Monty Hall receiving award at Emmys

Advertisement

Advertise with us

TV’s Monty Hall will no longer have to explain to visitors to his Beverly Hills home that the Emmy Award in his living room is his wife’s and not his.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 11/06/2013 (4819 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

TV’s Monty Hall will no longer have to explain to visitors to his Beverly Hills home that the Emmy Award in his living room is his wife’s and not his.

After doing more than 4,000 episodes over the last half-century of his iconic daytime game show, Hall is finally getting an Emmy Award of his own. The 91-year-old ex-Winnipegger is receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 40th Daytime Entertainment Emmy Awards, which airs Sunday on Turner Broadcasting’s HLN.

“For 27 years I’ve had to say it’s not mine,” said Hall, during a telephone interview today from Los Angeles. “It’s very nice they recognize what I’ve done in my television career but it’s not the one hole in my life I’ve been trying to fill.”

Monty Hall will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 40th Daytime Entertainment Emmy Awards, which airs Sunday.
Monty Hall will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 40th Daytime Entertainment Emmy Awards, which airs Sunday.

His wife of 65 years, Marilyn Hall, beat him to the podium, winning an Emmy as a producer of the 1985 CBS TV movie Do You Remember Love?

Hall said for the first time he didn’t get back to Winnipeg last year for his annual visit but still wants to go home to see the shrinking number of family members.

“I still love going back to Winnipeg,” he said. “It still holds a nostalgic place for me.”

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:07 PM CDT

Some customers in downtown Winnipeg are experiencing a Bell MTS service interruption after telecommunications infrastructure was damaged Tuesday.

Bell MTS said on social media that a third-party construction crew accidentally cut a copper cable, causing the outage.

Contractors drilled through multiple underground ducts, causing significant damage to several cables and requiring extensive repairs.

A small number of buildings, mainly concentrated on Fort Street, Garry Street and York Avenue, may be experiencing landline or internet issues because of the damage, said Bell spokesperson Elise von Scheel.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:07 PM CDT

‘How can we grow back the herd in Canada?’

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

‘How can we grow back the herd in Canada?’

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Yesterday at 7:50 PM CDT

Amid high beef prices and trade uncertainty, a Farm Credit Canada executive touched down in Winnipeg with a message: it’s time for cattle producers to grow.

“What they face right now is … opportunity,” said Jean-Philippe Gervais, the federal Crown corporation’s executive vice-president of agricultural production.

Gervais was representing FCC, the country’s top agricultural lender, at the Canadian Beef Industry Conference.

He spoke to the Free Press ahead of his keynote speech Thursday afternoon. Hundreds of cattle farmers and industry leaders gathered at the RBC Convention Centre for the four-day event, which began on Monday.

Read
Yesterday at 7:50 PM CDT

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Manitoba premier open to lifting U.S. booze ban but hopes Canadians won’t buy it

Ian Bickis, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Preview

Manitoba premier open to lifting U.S. booze ban but hopes Canadians won’t buy it

Ian Bickis, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:13 PM CDT

WINNIPEG - Manitoba's premier says he is reluctantly open to returning U.S. booze to provincial shelves as part of a trade deal, but hopes Canadians won't buy it.

Wab Kinew said Thursday he's still waiting for key details, including what the final tariff rates will be, before making any commitments. 

He said Prime Minister Mark Carney has all but begged the provinces to agree to allow U.S. alcohol sales, as Canada and the United States work to finalize a new trade deal to ward off further punishing tariffs on Canadian goods.

While he hasn't agreed to it yet, Kinew said if the province does agree, he hopes Canadians still buy locally.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 5:13 PM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

A long-awaited project will aim to add 115 new homes in Elmwood, with on-site social programs to support some of its more vulnerable residents.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026