Quebec moves ahead with AI cultural databank project

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MONTREAL - Quebec's national library is moving ahead with plans to create a database of cultural and government content that could be used to train artificial intelligence systems and improve their understanding of Quebec society, culture and Indigenous languages.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

MONTREAL – Quebec’s national library is moving ahead with plans to create a database of cultural and government content that could be used to train artificial intelligence systems and improve their understanding of Quebec society, culture and Indigenous languages.

Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec, or BAnQ, the province’s national library and archives institution, has launched the experimental phase of its proposed government and cultural databank in French and Indigenous languages after completing a feasibility study earlier this year.

The project aims to address concerns that major generative AI systems often struggle to provide reliable information about Quebec society, economy and culture because of the limited amount of Quebec-related data available to them.

The Quebec Fleur-de-lis provincial flag flies on top of the National Assembly’s main tower, Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2023 in Quebec City. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot
The Quebec Fleur-de-lis provincial flag flies on top of the National Assembly’s main tower, Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2023 in Quebec City. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot

“All scenarios are a little bit on the table right now,” Valérie D’Amour, who led the feasibility study, said in an interview. “We have a lot of ideas and we want to validate the possibilities with cultural stakeholders, as well as with data owners and providers, who will be involved in the discussions.”

BAnQ says the future platform would not serve as a public distribution channel for creative works and that access to the data would be tightly controlled.

Marie Grégoire, president and chief executive officer of BAnQ, said the goal is to ensure that AI systems better reflect Quebec society and culture.

“That means having Quebec references, whether in small models or large models, whether they come from research or from the business community,” she said.

Similar initiatives have emerged elsewhere, including in Sweden, where large collections of Nordic-language texts have been assembled to help develop generative AI models for Scandinavian languages.

BAnQ plans to begin with its own collections before considering data from other sources.

The initiative stems from a recommendation made in a 2024 report by Quebec’s innovation council. The report attributed the problem in part to the “very small quantity of data on Quebec” available in AI training datasets.

Destiny Tchéhouali, co-holder of a Quebec-based research chair focused on French-language artificial intelligence and digital technologies, said Quebec culture remains “underrepresented in the corpora currently circulating in the AI world.”

“And we run the risk of reproducing linguistic biases and cultural biases. And when we also talk about Indigenous peoples, we run an even greater risk of all these biases,” said Tchéhouali, a professor in the communications department at Université du Québec à Montréal.

He said the proposed database would represent “strategic infrastructure” that could help establish guidelines for how local content is identified, catalogued and tracked within today’s AI systems.

Copyright concerns have emerged as a major issue for the cultural sector as BAnQ develops the proposed database.

But Grégoire argued the proposed platform could offer creators greater protection than the current system. “Right now, it’s a bit like the Wild West,” she said. “Data is being harvested for free, and that should not be the case.”

She said the database could act as a centralized gateway that would make it easier to compensate creators whose works are used.

Grégoire said that by working collectively, cultural organizations would be better positioned to ensure creators are paid and that the sector remains sustainable over the long term.

Still, some artists worry that contributing their work to AI training systems could ultimately undermine their own livelihoods.

“The main criticism we hear in the field is that, even if artists earn income from it, they are still feeding the beast that will eventually be used to replace contracts they may lose because of AI,” said Maxime Harvey, a postdoctoral researcher at the National Institute of Scientific Research and a member of the same research chair.

The feasibility study envisions the platform becoming operational by 2029, although D’Amour said the timeline will be reassessed following the experimental phase.

The study estimates a five-year budget of nearly $10.5 million through 2030, including operating and capital costs. BAnQ has received $340,000 from the Quebec government for the feasibility study and a further $750,000 to support the project’s 12-month experimentation phase.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 31, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
5:54 PM CDT

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

True North Sports and Entertainment was hit with a $12,000 fine for serving minors with fake IDs during a Winnipeg Jets White Out street party in 2025.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read 5:13 PM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
5:13 PM CDT