Wardrobe of possibilities

Adaptation of children’s classic adds new twists and turns

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Toronto’s Bad Hats Theatre has a good thing going in Winnipeg.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 01/12/2023 (994 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Toronto’s Bad Hats Theatre has a good thing going in Winnipeg.

Over the last five years, the innovative, something-from-nothing Toronto musical theatre company has developed a collaborative relationship with the Manitoba Theatre for Young People that a growing arts organization can usually only dream of.

In 2019, Bad Hats brought its award-winning version of J.M. Barrie’s Peter Pan to the theatre at The Forks. Last year, the company was back at it with a wild and moving take on Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland, which went on to win six Dora Mavor Moore Awards after its run at Toronto’s Soulpepper Theatre.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS 
                                C.S. Lewis’s Narnia books have been updated by Toronto’s Bad Hats Theatre for MTYP’s stage.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

C.S. Lewis’s Narnia books have been updated by Toronto’s Bad Hats Theatre for MTYP’s stage.

Now, artistic director Fiona Sauder and her band of misfits are back to launch another world première of a Bad Hats adaptation, based on C.S. Lewis’s Narnia series, yet another classic piece of children’s literature ripe for a modern update with extra twists and turns.

Why toy with something that’s working so well?

After the success of Alice, MTYP artistic director Pablo Felices-Luna couldn’t think of a single reason, so he commissioned Sauder’s company to take on Lewis’s magical world, first brought to light in 1950 with the publication of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Narnia runs until Dec. 23 and is recommended for children in Grade 1 and up.

“(Pablo) said, ‘Whatever you want to do, let’s make it happen,’” explains Sauder, 31, who co-founded Bad Hats with Nicola Atkinson in 2015 after graduating from Toronto’s George Brown Theatre School.

“Whatever you want to do, let’s make it happen,” could easily be the company’s motto. Sauder, who carries herself with an admirably punky air, says Bad Hats always looks to create “from the spirit of the child,” through “high-octane ensemble work.”

They play make-believe with whatever is within reach.

Look at a Bad Hats set and you won’t see expensive gear or gadgets.

“We’re not looking to have major production elements like a revolving stage or hydraulic risers that pop in and out,” says Sauder, who’s sitting in the Bad Hats director’s chair for the first time on Narnia.

“The way a child can pick up a stick and say, ‘This is a wand,’ and believe it’s true. We have adults who do that onstage, which allows the audience to fill in the missing pieces. Our budget is often the audience’s imagination.”

While that’s undoubtedly true, Bad Hats fortunes have been on the rise in recent years, especially since the company first came to MTYP in 2019 with Peter Pan. Soulpepper, one of the country’s leading theatre companies, took note of the production, which ran seven times in five years.

That was the beginning of yet another fruitful collaborative relationship, which continues with Soulpepper’s upcoming remount of Alice, featuring Winnipeg’s Colleen Furlan, this month.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                Shelayna Christante stars as Lucy in MTYP’s production of Narnia by Bad Hats Theatre.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Shelayna Christante stars as Lucy in MTYP’s production of Narnia by Bad Hats Theatre.

“What was a tandem bicycle up until that moment got rocket ships strapped to the side, and off we went,” says Sauder. “The company changed overnight and we’ve been sprinting and inventing as we go ever since.”

On Tuesday afternoon during a media call for Narnia, Sauder, wearing an Adidas tracksuit, was dressed for a marathon as her cast — including Winnipeg’s Duncan Cox, Elena Howard-Scott, Melanie Whyte, Chase Winnicky, Ben Ridd and Kara Joseph — sang, strummed and danced its way through a wintry number.

Sauder was right to use the term “high-octane ensemble work.” The actors in Narnia don’t just say their lines and hit their marks; they play guitar, violin, piano and electric bass as they make their way into the wardrobe.

To Sauder, Narnia marks the third entry into a Bad Hats-MTYP trilogy, each dealing with time and age.

Peter Pan was about the moment we realize we have to grow up. Alice was about what happens when we peek into adulthood. And Narnia is about the changing seasons of our lives.”

After Narnia premières this week, Sauder won’t have much time to stick around and rest: she’s playing multiple roles in the Soulpepper production of Alice.

“I’ll open this show and the next day jump on a plane to Toronto,” she says.

Onto the next story.

ben.waldman@winnipegfreepress.com

Ben Waldman

Ben Waldman
Reporter

Ben Waldman is a National Newspaper Award-nominated reporter on the Arts & Life desk at the Free Press. Born and raised in Winnipeg, Ben completed three internships with the Free Press while earning his degree at Ryerson University’s (now Toronto Metropolitan University’s) School of Journalism before joining the newsroom full-time in 2019. Read more about Ben.

Every piece of reporting Ben produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Friday, December 1, 2023 1:25 PM CST: Adds link, corrects date to Dec. 23

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Veteran actress Grier to headline Film Training Manitoba event

Gabrielle Piché 3 minute read Preview

Veteran actress Grier to headline Film Training Manitoba event

Gabrielle Piché 3 minute read 7:54 PM CDT

An actress known for her pioneering work in U.S cinema will speak at a Winnipeg event promoting women in film careers.

Pam Grier is slated to talk about breaking barriers and building a lasting career during the Supporting Women in Film Trades (SWIFT) conference.

Grier received a Golden Globe nomination in 1998 for her lead role in Jackie Brown, a Quentin Tarantino movie. Her breakout roles came starring in blaxploitation films Coffy and Foxy Brown — released in 1973 and 1974, respectively.

“Pam Grier was such a huge get for us,” Adam Smoluk, executive director of Film Training Manitoba, said Thursday.

Read
7:54 PM CDT

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Preview

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read 8:02 PM CDT

A rural Manitoba MLA says he has heard from constituents who are “shocked and outraged” that a 66-year-old man is facing charges after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property.

“This isn’t vigilante justice. This isn’t about someone going out and trying to settle scores,” Josh Guenter, the Progressive Conservative MLA for Borderland, said Thursday.

“This is about Manitobans who have crime perpetrated on them, and what they’re able to do in that moment, to protect themselves, their loved ones, and their property.”

Officers were sent to property in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people who had been on the property earlier in the day returned that evening, driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

Read
8:02 PM CDT

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: 11:34 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said he feels confident the agreement will protect American workers and jobs while strengthening the North American market, making the continent a manufacturing and energy powerhouse.

"We certainly, I think, have eliminated some of the irritants that we've had over the past year," he said, "We also are taking a strong foot forward."

Prime Minister Mark Carney said in a statement that the new deal reinforces and builds on Canada's existing trade advantages with the U.S.

Read
Updated: 11:34 AM CDT

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: 11:27 AM CDT

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026