Canada announces $688-million contract for RADARSAT replenishment satellite

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MONTREAL - The federal government has announced a $688-million contract for a new replenishment satellite that Industry Minister Mélanie Joly describes as a key technology to protecting Canada’s security and sovereignty.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

MONTREAL – The federal government has announced a $688-million contract for a new replenishment satellite that Industry Minister Mélanie Joly describes as a key technology to protecting Canada’s security and sovereignty.

Joly said Tuesday that Toronto area-based MDA Space Ltd. will build and launch the satellite as part of the RADARSAT Constellation Mission network of Earth-observing satellites.

“In an increasingly dangerous and divided world, Canada is investing in modern surveillance systems to detect threats earlier,” she said in a news release ahead of the announcement. 

Industry Minister Melanie Joly speaks during a funding announcement for space technology at MDA in Montreal, on Tuesday, June 30, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes
Industry Minister Melanie Joly speaks during a funding announcement for space technology at MDA in Montreal, on Tuesday, June 30, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

“Through this investment, we are reinforcing Canada’s sovereign satellite capabilities and equipping industry and the Canadian Armed Forces with the intelligence they need to protect communities, inform decisions, and keep Canada secure.”

Canada’s RADARSAT program involves a constellation of three satellites that can scan 90 per cent of the world’s surface up to four times a day.

Joly told a news conference in the Montreal area the investment will help support Arctic security, guide operations on the ground, and help Canadian officials respond quickly to emergencies.

The agreement follows an initial $44.7-million contract awarded in December of last year to buy specialized parts for the replenishment satellite, which will help maintain uninterrupted access to RADARSAT data.

It is also part of a 15‑year investment, worth more than $1 billion, announced in October 2023 for satellite Earth observation needs.

The Canadian Space Agency says the new satellite is expected to launch in the early 2030s.

Jean-Claude Piedboeuf, the Canadian Space Agency’s acting president, says the satellite uses radar technology, which allows them to see through clouds, rain and snow. 

He described Canada as a world leader in developing the technology, which is used for monitoring remote regions such as the Arctic, as well as agriculture and defence activities. 

He says that while Canada partners with other countries to share Earth observation data, it needs its own satellites to direct.

“It’s important to be able to task the satellite and to decide where you want to take an image and to who you are sending the image,” he said. 

The announcement is part of the country’s defence industrial strategy, “where Canada needs sovereign access to this critical data of Earth observation,” he said in a phone interview.

He said that’s especially crucial for operations such as monitoring sea ice for ship navigation, detecting illegal ship traffic, or defence purposes.

MDA Space employs about 4,000 people in Canada, including some 2,000 in the satellite systems division in Montreal, according to Luigi Pozzebon, vice president for satellite systems.

He said the company’s satellites have both commercial and defence applications.

He says the satellites help boost Canada’s sovereignty by “providing the government with the images, for example, of our shorelines, the Arctic, missions like that, maritime surveillance as well as environmental surveillance.”

The government said the new satellite project announced Tuesday is expected to create about 100 jobs for the duration of the project.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 30, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Commissioner Noni Classen has released a summary of the allegations brought to her attention and findings of investigations undertaken between January 2025 and March 2026.

A new disciplinary system, as well as an online registry where members of the public can look up the education level and standing of teachers and school clinicians, came into effect Jan. 6, 2025.

“These processes can be difficult and deeply personal for everyone involved, including students, families, teachers and school administrators,” Classen wrote in a 24-page report published this week.

Read
Updated: 4:28 PM CDT

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Preview

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

A three-person crew, employed by the city as part of its recently expanded proactive cleanup program, allowed the Free Press to follow along last week while they worked to make the Freight House Recreation Centre's property safe to play in.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Edmonton not the same old Elks as Bombers get ready for road clash

Taylor Allen 7 minute read Preview

Edmonton not the same old Elks as Bombers get ready for road clash

Taylor Allen 7 minute read 7:04 PM CDT

Edmonton’s CFL team has been a complete, utter mess for the majority of the past decade.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers took full advantage of their once-prominent West Division foe falling on hard times by shellacking them time and time again.

Let’s take a trip down memory lane, shall we?

The Blue and Gold defeated the Elks three times in a span of five weeks in 2021 — including a 30-3 beatdown on Chancellor Matheson Road on Oct. 8.

Read
7:04 PM CDT

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Preview

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Yesterday at 12:50 PM CDT

A June 9 disciplinary decision found more than 39,000 doses went unaccounted for while Glen Pauch, who worked at a Portage la Prairie pharmacy, was consuming drugs and improperly dispensing controlled substances — including opioids oxycodone and hydromorphone, and Concerta, a stimulant prescribed for ADHD — to 11 patients.

Read
Yesterday at 12:50 PM CDT