguished a fire in a home during a hostage situation Friday.

MIKE SUDOMA / FREE PRESS

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service crews extinguished a fire in a home during a hostage situation Friday.

A resident in the area, who asked for anonymity, said he was driving down King Edward at about 10:30 a.m. when he saw two police officers standing in front of a home. One of the officers had their gun drawn as a man was walking outside through the front door.

“Suddenly, the police officer unloaded his gun,” the witness said.

The man did not see whether any of the gunshots hit the individual.

Sherry Lukianchuk, who lives in the area along with her daughter and grandchildren, witnessed the incident.

“We saw a girl being rushed out, pulled to safety and we probably heard several gunshots,” she said.

“We could only see her from a distance, but it almost seemed like (police) were dragging her,” said Lukianchuk. “There was a group of (officers) running across the street from one side to the other, and it looked like they were pulling her and shoving her quickly.”

Lukianchuk said she saw several police officers with long guns on the street.

The situation has left her shaken, she added.

“It’s pretty scary because I have grandchildren that live on the street,” she said.

Elisha Dacey, who lives a block away, was in a nearby parking lot and said she heard what she thought was a dozen gunshots in two bursts.

“The only details they would give me is that it was an active scene and it was serious,” she said.

“After the shots were fired, police told everybody to get into their homes,” she said.

MIKE SUDOMA/FREE PRESS
                                Samantha Anderson was outside having a cigarette when a police officer appeared from a yard and told people to get inside.

MIKE SUDOMA/FREE PRESS

Samantha Anderson was outside having a cigarette when a police officer appeared from a yard and told people to get inside.

Samantha Anderson has lived on nearby Queen Street for three years. She was outside having a cigarette when a police officer appeared from a yard and told people to get inside.

“He knocked on that door, that door, then came across to me and he said: ‘I need you to go inside. Go into the basement and hide. There’s a situation.”

Anderson didn’t need to be told twice.

She sheltered in her basement for about 20 minutes and heard gunshots ring out and was still rattled Friday afternoon. Her children attend nearby George Waters Middle School on Ferry Road and St. James Collegiate on Portage Avenue; both schools were placed under “hold and secure” during the incident.

“I’ve lived in places worse than here and I’ve never been told to go hide (by police). So, I’m a little shaken up, a little scared,” she said.

She said when she heard the shots, worry washed over her.

“I was like: ‘What’s going on?’” she said. “I’ve got kids. You don’t know where they are, so you just hope they’re at school and not walking home.”

Anderson said she still feels safe in the neighbourhood.

MIKE SUDOMA / FREE PRESS
                                Jacqui Kendrick said the incident has pushed her closer to moving outside the city.

MIKE SUDOMA / FREE PRESS

Jacqui Kendrick said the incident has pushed her closer to moving outside the city.

As she worked in the garden, Jacqui Kendrick said the incident has pushed her closer to moving outside the city. Her adult son was home alone when the daytime gunfight occurred metres away.

“Just knowing it could happen any time is pretty terrifying,” she said, police tape still on her fence.“Just reminding my kids again this is why we keep the doors locked — no matter what — all the time.”

Anderson and Kendrick said they are thankful for the police response and glad neither officers nor the hostages were hurt.

Police said the investigation has since been turned over to the province’s police watchdog, the Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba.

King Edward Street between St. Matthews and Silver avenues remains closed to traffic. Saydak said it was unclear when the area would reopen.

Police said there is no threat to public safety.

— with files from Nicole Buffie

morgan.modjeski@freepress.mb.ca

Morgan Modjeski

Morgan Modjeski
Reporter

Morgan Modjeski is a news reporter and multimedia producer for the Free PressRead more about Morgan.

Every piece of reporting Morgan produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Friday, May 29, 2026 2:13 PM CDT: Adds quotes, details.

Updated on Friday, May 29, 2026 3:20 PM CDT: Adds quotes, details from police Changes headline Adds Mike Sudoma photos

Updated on Friday, May 29, 2026 6:41 PM CDT: Updates with final

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Sea Bears finish on top

Joshua Frey-Sam 6 minute read Preview

Sea Bears finish on top

Joshua Frey-Sam 6 minute read Yesterday at 8:27 PM CDT

Beauty. Bliss. Ecstasy.

