Blue-collar rockers roll on Randy Bachman puts together new BTO lineup for one more trip down the highway

Winnipeg has been top of mind lately for Randy Bachman.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/04/2025 (492 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Winnipeg has been top of mind lately for Randy Bachman.

Last month, the 81-year-old guitarist and co-founder of acclaimed local rock bands the Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive released the single 60 Years Ago — a tribute to his cold, snowy birthplace and musical peers.

“It’s a gift back to Winnipeg about growing up there and how great Winnipeg was as a teenager for me and Neil Young and Burton Cummings and Fred Turner in the ’60s. It was like the Liverpool of Canada; it was just amazing,” ” Bachman said in a recent interview.

SHIMON KARMEL PHOTO
                                BTO returns to Winnipeg as a quintet that includes (from left) Brent Howard, Randy Bachman (front), Bachman’s son Tal Bachman, Lance Lapointe and Koko Bachman.

SHIMON KARMEL PHOTO

BTO returns to Winnipeg as a quintet that includes (from left) Brent Howard, Randy Bachman (front), Bachman’s son Tal Bachman, Lance Lapointe and Koko Bachman.

The first new BTO song in more than 25 years features vocals by Turner and guitar by Young, with backing support from Bachman’s son Tal and daughter-in-law Koko.

Fond hometown reminiscing has been a two-way street.

The band has been rolling on down the Trans-Canada Highway for the last two weeks on an eastbound revival tour. Formed in Winnipeg in the 1970s, BTO is set to play its first hometown show in decades on Sunday — albeit with a reconfigured lineup.

The group was originally set to play at Canada Life Centre on Saturday, but the concert was bumped to accommodate the first game of the NHL playoffs. In an announcement late Wednesday, Bachman said he was “thrilled to see the Jets take their best-in-league record into the playoffs,” and planned to be in the stands as the team faced off against the St. Louis Blues.

But first, he has some business to take care of.

Concert Preview

Bachman-Turner Overdrive

with April Wine and Headpins

● Canada Life Centre

● Sunday, 6:45 p.m.

● Tickets $51.75 to $148 at Ticketmaster

Tomorrow afternoon, members of the band will attend a ceremony to celebrate the renaming of the Disraeli Freeway to Bachman-Turner Overdrive, an honorary designation spurred on by Winnipeg city councillors Ross Eadie and Markus Chambers.

“Their music not only shaped a generation but also inspired countless artists across Canada and beyond. We’re proud to recognize their roots here in our city,” Chambers said in a media release.

For Bachman, the 2025 Back in Overdrive Tour is something of a victory lap.

Prior to departing for the two-month journey from Victoria to Halifax, he was looking forward to getting back to work following several years of health scares and personal tragedies.

“I’m happy to be alive and on stage and rocking and rolling,” Bachman said over the phone from his home on Vancouver Island.

In 2020, he contracted COVID-19 and double pneumonia and later received several cancer diagnoses. Then in 2023, Bachman’s younger brothers and original BTO members, Robbie and Tim, died within months of one another.

Yet, the family band dynamic lives on with the group’s current lineup.

Husband-and-wife duo Tal and Koko Bachman have joined the touring roster — on guitar/vocals and drums, respectively — along with Lance Lapointe (bass) and Brent Howard (guitar).

Turner is not currently performing with BTO.

SHIMON KARMEL PHOTO
                                Bachman-Turner Overdrive 2025, from left: Lance Lapointe, Tal Bachman, Randy Bachman, Brent Howard and Koko Bachman.

SHIMON KARMEL PHOTO

Bachman-Turner Overdrive 2025, from left: Lance Lapointe, Tal Bachman, Randy Bachman, Brent Howard and Koko Bachman.

Tal, 56, is well-versed on the material. “I’ve played with dad in all sorts of configurations pretty much my whole life, so I don’t feel like I’m replacing or displacing (my uncles); it’s a continuation of what all the brothers started all those years ago,” he said.

