Stone Temple Pilots headline second Rock on the Range

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Rock on the Range is returning.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/03/2010 (5998 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Rock on the Range is returning.

The second-annual edition of the modern-rock festival will take place Aug. 7 at Canad Inns Stadium with reunited alt-rock group Stone Temple Pilots serving as the headliners.

The group kicked off their current tour Friday with a show at the South by Southwest conference in Austin, Texas. They will release a new self-titled album on May 25.

Other confirmed acts include Godsmack, Buckcherry, Clutch, Three Days Grace, the Trews, Finger 11, Crash Karma, Rev Theory, Danko Jones, Arkells and Domenica. Tickets for the day-long festival go on sale March 27 for $39.50, $69.50 and $79.50 at Ticketmaster.

The festival took place in June last year, attracting 12,000 paid fans who toughed it out through a rainy, cold day to see bands such as Billy Talent, Rancid, Rise Against and Shinedown. The unpredictable weather is one of the reasons organizers decided to move the event to August this year.

“We might lose some people to the beaches and such, but the payoff is better weather. The goal of this style of show is to build it, grow it and allow it to become an annual target for fans and a rite of passage for new fans,” said Kevin Donnelly, MTS Centre general manager and senior vice-president.

True North Sports & Entertainment, which runs the MTS Centre, is producing the show with the Winnipeg Football Club and Right Arm Entertainment. Right Arm runs the original Rock on the Range in Columbus, Ohio.

The Winnipeg event is smaller than the two-day Columbus show, but Donnelly hopes it will grow to become a destination for music fans within a one-day drive. There are plans in the works to have it run for the next several years.

“In a perfect world we’ll see this grow in attendance and become a multi-day event, he says.

“These things are great summer gathering places.”

rob.williams@freepress.mb.ca

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 3 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 3 minute read Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

City blames weather for creating new sinkhole on Sturgeon Creek path

Malak Abas 2 minute read Preview

City blames weather for creating new sinkhole on Sturgeon Creek path

Malak Abas 2 minute read 6:12 PM CDT

After a massive water-filled hole on a Sturgeon Creek active-transportation pathway took more than a year to fix, a new sinkhole has opened nearby.

In June 2023, the Free Press reported on a gaping depression stretching seven metres long, three metres wide and up to a metre deep that opened on a pathway leading to a playground on Amarynth Crescent near the Sturgeon Creek active-transportation route. The city finally made repairs in October 2024.

Now, about 12 metres away from that spot, a new crater has appeared. The hole, about three metres long and 2.5 metres wide, has been blocked off using metal rods and plastic netting, but resident Philip Kaban said the opening is getting larger.

“This big hole in the middle is getting bigger and bigger,” Kaban said Thursday.

Read
6:12 PM CDT

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 11:34 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said he feels confident the agreement will protect American workers and jobs while strengthening the North American market, making the continent a manufacturing and energy powerhouse.

"We certainly, I think, have eliminated some of the irritants that we've had over the past year," he said, "We also are taking a strong foot forward."

Prime Minister Mark Carney said in a statement that the new deal reinforces and builds on Canada's existing trade advantages with the U.S.

Read
Updated: 11:34 AM CDT

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

One more 50-plus yard kick for Castillo — for the record

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

One more 50-plus yard kick for Castillo — for the record

Taylor Allen 5 minute read 5:33 PM CDT

After last Friday’s win over Ottawa, it was brought to Sergio Castillo’s attention that he had just made CFL history.

On Wednesday, however, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers kicker found out that a mistake was made and that he still has some work to do.

Castillo drilled a 56-yard field goal at the end of the half which, at the time, was believed to be his 41st career 50-plus yarder which set a new league record.

Castillo, as one would, spoke about the accomplishment earlier in the week and reflected on his journey to the milestone.

Read
5:33 PM CDT