That is how Aug. 15, 2026 will be remembered in Winnipeg.

What was once a pipe dream in the city’s hoops community became an epic reality on Saturday, when Simon Hildebrandt, who grew up playing on the courts of this very town, made good on a three-pointer from the wing to crown the Winnipeg Sea Bears Canadian Elite Basketball League champions.

A storybook ending to a 98-84 victory over the Brampton Honey Badgers sent a CEBL attendance record of 12,519 fans into pandemonium at Canada Life Centre and capped a Finals run for the ages — one that was fraught with injury, impromptu player exits and unprecedented circumstances.

Read
Yesterday at 8:27 PM CDT

‘You vote with your bike’: cyclists celebrate freedoms, call for increased safety

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

‘You vote with your bike’: cyclists celebrate freedoms, call for increased safety

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Updated: 4:20 PM CDT

Patty Wiens got dressed up in her sparkly, hot pink cowboy boots to pedal and talk politics with more than 100 other people on Sunday.

The founder of Winnipeg’s Fancy Women Bike Ride called on attendees of the 2026 event to ask candidates in the upcoming civic election — a half-dozen of whom were in attendance — about their active transportation platforms.

“We’re here today, in an election year, to remind you that you vote with your bike,” Wiens told a crowd of nearly 120 cyclists gathered on the legislature grounds for the group ride.

“When (city council) candidates come to your door and ask what’s important to you, you’re going to say, ‘I want to ride my bike safely in the city. What are you going to do about it?’”

Read
Updated: 4:20 PM CDT

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Preview

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

A Winnipeg foster mother has admitted to violently assaulting her ill foster daughter and leaving her paralyzed after the girl resisted the woman’s efforts to provide her with medication, a court has heard.

Marilyn Keno, 26, pleaded guilty Friday to one count of aggravated assault.

Keno remains in custody and will be sentenced at a later date following the completion of a court-ordered pre-sentence report.

The maximum sentence for aggravated assault is 14 years in prison. Crown attorney Alanna Littman and defence lawyer Jeremy Kostiuk did not disclose what sentences they will be recommending.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Corroded Arlington overpass yields way for new hope of spanning urban chasm

Melissa Martin 6 minute read Preview

Corroded Arlington overpass yields way for new hope of spanning urban chasm

Melissa Martin 6 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

It’s an interesting quirk of timing, perhaps, that the end of two of Winnipeg’s most unlovely features are coming into view in the same few weeks. The rail lines that split the city in half, and the bridge that was built to tie it back together. The original problem, and the solution.

And in the confluence of those two ends, we have an opportunity to dream of what a better Winnipeg can be.

At a news conference on Wednesday, former federal transport minister Lloyd Axworthy laid out a vision for a rail line bypass that would remove more than 120 railway crossings from Winnipeg, route them through Crown and Manitoba Hydro corridor land south of the city, and reclaim 250 acres in the urban core for greenspace and development.

The next step is to focus on how to make it happen. Nothing of this scope comes easy. This new bypass plan emerged from a two-year feasibility study that Premier Wab Kinew had tasked Axworthy with back in 2024. Now, Axworthy will helm a new 90-day feasibility study zooming in on that route specifically.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Poilievre’s lips moving, but Canadians aren’t interested in what he’s saying

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read Preview

Poilievre’s lips moving, but Canadians aren’t interested in what he’s saying

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 6, 2026

Pierre Poilievre’s biggest political challenge right now isn’t Prime Minister Mark Carney’s popularity.

It’s the fact that he still seems to be campaigning against a political landscape that no longer exists.

More than a year after the 2025 federal election, the Conservative leader is still relying on the same message, the same themes and the same attacks that defined his party’s campaign before voters went to the polls.

And Canadians appear to be tuning it out.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 6, 2026

Man in hospital after hostage situation on King Edward

Morgan Modjeski 5 minute read Preview

Man in hospital after hostage situation on King Edward

Morgan Modjeski 5 minute read Friday, May. 29, 2026

Winnipeg Police Service spokesperson Const. Pat Saydak told reporters that members of the violent offender apprehension unit attempted to execute a warrant on a man in the King Edward neighbourhood at around 11 a.m.

Read
Friday, May. 29, 2026