Final season of Less Than Kind starts shooting

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The much-lauded TV series Less Than Kind will shoot its fourth and final season in Winnipeg commencing Monday, May 28.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/05/2012 (5199 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The much-lauded TV series Less Than Kind will shoot its fourth and final season in Winnipeg commencing Monday, May 28.

The series, which won Gemini awards for writing, acting and best comedy in its second season, might have been on less solid ground after the death of star Maury Chaykin in July of 2010. But the show rallied with its third season writing in the death of Chaykin’s character, blustering patriarch Sam Blecher, by falling back on the talents of the rest of the show’s formidable ensemble.

Executive producer Marvin Kaye, who co-created the show with Chris Sheasgreen, was inspired by his own Winnipeg family history to hatch the dysfunctional Blecher clan. He says he was proud to have had a part in creating that rarest of entities, a critically acclaimed Canadian TV series that ran for four seasons.

HBO CANADA
The cast of locally shot comedy Less Than Kind, including Brooke Palsson, left, and Jesse Camacho, struggled with the death of star Maury Chaykin last year.
HBO CANADA The cast of locally shot comedy Less Than Kind, including Brooke Palsson, left, and Jesse Camacho, struggled with the death of star Maury Chaykin last year.

“But we all felt like it was time to end it,” he says.

“The family has we created have one last story to tell, and we discussed it with the network and they agreed,” Kaye says. The show is broadcast by Astral’s The Movie Network in Eastern Canada and Corus Entertainment’s Movie Central in Western Canada.

“We are all thrilled to be doing a fourth season that offers the creative challenge of concluding this story and this wonderful series,” said executive producer/showrunner Mark McKinney. “It’s incredibly satisfying as so few shows get this opportunity.”

Where the other seasons have tended to be filmed in chillier conditions, the fourth will be set in Winnipeg in summer as matriarch Anne (Wendel Meldrum) is facing the imminent departure of her youngest son Sheldon (Jesse Camacho). Older brother Josh (Gemini-winner Benjamin Arthur) is engaged to the demanding Shandra (Lisa Durupt) and trying to make a go of a career at Manitoba Labels. Anne’s sister Clara (Nancy Sorel) is facing a lonely future. And Sheldon’s relationship with his friends Miriam (Brooke Palsson) and Danny (Tyler Johnston) is destined to go through some changes.

Kaye says the fourth season will formally wrap up the story of the Blechers, but he does not discount the idea of returning to some or all of the characters in the future, in some other capacity.

“I would never write off coming back to the Blechers,” Kaye says, adding he is nevertheless satisfied with wrapping up the series with a fourth and final season.

“I feel so blessed to get four solid seasons,” says Kaye. “The whole experience has been a blessing.”

Less Than Kind Season Four will shoot in the Manitoba Production Centre and other Winnipeg locations till July 10 and will be broadcast in 2013.

randall.king@freepress.mb.ca

Randall King

Randall King
Writer

Randall King writes about film for the Winnipeg Free Press.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read 5:13 PM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
5:13 PM CDT

Carney touts ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs for three days

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Carney touts ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs for three days

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 6:27 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - U.S. President Donald Trump announced late Tuesday a last-minute deal to delay new tariffs from slamming an array of Canadian products for three days.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said in response there’s still important work to do.

"Over the last number of weeks, Canada has engaged in intensive discussions with the United States to address outstanding trade issues and deliver greater certainty and real benefits for Canadian businesses, workers, farmers and families," Carney said in a statement.

He said "substantial progress" has been made and Canada is focused on "building a stronger, more independent and more competitive economy at home."

Read
Updated: 6:27 AM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Elections Alberta asks Elections Manitoba staffers to help during referendum

Carol Sanders 2 minute read Preview

Elections Alberta asks Elections Manitoba staffers to help during referendum

Carol Sanders 2 minute read 3:11 PM CDT

Manitoba’s non-partisan elections management agency could play a role in Alberta’s fall referendum.

“Elections Alberta has asked Elections Manitoba to send staff to assist with the referendum taking place there in October,” said Tessa Vanderhart, a spokesperson with the office of the Chief Electoral Officer of Manitoba.

The Oct. 19 referendum will ask Albertans 10 questions, including “Should Alberta remain a province of Canada, or should the Government of Alberta commence the legal process required under the Canadian Constitution to hold a binding provincial referendum on whether or not Alberta should separate from Canada?”

Each of the referendum questions will be on separate numbered and colour-coded ballots. They will be counted by hand, the Elections Alberta website says. With an estimated 2,966,192 voters in the province — registered as of May 2025 — there could be as many as 30 million ballots to count.

Read
3:11 PM CDT

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read 6:32 PM CDT

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
6:32 PM CDT