Darkness under the rainbow Exhibit explores Canada’s purge of LGBTTQ+ members of federal workforce

Michelle Douglas was in her early 20s when she joined the Canadian Armed Forces in 1986, a young woman ready to serve her country.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/01/2025 (571 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Michelle Douglas was in her early 20s when she joined the Canadian Armed Forces in 1986, a young woman ready to serve her country.

Initially, she thrived. She was at the top of her class. She could see herself rising through the ranks. She also fell in love for the first time, with a fellow officer.

But what should have been a happy time in her life quickly curdled. Douglas was investigated, interrogated, subjected to a polygraph exam and ultimately fired.

Her crime? Being lesbian.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS
                                Michelle Douglas was a trailblazer for LGBTTQ+ rights, successfully suing the Canadian military for her harassment and dismissal for being a lesbian.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS

Michelle Douglas was a trailblazer for LGBTTQ+ rights, successfully suing the Canadian military for her harassment and dismissal for being a lesbian.

“The military police gave me 24 hours to come out to my family, or they said they’d send the police to do it,” she recalls.

But Douglas fought back. In 1992, she took the CAF to court, using the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to argue her case — and won.

Her landmark case resulted in the military ending its formal ban on LGBTTQ+ service members and full rank being restored to those who had been disciplined under this discriminatory policy.

Exhibition preview

Love in a Dangerous Time: Canada’s LGBT Purge

● Canadian Museum for Human Rights, 85 Israel Asper Way

● Opens Friday, Jan. 31

Douglas’s story is one of many included in Love in a Dangerous Time: Canada’s LGBT Purge, a new large-scale exhibition opening Friday at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights that explores a dark chapter in Canada’s recent past.

From the 1950s to the 1990s, the Government of Canada systematically investigated, harassed and fired more than 9,000 LGBTTQ+ members of the Canadian Armed Forces, the RCMP and the federal public service in what would become one of the longest-running, largest-scale workplace violations of human rights in Canadian history.

“I think it’s a very powerful exhibit,” says Douglas, who is now the executive director of the LGBT Purge Fund and who was in Winnipeg seeing it for the first time this week.

“Very beautiful as well, and poignant for me. I see a lot of young faces of people I know now 30-plus years on. I see them in there and imagine the journey they’ve been through.”

Scott de Groot, lead curator of Love in a Dangerous Time, says that although the Purge has been well documented and studied, many Canadians are still unaware that this is a part of our history.

“A big part of the objective of the exhibition is to disseminate knowledge of the Purge, to build awareness that this happened for so many decades and involved so many people,” de Groot says. “We are really happy to have the trust of Purge survivors to tell their stories through this exhibition.”

Telling those stories required some creativity on the part of the museum.

“We weren’t able to go to another museum or a major lending institution to obtain a lot of the objects and artifacts that we wanted to be a big part of the show, so we had to reach out to Purge survivors, community members, access personal collections and local archives,” de Groot says.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS
                                The exhibition features a digital production of Royal Winnipeg Ballet dancers illustrating the Purge.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS

The exhibition features a digital production of Royal Winnipeg Ballet dancers illustrating the Purge.

The exhibition has plenty of immersive and interactive elements, including a replica interrogation room that features audio clips of survivor oral histories and a generative AI-powered display that allows you to “talk” to survivors and activists, whose insights and reflections are triggered when visitors ask questions.

“We wanted to present information in a variety of different ways, so artwork has also been a big part of this show, both paintings that are interspersed throughout the gallery and also work that we’ve commissioned,” de Groot says.

The first of those commissions is The Regulation of Desire, a video installation by Winnipeg filmmaker Noam Gonick in collaboration with the Royal Winnipeg Ballet. This contemporary dance work, choreographed by Freya Björg Olafson, is a seven-part exploration of different facets of the Purge.

The film takes its title from a groundbreaking book by Canadian sociologist Gary Kinsman, who happened to be a professor of Gonick’s.

“I don’t know how many academics get to have their books turned into ballets,” the Hey, Happy! director says.

When the CMHR approached Gonick about doing a film for the exhibit, he immediately thought of dance.

