Ontario announces $10M in new skills development funding

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Ontario is spending $10 million on six programs to give people training in the skilled trades as part of its Skills Development Fund.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Ontario is spending $10 million on six programs to give people training in the skilled trades as part of its Skills Development Fund.

The fund gained notoriety after the province’s auditor general found last year that the way the government had been selecting successful applications and disbursing money from the $2.5-billion fund was not fair, transparent or accountable.

Integrity commissioner Cathryn Motherwell is investigating allegations from the opposition parties that Labour Minister David Piccini breached ethics rules in handing out the skills training funding.

Ontario's Minister of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development David Piccini speaks at an announcement in Ottawa on Tuesday, March 10, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Patrick Doyle
Ontario's Minister of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development David Piccini speaks at an announcement in Ottawa on Tuesday, March 10, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Patrick Doyle

The government says it has made changes to how it selects projects through this sixth round of funding, including requiring applications to disclose the use of registered lobbyists and analyzing individuals associated with applications, in addition to the organization.

The projects splitting the latest $10 million in skills development funding include YMCA-led training for construction jobs, automotive service training and a program giving young people skills in the electrical trades.

Piccini says the fund helps people build rewarding careers and strengthen the workforce that will build Ontario’s homes and infrastructure.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 18, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Uncategorized

LOAD UNCATEGORIZED ARTICLES