Burton Cummings Theatre now features more Burton

Advertisement

Advertise with us

There is more history, and more of Burton Cummings’ history, to see at the Burton Cummings Theatre.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/12/2022 (1327 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

There is more history, and more of Burton Cummings’ history, to see at the Burton Cummings Theatre.

The Studio Lounge, a renovated space in the 115-year-old auditorium that hasn’t been opened to the public in years, was unveiled Wednesday, showing off a view of the Exchange District from the theatre’s large semi-circular second-storey window and the former office space of Corliss Powers Walker, the impresario who built the former vaudeville venue first called the Walker Theatre in 1907.

Adorning the tan-coloured brick walls are Cummings’ artifacts from his days with the Guess Who and his solo career, including posters, album covers and framed handwritten lyrics of songs such as These Eyes, Running Back to Saskatoon, Stand Tall and Break It to Them Gently.

JESSICA LEE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                Burton Cummings music is displayed at The Studio Lounge at the Burton Cummings Theatre.

JESSICA LEE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Burton Cummings music is displayed at The Studio Lounge at the Burton Cummings Theatre.

Also in the new space is a small upright piano owned by his grandparents, believed to be about 100 years old and on which he took his first lessons.

“They offered us the piano and it grew from there,” says Kevin Donnelly, senior vice-president of venues and entertainment for True North Sports and Entertainment, which bought the theatre in 2014. “At first they offered a big, white grand piano and I doubt we have room for that. Getting that one up the stairs was tough enough.”

The Studio Lounge is connected to the eastern part of the theatre’s lower-balcony concourse, which prior to the recent renovation had been a brick wall that offered no clue there was another room behind it, as well as the view from the window.

It had been home to Doowah Design until the business’s lease ran out Nov. 1, which is when True North began engineering, masonry and carpentry work to connect the space with the rest of the theatre.

They knocked down part of the wall to make room for the new passageway between the Studio Lounge and the concourse and used those bricks to build the passageway’s frame, making it look like it had been part of the Burt all along.

“It turned out the structural steel is directly below it so there is a good base for the stairs,” Donnelly says of the passageway.

JESSICA LEE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                “They offered us the piano and it grew from there,” says Kevin Donnelly, senior vice-president of venues and entertainment for True North Sports and Entertainment, which bought the theatre in 2014

JESSICA LEE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

“They offered us the piano and it grew from there,” says Kevin Donnelly, senior vice-president of venues and entertainment for True North Sports and Entertainment, which bought the theatre in 2014

True North also stripped a century’s worth of paint from the large window frame and added insulation that helps keep the area warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

It has room for 80 to 100 people, and also includes a bar, tables, chairs and video monitors that Donnelly says will eventually provide the same views of concerts transmitted to monitors located on each end of the Burt’s upper balcony.

“In a theatre that is just so dramatically short of lobby space, this is gold, absolutely,” he says.

True North has also received inquiries about using the Studio Lounge when there isn’t an event at the theatre.

Visitors can view the space without a ticket for the rest of the week from 1-4 p.m., and it was open Wednesday night to ticketholders for the first of two Cummings’ concerts this week.

JESSICA LEE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                The piano Burton Cummings learned to play on displayed at The Studio Lounge at the Burton Cummings Theatre.

JESSICA LEE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

The piano Burton Cummings learned to play on displayed at The Studio Lounge at the Burton Cummings Theatre.

Alan.Small@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @AlanDSmall

Alan Small

Alan Small
Reporter

Alan Small was a journalist at the Free Press for more than 22 years in a variety of roles, the last being a reporter in the Arts and Life section.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Preview

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

A Winnipeg foster mother has admitted to violently assaulting her ill foster daughter and leaving her paralyzed after the girl resisted the woman’s efforts to provide her with medication, a court has heard.

Marilyn Keno, 26, pleaded guilty Friday to one count of aggravated assault.

Keno remains in custody and will be sentenced at a later date following the completion of a court-ordered pre-sentence report.

The maximum sentence for aggravated assault is 14 years in prison. Crown attorney Alanna Littman and defence lawyer Jeremy Kostiuk did not disclose what sentences they will be recommending.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Sea Bears finish on top

Joshua Frey-Sam 6 minute read Preview

Sea Bears finish on top

Joshua Frey-Sam 6 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Beauty. Bliss. Ecstasy.

That is how Aug. 15, 2026 will be remembered in Winnipeg.

What was once a pipe dream in the city’s hoops community became an epic reality on Saturday, when Simon Hildebrandt, who grew up playing on the courts of this very town, made good on a three-pointer from the wing to crown the Winnipeg Sea Bears Canadian Elite Basketball League champions.

A storybook ending to a 98-84 victory over the Brampton Honey Badgers sent a CEBL attendance record of 12,519 fans into pandemonium at Canada Life Centre and capped a Finals run for the ages — one that was fraught with injury, impromptu player exits and unprecedented circumstances.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 6 minute read Preview

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 6 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

It wasn’t a stellar performance by any stretch.

But at this point, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will take a win no matter what it looks like.

The Blue and Gold outlasted the winless Ottawa Redblacks 33-21 on a rainy Friday night at Princess Auto Stadium to improve to 5-4.

“It’s great to finally get a win at home for our fans and to go out and play a better game is very encouraging,” said right guard Patrick Neufeld.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Cross-border abduction under investigation

1 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:40 PM CDT

A cross-border kidnapping from Winnipeg to Minnesota is under investigation, according to North Dakota state patrol.

A 31-year-old Manitoba man abducted a 37-year-old Manitoba man in Winnipeg and drove across the border into North Dakota, the North Dakota State Highway Patrol said in a Facebook post Sunday. The state patrol said it became aware of the possible abduction Sunday morning and worked with local, federal and Canadian law enforcement to investigate.

Authorities identified a suspect vehicle using cameras at multiple locations and used cell-phone location information and licence-plate reader technology to find the vehicle in Alexandria, Minnesota.

"The victim was able to break free from the suspect and run into a nearby store. The suspect was taken into custody shortly afterward by the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and Alexandria Police Department. The victim was recovered safely," the North Dakota state patrol's post reads.

Letters, Aug. 17

7 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Be statesmanlike, Pierre

Re: Canadians have moved on, Poilievre hasn’t (Aug. 7); Poilievre’s trade bluster a desperate bid for attention (Aug. 12)

If I were Pierre Poilievre, I wouldn’t be just thinking about becoming the next prime minister. I’d be thinking about legacy in larger terms — meaning how would I ultimately want to be remembered.

And I would want to be remembered as the politician who, even if not having achieved the ultimate goal of becoming prime minister, left the political world as a respected statesman. As such, with respect to trade and the relationship with the United States, I would be guided by the following maxim found in Tom Brodbeck’s Aug. 12 column: The goal should be to maximize Canada’s leverage while reducing its vulnerability.

Best to fess up about grandkid-sitting fatigue

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: We love our grandchildren, but now we’re sick of them. The two sets of parents — our adult children — have been parking their kids out here on the farm with us while they take back-to-back road trips to see their friends. We’ve had enough.

Grandma and I want them to come back and get the “brats” (just joking, they’re nice kids) so we can relax.

You have to be so careful with city kids around the farm who don’t know when they’re going to make a mistake and get hoofed by an animal or run over by a farm implement.

How do we tell our kids the party is over early, and they really need to come back before grandma and I give out?