“The crimes of the Purge were all crimes of the body and crimes of desire and flesh and so, of all mediums, I think dance is really the one to tell that tale, because these are DNA urges that lead to purges,” Gonick says.

The piece is not strictly ballet. In addition to the cast of RWB company members — “a very open-minded, pro-art group of dancers,” Gonick says — The Regulation of Desire also features dancer (and Gonick’s partner) Michael Walker performing burlesque pole dance.

“To be able to also do the art of pole dancing really meant a lot because, ultimately, the whole genre of pole dancing stems from our queer history — from burlesque dancing to go-go boys and underground bars,” Walker says. “And really, pole dancing celebrates our longing for desire and the body.”

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS
                                A simulated interrogation room used during the Purge, where suspected members of the LGBTTQ+ community would endure tests and interrogation about their orientation.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS

A simulated interrogation room used during the Purge, where suspected members of the LGBTTQ+ community would endure tests and interrogation about their orientation.

The second commission is The Fruit Machine: A Space Opera, a video installation by Winnipeg performance artists Shawna Dempsey and Lorri Millan. It takes its name from the offensive colloquialism given to a government-funded battery of “psychological tests” meant to determine one’s sexual orientation in the 1960s.

Some of these tests included showing people erotic images and attempting to measure pupil dilation, or asking true-or-false questions to determine how masculine or feminine someone was. Sample questions: “I like mechanics magazines, T or F”, or “I think I would like the work of a dress designer, T or F.”

“A lot of our work has looked at the absurdity of oppression, the absurdity of misogyny, the absurdity of homophobia,” Dempsey says. “The Fruit Machine was really an ultimate expression of that, the idea that the Canadian government could — could and should — fund a testing device for homosexuality in an effort to excise homosexuality from the public sphere.

“It’s a fascinating and horrible part of history that Canadians aren’t aware of and should be aware of.”

“It’s a fascinating and horrible part of history that Canadians aren’t aware of and should be aware of.”–Shawna Dempsey

Dempsey and Millan flip the idea of the Fruit Machine on its ear, and showcase instead the images that advertising and pop-culture of that era, beamed into living rooms from TV screens, that reinforced the idea that heterosexuality and a rigid pink-is-for-girls, blue-is-for-boys gender binary were not only “normal” and “good” but the passport to happiness.

“As we thought about it, we realize it’s part of a larger, more pervasive kind of oppression that is exercised by popular culture,” Millan adds.

“And so we really tried to figure out how to talk about this without just saying, ‘Look at this absurd machine.’ We wanted to talk about it as part of a larger, systemic, cultural-wide way of controlling populations. And then we further thought, Well, when does this start? It starts as a child.”

The stories told in Love in a Dangerous Time are harrowing and painful, but the exhibition also tells a story of joy and resistance.

Following Douglas’s historic victory in the 1990s, other Purge survivors stepped forward and launched a class-action lawsuit in 2016 that resulted in a $145-million settlement and an official apology from the Government of Canada.

The settlement included funds for legacy projects to honour those who did not live long enough to receive compensation. One of those projects is this exhibition.

“That’s been a principle for me as curator, balancing attention to trauma and discrimination and loss with stories of courage, resistance, collective action and ultimately dismantling the Purge,” de Groot says.

“We won. That is one of the takeaways here, too.”

“I’m very worried about the prospect of it happening again. But I think anyone who sees this exhibit will know what an injustice it was, how wrong it was then, how wrong it would be today.”–Michelle Douglas

But there’s also an uncomfortable timeliness about the darker elements of the exhibition, too, as U.S. President Donald Trump issues executive orders that will do away with federal programs for transgender people and ban them from serving in the military.

“I want people to experience this and learn about Canadian history, one that’s not taught, and to imagine the context of the Purge in today’s world, because the prospect of more purges is still alive,” Douglas says.

“Certainly, we’re seeing it in the United States, and it can happen in Canada if we don’t stand up for ourselves and others. I’m very worried about the prospect of it happening again. But I think anyone who sees this exhibit will know what an injustice it was, how wrong it was then, how wrong it would be today.”