And Koko has taken to performing in the same style as the late Robbie Bachman, a left-handed drummer who played on a right-handed kit.

“Koko channels Robbie. I think BTO fans will be amazed,” Bachman said.

Sunday’s show at Canada Life Centre is set to include hits from the band’s lauded catalogue, such as Let It Ride, You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet and Takin’ Care of Business, as well as covers of Tal’s 1999 release She’s So High and a handful of Guess Who favourites.

While Bachman-Turner Overdrive will continue touring through the United States this summer, the band’s homecoming is likely a final farewell.

“We’re still going, but this time through Winnipeg might be the last,” Bachman said.

Although, he’s not opposed to a different kind of victory lap with the Guess Who.

Last fall, Bachman and Burton Cummings acquired the trademark for the band’s name after settling a yearslong lawsuit with former bandmates Jim Kale and Garry Peterson.

“There will be an announcement coming,” Bachman said, teasing the possibility of a Guess Who reunion. Friday’s road designation ceremony takes place at 1 p.m. at the Oseredok Ukrainian Cultural and Educational Centre, 184 Alexander Ave., near the Disraeli Bridge.

eva.wasney@winnipegfreepress.com

Eva Wasney

Eva Wasney
Reporter

Eva Wasney has been a reporter with the Free Press Arts & Life department since 2019. Read more about Eva.

Every piece of reporting Eva produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Thursday, April 17, 2025 9:31 AM CDT: Changes to Sunday from Saturday after event rescheduled

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: 4:07 PM CDT

Some customers in downtown Winnipeg are experiencing a Bell MTS service interruption after telecommunications infrastructure was damaged Tuesday.

Bell MTS said on social media that a third-party construction crew accidentally cut a copper cable, causing the outage.

Contractors drilled through multiple underground ducts, causing significant damage to several cables and requiring extensive repairs.

A small number of buildings, mainly concentrated on Fort Street, Garry Street and York Avenue, may be experiencing landline or internet issues because of the damage, said Bell spokesperson Elise von Scheel.

Read
Updated: 4:07 PM CDT

Randy Bachman puts together new BTO lineup for one more trip down the highway

Eva Wasney 5 minute read Preview

Randy Bachman puts together new BTO lineup for one more trip down the highway

Eva Wasney 5 minute read Thursday, Apr. 17, 2025

Winnipeg has been top of mind lately for Randy Bachman.

Last month, the 81-year-old guitarist and co-founder of acclaimed local rock bands the Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive released the single 60 Years Ago — a tribute to his cold, snowy birthplace and musical peers.

“It’s a gift back to Winnipeg about growing up there and how great Winnipeg was as a teenager for me and Neil Young and Burton Cummings and Fred Turner in the ’60s. It was like the Liverpool of Canada; it was just amazing,” ” Bachman said in a recent interview.

The first new BTO song in more than 25 years features vocals by Turner and guitar by Young, with backing support from Bachman’s son Tal and daughter-in-law Koko.

Read
Thursday, Apr. 17, 2025

Bombers face season test playing best in the West

Joshua Frey-Sam 8 minute read Preview

Bombers face season test playing best in the West

Joshua Frey-Sam 8 minute read 3:31 PM CDT

The page has officially flipped to the second half of the season, and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers find themselves teetering in the CFL’s grey zone, with the scale capable of tipping in either direction.

Sure, the club would be in the playoffs if the regular season ended today, but it’s closer to the bottom of the West Division than it is to the top.

The club’s perpetually optimistic head coach Mike O’Shea said earlier this week that his team is “probably where we need to be.”

Beyond O’Shea, it’s a mixed bag of reviews from coaches and players alike about how they are feeling through nine contests.

Read
3:31 PM CDT

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read 6:37 PM CDT

The union representing Winnipeg Transit drivers says the need for full safety shields is critical after an operator was threatened with a hatchet early Thursday.

Read
6:37 PM CDT