Ontario, Region of Waterloo appealing court ruling that blocked encampment removal

Advertisement

Advertise with us

TORONTO - Ontario and the Region of Waterloo are appealing a recent court decision that blocks the removal of a homeless encampment in a Kitchener, Ont., parking lot, saying there is a need for clarity provincewide on how to handle similar scenarios. 

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

TORONTO – Ontario and the Region of Waterloo are appealing a recent court decision that blocks the removal of a homeless encampment in a Kitchener, Ont., parking lot, saying there is a need for clarity provincewide on how to handle similar scenarios. 

An Ontario Superior Court judge last month ruled that a local bylaw created to allow the region to remove about two dozen homeless people from the encampment violates their Charter rights.

Ontario Attorney General Doug Downey and Region of Waterloo Chair Karen Redman say in a joint statement that they intend to appeal, as the lot is needed for construction of the Kitchener Central Transit Hub.

Will House and Jen Draper are photographed outside their home at a large homeless encampment, in Kitchener, Ont., on Monday June 27, 2022. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young
Will House and Jen Draper are photographed outside their home at a large homeless encampment, in Kitchener, Ont., on Monday June 27, 2022. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

“Our government is appealing this decision in order to provide the certainty and stability needed to advance critical infrastructure projects here in Waterloo Region and across Ontario,” Downey wrote.

Redman said the appeal is about ensuring municipalities have clarity on how to balance the needs of supporting people experiencing homelessness with the need to build a growing community.

“The Kitchener Central Transit Hub is a transformative project that will serve residents for generations, improving connections to jobs, housing, education and transit throughout our region and beyond,” Redman wrote.

Since 2022, the region has tried to dismantle the encampment through the courts, but has so far been unsuccessful.

Superior Court Judge Michael R. Gibson found the bylaw unconstitutional in part because the Region of Waterloo said it was not prepared to allow any alternative lawful encampment sites for homeless people if that lot was cleared. 

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 16, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Uncategorized

LOAD UNCATEGORIZED ARTICLES