“We’re thrilled to be part of this exhibition, because it tells the truth,” Dempsey says.

“It reveals an ugly past the Canadian government perpetrated against its own people, and only when we learn our history and learn the truth can we proceed with empathy into the future.”

Love in a Dangerous Time: Canada’s LGBT Purge will be on view until early 2026, after which it will tour.

jen.zoratti@winnipegfreepress.com

Jen Zoratti

Jen Zoratti
Columnist

Jen Zoratti is a columnist and feature writer working in the Arts & Life department, as well as the author of the weekly newsletter NEXT. A National Newspaper Award finalist for arts and entertainment writing, Jen is a graduate of the Creative Communications program at RRC Polytech and was a music writer before joining the Free Press in 2013. Read more about Jen.

Every piece of reporting Jen produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print – part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

 

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Quick quotes: Here’s what people are saying about the Canada-U.S. trade negotiations

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 10 minute read Preview

Quick quotes: Here’s what people are saying about the Canada-U.S. trade negotiations

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 10 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:04 PM CDT

OTTAWA - The United States imposed 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars worth of Canadian exports Saturday, after the two countries failed to reach a new trade deal before an extended deadline imposed by President Donald Trump earlier in the week.

In response, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced Canada will retaliate with matching dollar-for-dollar tariffs. Carney also suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

Here's what people are saying in response: 

——— 

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:04 PM CDT

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Preview

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

In February 2025, Manitoba (and most other provinces) pulled American liquor from store shelves as part of the ongoing trade dispute with the United States.

Then in December, the province followed a similar course to others and put American booze that was already on hand back on shelves, selling off inventory that had been wasting away in warehouses for months, and directing proceeds from those sales to charities.

Lineups sprung up at numerous stores as consumers snapped up bestselling American products — think Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniel’s, Apothic Red and the like. After that initial rush, what was left has been languishing on shelves ever since, with many products eventually being drastically discounted for a quick sale, lest they become too long in the tooth.

I decided early on not to write about/review U.S. products in this space until things were well and truly sorted. But a few months back, I found myself in the mood for a big, oaky red wine and — in a moment of weakness, or nostalgia, or maybe just curiosity — I picked up a $30-ish California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Some North End residents are concerned new community mailboxes will become a target for vandalism and crime after the base of one was recently lit ablaze — before it was even installed.

The community mailboxes started to show up on Andrews Street within the last two weeks. Some have been installed, while at other locations, only the concrete foundation is in place.

“They just dumped them on the boulevard,” said Stephen Giesbrecht, who lives beside one of the boxes in the St. John’s neighbourhood. “They dumped them on the corner and then they were gone.”

One of the concrete slabs has already played host to a fire and some of the hardware needed to install the mailbox melted.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Unresolved issues leave little space for you

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: My boyfriend — who is newly divorced — has two great children from his marriage. Although he and I have been together since Christmas, it’s obvious he loves his kids much more than he loves me! For instance, he lavishes affection on the kids when they’re over and completely leaves me out. I’m just the cook and dish-washer for the night.

When I brought this up recently, he said, “My girlfriends don’t last, because if I’m openly affectionate with them, the kids tell their mother we’re making out in front of them! They want all my affection and attention when I’m with them.” Then he added, “Stick around, and the kids will probably loosen up.”

Stick around? The explanation and his “advice” totally turned me off. What do you think?

— Not Second-Best to Anyone, St. Vital

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT

From Lars-Erik Sjoberg to Thomas Steen to Viggo Bjorck, there’s no shortage of Swedish athletes who have quickly become fan favourites here in Winnipeg.

Daniel Svard is hoping to add his name to the growing list.

Although he wields a golf club and not a hockey stick, the 23-year-old from Stockholm is opening plenty of eyes this week at Elmhurst. He carries a two-shot lead into Sunday’s final round of the Manitoba Open, looking to close out his first professional victory in his just his fourth career tournament.

Svard fired a six-under 66 on Saturday to move to 14-under through 54 holes of the PGA Tour Americas event.

Read
Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT