Streetheart frontman Shields dies

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Kenny Shields, who led the Winnipeg rock group Streetheart for four decades, died Friday morning after undergoing cardiac surgery.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/07/2017 (3317 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Kenny Shields, who led the Winnipeg rock group Streetheart for four decades, died Friday morning after undergoing cardiac surgery.

Streetheart bandmate Jeff Neill announced the news early Friday with a post on his Facebook account. 

“It is with deep sadness and regret that I announce that our dear friend and bandmate Kenny Shields has passed away quietly and peacefully early this morning at the St. Boniface General Hospital in Winnipeg,” Neill wrote, adding that Shields’ wife Elena, daughter Julia and sister Sharlene were by his side. 

“I loved him as a friend and as a special performer,” says Howard Mandshein, a friend and fan of Shields who works at CITI-FM in Winnipeg. “Kenny was a performer. Kenny owned the stage. He could give lessons on how to work the stage. Just flawless.”

Kenny Shields performs in 1988. (Phil Hossack / Winnipeg Free Press files)
Kenny Shields performs in 1988. (Phil Hossack / Winnipeg Free Press files)

Shields and Streetheart performed June 29 on the opening night of Dauphin’s Countryfest, which was part of Streetheart’s planned 40th anniversary tour. He fell ill during a Canada Day show in Sherwood Park, Alta., and on July 5 Streetheart announced it would have to cancel the rest of its summer concert dates. 

His final outdoor concert was initially going to be at the Winnipeg Classic RockFest at Shaw Park on Aug. 29 along with Honeymoon Suite, Harlequin, the Pumps and Orphan. Plans were in the works for Streetheart to call it a career on New Year’s Eve at Club Regent Event Centre, says Mandshein, but when Shields’ health worsened earlier this week, a press release said the Shaw Park concert would be dedicated to the singer.

“When we got the news that Kenny Shields was too ill to perform we could have gotten another band, but we really wanted to make this happen for Kenny,” Winnipeg Goldeyes owner Sam Katz, the promoter of Winnipeg Classic RockFest, says in a release.

“Kenny was so looking forward to performing for his fans in Winnipeg where Streetheart first began, so this special tribute will be a way to still make it happen and provide an opportunity for Winnipeg to honour and thank Kenny for all the great music memories he’s given to us all over the last 40 years, he deserves this.”

Juno Award-winner, Western Canadian Music Hall of Famer

Streetheart released its first album, Meanwhile Back in Paris, in 1978, which included the hit Action. Mandshein says it’s “one for the ages.”

“Meanwhile Back in Paris was the best debut record I’d ever heard,” Mandshein says. “Action sounds as good today as it did back in the day. They were such a good unit.”

The group’s second album, Under Heaven Over Hell, included their hits Hollywood and their version of Van Morrison’s Here Comes the Night. Another cover, the Rolling Stones’ Under My Thumb, reached gold status in 1979.

“Kenny was a performer. Kenny owned the stage. He could give lessons on how to work the stage. Just flawless.”–Howard Mandshein

Shields was born and raised in the small farming community of Nokomis, Sask., where his knack for playing music started taking shape around the time he enrolled in an amateur talent show at six years old. He moved to Saskatoon to attend university where he joined local band Witness Incorporated.

Shields began travelling Canada with the band, touring with legendary acts like Roy Orbison and Cream; but his career was sidetracked in 1970 following an automobile accident that left him critically injured.

After the dissolution of his first band, Shields moved to Winnipeg in 1975 to return his focus to music. He teamed up with another group from his home province, and in the years that followed, they would shuffle band members to eventually become Streetheart.

The band would record six studio albums and a double-disc live album, garnering six gold albums, four platinum albums, a gold single among its achievements.

Streetheart also brought home a Juno Award for most promising group of the year in 1980.

The band was inducted into the Western Canadian Music Association Hall of Fame in 2003.

”I never really ever aspired to be in anything like this,” Shields said during the ceremony. “I never would have planned it.”

 

With files from The Canadian Press 

Streetheart is seen in an undated handout photo, with lead singer Kenny Shields at centre. The band's frontman, Kenny Shields died on Friday at St. Boniface General Hospital in Winnipeg. (Trevor Brucki / The Canadian Press)
Streetheart is seen in an undated handout photo, with lead singer Kenny Shields at centre. The band's frontman, Kenny Shields died on Friday at St. Boniface General Hospital in Winnipeg. (Trevor Brucki / The Canadian Press)
History

Updated on Friday, July 21, 2017 12:25 PM CDT: Adds more comment, photos.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read Preview

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:31 PM CDT

Jackson Tachinski: future Olympian?

Those prospects got a lot brighter for the Winnipegger on Sunday when the Canadian men’s flag football team won bronze at the IFAF World Flag Football Championships in Germany.

Tachinski was a key cog throughout a run that ended with a thrilling 34-26 overtime victory over Mexico that secured Canada’s spot at the 2028 Los Angeles Games, where flag football will debut on the biggest stage in sports.

“It was awesome. We were in overtime, and we got the ball first, and we ended up scoring and getting a two-point convert. We knew the defence just had to make a few plays and get a stop and we’d (win). Just seeing the ball go up in the air and (Montreal’s Guillaume Béland) came down with the interception, it was an unreal feeling. Just straight euphoria,” Tachinski told the Free Press shortly after returning home.

Read
Yesterday at 5:31 PM CDT

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Commissioner Noni Classen has released a summary of the allegations brought to her attention and findings of investigations undertaken between January 2025 and March 2026.

A new disciplinary system, as well as an online registry where members of the public can look up the education level and standing of teachers and school clinicians, came into effect Jan. 6, 2025.

“These processes can be difficult and deeply personal for everyone involved, including students, families, teachers and school administrators,” Classen wrote in a 24-page report published this week.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Premier presses Bell Canada about ‘unacceptable’ 911 outages

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Preview

Premier presses Bell Canada about ‘unacceptable’ 911 outages

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Yesterday at 7:19 PM CDT

Premier Wab Kinew said the province is doing all it can to ensure that Manitobans aren’t hit with another 911 service outage — including asking the head of Bell Canada to help.

“At the end of the day, when you dial 911, we need to get emergency services to you as quickly as possible,” Kinew said.

On July 22, an hours-long outage prevented nearly 90 calls to 911 from being routed to the public safety answering point in Brandon. Backup systems that reroute 911 calls when an outage occurs also experienced “issues” after a third party cut the cable during construction near Winnipeg, Bell Canada said earlier.

At the time, Kinew called the 911 outage “unacceptable,” and told reporters that Prime Minister Mark Carney assured him he would raise the matter with telecom executives.

Read
Yesterday at 7:19 PM CDT