Revellers drench Mark Carney with water as Toronto celebrates Pride Parade

Advertisement

Advertise with us

TORONTO - Toronto's annual Pride Parade on Sunday drew throngs of rainbow-clad partygoers, including the prime minister.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

TORONTO – Toronto’s annual Pride Parade on Sunday drew throngs of rainbow-clad partygoers, including the prime minister.

Mark Carney joined the parade briefly with Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow, shaking hands and taking selfies with the roaring crowds lining Yonge Street. 

As he marched, Carney goaded revellers wielding water guns to drench him. The prime minister stumbled back as he was sprayed with water, feigning injury, and he continued the rest of the march, hair wet and pink shirt soaked through.

People march in the Toronto Pride Parade on Sunday, June 29, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Arlyn McAdorey
People march in the Toronto Pride Parade on Sunday, June 29, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Arlyn McAdorey

It was the first time Carney walked in Toronto’s Pride Parade since he took office last year. 

He marched in front of a group of Pride Toronto volunteers who held signs showing the names and faces of the victims of the Pulse nightclub shooting. The 2016 shooting at a gay club in Florida left 49 people dead and 53 injured. 

Marking 10 years since the tragedy, Pride Toronto said it was honouring the victims “not only in grief, but in remembrance.”

The parade started forming along Rosedale Valley Road in the morning and kicked off around 2 p.m.

For festivalgoer Chris Collens, it was exciting to see the growth of queer acceptance over the decades he’s attended Pride. The festivities were a far cry from when Collens used to sneak out of the house for the event. 

“Pride was kind of a protest for equality, people would lose their jobs because they were gay (and) lesbian,” Collens said of growing up in the early 2000s, back when he hid his queer identity. 

On Sunday, he was at Pride with his workplace, the Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan, which had a booth at the festival. Attending Pride with the support of his employer was something Collens said he could have only dreamed about growing up. 

For others, attending Pride was a longtime family tradition.

Gabrielle Ogchet soaked up the festival with her mother Felicia, who has taken her to Pride parades since she was born. 

“We’ve never missed a year,” Ogchet said. “Except for COVID.”

Ogchet said her mother taught her everything she knows about queer culture and she’s grateful she gets to celebrate with her year after year. 

“It means a lot to me and to be able to support her and her people,” Ogchet said. “I know not a lot of people have the opportunity to do that so I really cherish it.”

For TL Sutherland, who attended Toronto Pride for the first time this year, the day was about honouring themself and the friends they have lost. 

Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow and Prime Minister Mark Carney take part in the Toronto Pride Parade on Sunday, June 28, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sammy Kogan
Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow and Prime Minister Mark Carney take part in the Toronto Pride Parade on Sunday, June 28, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sammy Kogan

Growing up in a religious household, Sutherland, who is non-binary, said it has been hard to live as their authentic self. Recently, they lost a friend to suicide. 

“Phenomenal pianist, phenomenal composer,” Sutherland said of their friend. “I’m here to remember those people.”

Sutherland said more needs to be done to support queer and transgender youth, who, according to Statistics Canada, exhibit thoughts of suicide and suicide-related behaviours more frequently than their non-LGBTQ+ peers.

Sutherland called for free psychiatric care in Canada.

Toronto Pride bills itself as the largest festival in Canada and the second-largest Pride in the world.

Organizers said this year’s theme is “We Won’t Stop,” reminding participants of the fights and victories behind rights and visibility for the LGBTQ+ community. 

Kojo Modeste, the festival’s executive director, said the theme aims to generate momentum and action that will create lasting change.

The festival has faced funding shortfalls in recent years, citing corporate sponsor withdrawals because of backlash against diversity, equity and inclusion.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 28, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Edmonton not the same old Elks as Bombers get ready for road clash

Taylor Allen 7 minute read Preview

Edmonton not the same old Elks as Bombers get ready for road clash

Taylor Allen 7 minute read Yesterday at 7:04 PM CDT

Edmonton’s CFL team has been a complete, utter mess for the majority of the past decade.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers took full advantage of their once-prominent West Division foe falling on hard times by shellacking them time and time again.

Let’s take a trip down memory lane, shall we?

The Blue and Gold defeated the Elks three times in a span of five weeks in 2021 — including a 30-3 beatdown on Chancellor Matheson Road on Oct. 8.

Read
Yesterday at 7:04 PM CDT

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Transit driver, supervisor assaulted in separate incidents

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Transit driver, supervisor assaulted in separate incidents

Free Press staff 2 minute read Yesterday at 2:15 PM CDT

Two people are facing charges for allegedly assaulting Winnipeg Transit employees in separate incidents within a 10-hour span Tuesday.

A 51-year-old man is accused of randomly throwing a beer can at a driver while exiting a bus at Dunkirk Avenue and Kingston Row at about 6 a.m.

The man bit the driver, who was trying to restrain him, police said. He was charged with assault and held in custody.

At about 3:40 p.m., a 31-year-old woman who refused to pay bus fare at Main Street and Pioneer Avenue punched a supervisor in the face, police said.

Read
Yesterday at 2:15 PM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read Preview

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:31 PM CDT

Jackson Tachinski: future Olympian?

Those prospects got a lot brighter for the Winnipegger on Sunday when the Canadian men’s flag football team won bronze at the IFAF World Flag Football Championships in Germany.

Tachinski was a key cog throughout a run that ended with a thrilling 34-26 overtime victory over Mexico that secured Canada’s spot at the 2028 Los Angeles Games, where flag football will debut on the biggest stage in sports.

“It was awesome. We were in overtime, and we got the ball first, and we ended up scoring and getting a two-point convert. We knew the defence just had to make a few plays and get a stop and we’d (win). Just seeing the ball go up in the air and (Montreal’s Guillaume Béland) came down with the interception, it was an unreal feeling. Just straight euphoria,” Tachinski told the Free Press shortly after returning home.

Read
Yesterday at 5:31 PM CDT