Feds give $9.5 million to Prairie arts organizations

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The Royal Winnipeg Ballet has about 2.25 million new reasons to dance.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/03/2025 (514 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The Royal Winnipeg Ballet has about 2.25 million new reasons to dance.

The civic institution is one of eight Manitoba and five Saskatchewan arts organizations getting a share of about $9.58 million in funding through the federal government’s Prairie Performing Arts Initiative, Winnipeg South MP Terry Duguid announced in the ballet’s foyer Friday morning.

The RWB’s $2.25-million funding injection — earmarked mainly for renovations of its main floor studio space into a black-box performance theatre and toward community activations and market expansion — was by far the largest doled out, accounting for about 24 per cent of the total.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS
                                Environment Minister/Winnipeg South MP Terry Duguid (left) and longtime Royal Winnipeg Ballet supporter Don Leitch are all smiles at Friday’s funding announcement.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS

Environment Minister/Winnipeg South MP Terry Duguid (left) and longtime Royal Winnipeg Ballet supporter Don Leitch are all smiles at Friday’s funding announcement.

About 68 per cent of the fresh federal funding will go toward Manitoba arts organizations — including the Manitoba Chamber Orchestra ($305,357); Manitoba Theatre for Young People ($508,991); Prairie Theatre Exchange ($600,525); Théâtre Cercle Molière ($650,530); Manitoba Opera ($750,000); Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre ($750,000); and the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra ($750,000) — to aid in modernizing technology, expanding audience and achieving long-term economic viability.

The remainder of the funding will go to theatre and symphony organizations one province west. Last week, about $8.3 million was also directed toward Alberta arts groups in a similar injection of non-repayable, long-term funding, Duguid said.

Angela Birdsell, executive director of the WSO, welcomed Friday’s investment, saying it addresses long-standing regional inequities for arts funding that tended to overlook the Prairie provinces.

“There is a competition from the environment, the social dimension — all of the things that governments support, and often the arts are an afterthought,” said Duguid, the federal minister of environment and climate change.

“I think we’ve shown today that it is not an afterthought. It is part of our identity. It is so important to our culture. It’s important for our unity as a city, province and country. It tells our stories. It is us.”

Duguid — flanked by parliamentary colleague Ben Carr (Winnipeg South Centre) — agreed the Prairies historically “were not given their fair share.”

With newly installed Prime Minister Mark Carney expected to dissolve Parliament and call a federal election on Sunday, neither Duguid nor Carr shied away from discussing the impending national decision.

“I’m very much thinking about (my father, the late MP Jim Carr, a classically trained oboist) when we make this announcement at a time when our values, our identity and our institutions are being challenged and threatened, both domestically from political leaders who are more interested in dividing us than uniting us, and from external forces that are looking to disrupt and take over our way of life,” Carr said.

“Investments like this mean more than perhaps they ever have.”

Carney, the former Bank of Canada governor who succeeded Justin Trudeau as both Liberal party leader and prime minister earlier this month, is expected to call an election for April 28.

ben.waldman@winnipegfreepress.com

Ben Waldman

Ben Waldman
Reporter

Ben Waldman is a National Newspaper Award-nominated reporter on the Arts & Life desk at the Free Press. Born and raised in Winnipeg, Ben completed three internships with the Free Press while earning his degree at Ryerson University’s (now Toronto Metropolitan University’s) School of Journalism before joining the newsroom full-time in 2019. Read more about Ben.

Every piece of reporting Ben produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Indigenous peoples are deeply invested in Canada

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Preview

Indigenous peoples are deeply invested in Canada

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Elections Canada released a report this week that stated that, in the 2025 federal election, approximately 41 per cent of eligible First Nations, Inuit and Métis voters cast a ballot and contributed significantly to the federal Liberals and Prime Minister Mark Carney making a political comeback.

For anyone curious about how Manitoba fared, the numbers in this province were slightly lower — but still very strong, with 34 per cent participation.

This is a far cry from the highest rate of Indigenous participation in a federal election — that would be the 60 per cent who cast a ballot in 2015, when Justin Trudeau’s Liberals defeated Stephen Harper’s Conservatives — but it’s still higher than the abysmal numbers seen in decades previous.

