Trivia company founder arrested for child porn

All local Tremendous events cancelled

Advertisement

Advertise with us

A national pub trivia company that ran contests at several local venues is scrambling to restore its reputation after its founder was arrested on child pornography and exploitation charges in British Columbia.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

A national pub trivia company that ran contests at several local venues is scrambling to restore its reputation after its founder was arrested on child pornography and exploitation charges in British Columbia.

Based in Kelowna, Tremendous Trivia Night Productions was under the ownership of a man named Jayson John Davey, under whom the company expanded its operations in recent years to Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario.

Last month, contests across the country were largely cancelled once new charges were laid against the 56-year-old, a former elementary school teacher who had changed his name from John Patrick Davy after being sentenced to 30 months in jail for possession of child pornography materials in 2014.

At the time of that initial arrest, news outlets in his former home of Chilliwack, B.C., reported that the man was found with more than 27,000 digital images and 866 videos classified as child pornography.

It was also reported that three female Grade 6 students complained to their school that Davy had touched them inappropriately, though the incident never went to police or court.

In the intervening decade, the accused changed his name, moved to Kelowna, and started operating Tremendous Trivia, whose website boasts that it became the country’s “largest and most popular trivia event provider, with more than 100 events per week at venues throughout the Okanagan, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Southern Ontario.”

Davy’s latest charges, for possession of child sexual abuse and exploitation material, stem from an arrest last summer.

Once reports of Davy’s criminal record came to light, trivia hosts across the country began to quit en masse, with venues, including ones in Manitoba, ceasing to work with the B.C.-based provider.

Kaely Dyck, the co-owner of the Smitty’s Restaurant & Lounge on Pembina Highway, said that all ties with Tremendous were cut as soon as the venue heard about the charges against Davy. Like hundreds of venues across the country, the restaurant is seeking out a new trivia provider, she says.

The company’s network of independent hosts were caught off guard by the charges levelled against Davy, who preferred to be called JD, and posted online as JD Quizman.

On Feb. 17, the company issued its first and as yet only public statement on its Facebook page.

“We would like to address an unexpected and difficult situation taking place in the company and what remediation steps are being taken. The company’s founder, John Davey, is facing serious criminal charges and has a criminal past related to these same charges. First and foremost, we do not condone his actions. We were completely unaware of this until very recently and we do not wish to interfere with the legal investigation.

“Earlier today, two senior managers reached an agreement with John Davey to assume control of the company and have John Davey exit the business completely. The company will be under new leadership and operational management starting today. Upon Mr. Davey’s exit, we will be proud to invite back to work any former employees who have resigned. We look forward to making a fresh start with a strong and dedicated team committed to providing top-quality events for our valued employees, venue partners and fans, and appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding through this ordeal.”

“This wasn’t something I wanted to be associated with for even another second,” says former Winnipeg host Jesse Bercier, who quit the weekly gig in disgust last month after a year of contract employment. “I know they’re scrambling to get venues back on board with them and hosts back working with them again, but I couldn’t tell you to what degree of success.”

On Thursday, the Tremendous Trivia website had no listings for future events, either regularly scheduled free biweekly trivia nights or theme nights, which are ticketed events.

Contacted by phone Thursday, the company’s acting director, Stephen Smith, confirmed to the Free Press that he was one of the managers in question.

Smith, a sales and accounting executive who started out as a trivia host three years ago before becoming a full-time employee in January 2025, said that he and another manager, whom he would not name, are in negotiations to “acquire 100 per cent of the company’s shares” from Davy.

The accused is scheduled to appear in B.C. provincial court in Kelowna next on March 10.

winnipegfreepress.com/benwaldman

Ben Waldman

Ben Waldman
Reporter

Ben Waldman is a National Newspaper Award-nominated reporter on the Arts & Life desk at the Free Press. Born and raised in Winnipeg, Ben completed three internships with the Free Press while earning his degree at Ryerson University’s (now Toronto Metropolitan University’s) School of Journalism before joining the newsroom full-time in 2019. Read more about Ben.

Every piece of reporting Ben produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 10:25 AM CDT

Manitoba hasn’t agreed to put American liquor back on shelves despite Prime Minister Mark Carney’s request while his government finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. to avoid new tariffs.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 10:25 AM CDT

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

The union representing Winnipeg Transit drivers says the need for full safety shields is critical after an operator was threatened with a hatchet early Thursday.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Finish summer strong with these fun, relaxing options

Conrad Sweatman 6 minute read Preview

Finish summer strong with these fun, relaxing options

Conrad Sweatman 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:00 AM CDT

Late summer can feel neither here nor there.

As on a Sunday night, a certain back-to-school or -work melancholy sets in. The big Manitoba festivals have come and gone. You’re starting to take a reckoning of all the craft beer and food-truck calories you’ve sopped up for two months, without having done as much hiking, canoeing or yard work as you promised yourself.

The wind begins breathing threats of fall, but the golden colours, jack-o’- lanterns and corn mazes aren’t here yet to reassure you of fall’s dusky pleasures. Instead, on a perfect 22 C day, you find yourself having flashbacks of Winnipeg winter nights colder than Mars.

Are we being overly depressing? Absolutely.

Read
Yesterday at 5:00 AM CDT

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Doctor speaks out, raises alarm over gas plant expansion plans

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Preview

Doctor speaks out, raises alarm over gas plant expansion plans

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

A retired doctor is raising red flags on Manitoba Hydro’s proposed gas plant expansion in Brandon and the health-related consequences of climate change.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

‘Unsafe for children’: Mayoral candidate Vogiatzakis promises to ramp up security in public parks

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

‘Unsafe for children’: Mayoral candidate Vogiatzakis promises to ramp up security in public parks

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:32 PM CDT

A mayoral candidate is vowing to have security teams monitor parks and remove people doing drugs at the green spaces, if elected.

Mike Vogiatzakis held a news conference at city hall Friday, where he shared some initial promises.

“People (who) are not supposed to be in those parks, who are bringing drugs to those parks, who are injecting needles in their bodies, they will be removed (from) those parks immediately and their needles will go with them,” said Vogiatzakis.

He vowed to release a new pledge each week for the rest of the campaign.

Read
Yesterday at 5:32 PM CDT