Nova Scotia musician Ashley MacIsaac pulls Google defamation lawsuit

Advertisement

Advertise with us

HALIFAX - Nova Scotia fiddler Ashley MacIsaac has ended a defamation lawsuit against Google after claiming the search engine falsely identified him as a sex offender in an AI-generated summary.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

HALIFAX – Nova Scotia fiddler Ashley MacIsaac has ended a defamation lawsuit against Google after claiming the search engine falsely identified him as a sex offender in an AI-generated summary.

In a statement of claim filed in February with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, MacIsaac said the description wrongly stated he had been listed on the national sex offender registry.

The lawsuit also claimed the summary falsely asserted he had been convicted of a series of offences including sexual assault, internet luring involving a child and assault causing bodily harm.

Ashley MacIsaac, right, performs with his band Neon Dreams to open the 2016 East Coast Music Awards Gala in Sydney, N.S. on Thursday, April 14, 2016. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan
Ashley MacIsaac, right, performs with his band Neon Dreams to open the 2016 East Coast Music Awards Gala in Sydney, N.S. on Thursday, April 14, 2016. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan

The Juno Award-winning musician was seeking $1.5 million in damages from Google LLC for the “AI overview,” which can often appear at the top of search results.

However, a notice of discontinuance was filed on July 29 to end MacIsaac’s lawsuit. As is standard, the notice does not contain any further details.

The Cape Breton musician did not respond to a request for comment sent to his email on Wednesday.

U.S.-based Google also didn’t respond to questions.

In December, MacIsaac said he learned about the misinformation after a First Nation north of Halifax confronted him with the summary and cancelled one of his concerts. The Sipekne’katik First Nation later issued a public apology to MacIsaac.

MacIsaac’s lawsuit claimed Google is “liable for injuries and losses arising from the AI overview’s defective design” and that the company should have known the program was imperfect and could provide untrue information.

None of the claims in the document were tested in court.

MacIsaac has previously struggled with his personal finances.

In 2000, he filed bankruptcy papers with the Nova Scotia Supreme Court, claiming assets of $119,000 and liabilities of $305,633. A CBC News report from the time said he got to keep his fiddles as other assets were sold to satisfy creditors.

During the 2008 financial crisis, MacIsaac put his future earnings up for sale on the eBay auction site.

And in 2020, MacIsaac revealed publicly he was on the verge of bankruptcy with the touring industry shuttered during the pandemic.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 19, 2026.

— By Eli Ridder in Fredericton, with files from Michael MacDonald in Halifax.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read Preview

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read 5:31 PM CDT

Jackson Tachinski: future Olympian?

Those prospects got a lot brighter for the Winnipegger on Sunday when the Canadian men’s flag football team won bronze at the IFAF World Flag Football Championships in Germany.

Tachinski was a key cog throughout a run that ended with a thrilling 34-26 overtime victory over Mexico that secured Canada’s spot at the 2028 Los Angeles Games, where flag football will debut on the biggest stage in sports.

“It was awesome. We were in overtime, and we got the ball first, and we ended up scoring and getting a two-point convert. We knew the defence just had to make a few plays and get a stop and we’d (win). Just seeing the ball go up in the air and (Montreal’s Guillaume Béland) came down with the interception, it was an unreal feeling. Just straight euphoria,” Tachinski told the Free Press shortly after returning home.

Read
5:31 PM CDT

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Preview

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

More doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before but health-care challenges remain, Premier Wab Kinew says.

The province has added 4,725 net new health-care workers to the provincial system since the NDP won the October 2023 election, Kinew told reporters Tuesday.

The government’s total includes 370 doctors, 1,464 nurses, 2,152 health-care aides and 607 allied health professionals, a group that includes physiotherapists, dietitians, paramedics, medical lab technologists and others.

Kinew said more doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: 5:55 PM CDT

Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

Read
Updated: 5:55 PM CDT

Carney touts ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs for three days

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Carney touts ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs for three days

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 6:27 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - U.S. President Donald Trump announced late Tuesday a last-minute deal to delay new tariffs from slamming an array of Canadian products for three days.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said in response there’s still important work to do.

"Over the last number of weeks, Canada has engaged in intensive discussions with the United States to address outstanding trade issues and deliver greater certainty and real benefits for Canadian businesses, workers, farmers and families," Carney said in a statement.

He said "substantial progress" has been made and Canada is focused on "building a stronger, more independent and more competitive economy at home."

Read
Updated: 6:27 AM CDT

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Yesterday at 4:29 PM CDT

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Yesterday at 4:29 PM CDT