First Nations voters have only been allowed the legal right to cast a ballot in Canadian elections since 1960, but many in the past — perhaps rightly — felt a sense of complicity in the country’s colonization or, worse, that voting didn’t make a difference.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Officer who shot dog dead after it bit him won’t face charges

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

Officer who shot dog dead after it bit him won’t face charges

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 1:06 PM CDT

A Manitoba First Nations police officer will not face charges for fatally shooting a dog last year, despite the Crown describing the officer’s conduct as “concerning.”

The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba announced it would not recommend charges Monday, more than a year after the incident was reported to the police watchdog.

A Manitoba First Nations Police Service officer went to a home in Swan Lake First Nation to make an arrest in June 2025, the IIU said. No arrest was made as the person police were looking for was not there. As the officer was leaving, a dog chained outside bit him.

The officer later returned with a carbine rifle and shot and killed the dog.

Read
Yesterday at 1:06 PM CDT

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:28 PM CDT

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:28 PM CDT

Letters, Aug. 18

7 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

In support of real engineering

Jerry Storie’s op-ed Take advantage of hydroelectric potential and Laura Cameron’s op-ed Lasting legacy or pining for a pipe dream, both in the Free Press Aug. 17, provide quite different perspectives on what should be done to provide reliable power to Manitoba residents in the future.

Mr. Storie advocates construction of more hydroelectric projects rather than new natural gas generated capacity to offset looming power shortages. He argues that these hydroelectric projects will benefit Manitoba for the next century, and observes there will be significant increases in the demand for electricity in upcoming years. He is not wrong in any of these observations. However, hydroelectric developments are very capital intensive and have long lead development periods. Natural gas generation can be brought on line far more quickly with less investment. And perhaps Mr. Storie’s minimization of the environmental impacts of these developments deserves more scrutiny. Any First Nations impacted by development deserve to be consulted and participate in any benefits. Having said this, Mr. Storie is a former minister responsible for Manitoba Hydro, and thus has a fairly deep understanding of the issues at hand.

Laura Cameron advocates against construction of the LNG pipeline and terminal at Churchill, citing “the technical challenges of building a pipeline over thawing permafrost; the prohibitive cost of ice-breaking tankers that move LNG through the Arctic; and a forecasted global oversupply of LNG and uncertain long-term export markets.” These would all be persuasive arguments if Ms Cameron possessed any credentials indicating an expertise in engineering or economics. She does not. The balance of Ms Cameron’s op-ed focuses on ways for Manitoba to reduce its carbon footprint while taking a few shots at the proposed LNG pipeline to B.C. Her opposition to the pipeline to Churchill is almost a Trojan horse.

Shelters overwhelmed as rising vet costs forcing some owners to surrender pets

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Preview

Shelters overwhelmed as rising vet costs forcing some owners to surrender pets

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

In the fall of 2022, Tara Miller was faced with a difficult decision: keep her car or sell it to pay for a second knee surgery for her dog.

Ultimately, she needed her car to commute during the winter and decided to manage her dog Corby’s arthritis with medication and home therapy.

“Mentally it probably broke me,” said the 54-year-old.

While insurance covered two-thirds of the dog’s initial $6,000 surgery, Miller had to pay the remaining $2,000. That was on top of the $500 checkup before the surgery and the monthly $175 pet insurance premium.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Hometown hero hits CEBL championship clinching shot

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

Hometown hero hits CEBL championship clinching shot

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026

Chapter 1 of Winnipeg Sea Bears basketball was capped by hometown hero Chad Posthumus.

It was May 27, 2023, and the late, great centre out of River East Collegiate had a put-back basket off a Teddy Allen miss to give the Sea Bears a 90-85 victory over the Vancouver Bandits in Winnipeg’s inaugural game, in front of what was then a record crowd of 7,303.

So, on Saturday, it was rather poetic that Simon Hildebrandt — another Winnipegger and a player Posthumus used to mentor — was the one to put an exclamation mark on the franchise’s latest and greatest chapter.

Hildebrandt drilled a wide-open three in Target Score Time to crown the Sea Bears as the 2026 CEBL champions.

Read
Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026