Virtual film festival a success

Shooed online by COVID-19, Gimli Film Festival is close to last year's audience numbers

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Nobody got sunstroke. Mosquito bites were at a minimum. And no one was turned away from a screening.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 28/07/2020 (2212 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Nobody got sunstroke. Mosquito bites were at a minimum. And no one was turned away from a screening.

That’s the good news about the Gimli Film Festival, which went entirely online this past week in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Festival director Aaron Zeghers says it is difficult to gauge the viewership of the online iteration of the fest for the simple reason that there is no way to count how many people are watching a streamed video.

Supplied
The film Ruthless Souls won Madison Thomas the Best Manitoba Director award.
Supplied The film Ruthless Souls won Madison Thomas the Best Manitoba Director award.

“In a regular year, we can just count how many people are watching films,” Zeghers says. “When you’re streaming from home, there’s at least one person in there but there might be two or there might be three.

“But the on-demand platform turned out to be quite popular,” he says. “There were people from across the world buying tickets. In terms of total streams and tickets purchased through that platform, whether with a pass or individual tickets, it was just over 3,000 purchased.

“Our attendance last year was about 5,500,” he says. “(Assuming) an average of 1.5 to two watching, we kind of hit our same numbers as last year,” he says. “We’re hoping for an audience survey that will be able to get more information on the average amount of people that were watching at home.

“Generally we’re happy with how it went,” he says, adding that an online component of the festival may be here to stay, beyond the pandemic.

“I think there will be remnants of this in all of our events,” he says. “It’s forced us to figure out these things that we’ve been wanting to do for a long time but we’ve never had the impetus to make it happen.”

❑❑❑

The Gimli Film Fest may be able to pump up its numbers with the announcement of the GFF Extended Run. Cinephiles may stream a shortened list of GFF movies for two more weeks by purchasing individual tickets to stream 13 feature films and seven short programs.

The GFF Extended Run will run for two weeks until Sunday, Aug. 9. Only individual tickets to these screenings can be purchased for $10 to unlock one film. The available films may be selected at http://wfp.to/gimlifilm.

❑❑❑

As usual, the Gimli Film Fest handed out awards to participating filmmakers. This year, the winners included:

Best Manitoba Director Award: Madison Thomas (Ruthless Souls).

On the Rise Award: Best Canadian Director to Watch: Matthew Rankin (The Twentieth Century)

Indigenous Spirit Award: The Body Remembers When the World Broke Open by Elle-Máijá Tailfeathers & Kathleen Hepburn

Achievement in Acting Awards: Mary Galloway (Ruthless Souls) and Milos Mitrovic (Tapeworm)

supplied
Ruthless Souls stars Mary Galloway as Jackie Campbell, an Ojibwe artist struggling to cope with her partner’s sudden death.
supplied Ruthless Souls stars Mary Galloway as Jackie Campbell, an Ojibwe artist struggling to cope with her partner’s sudden death.

Best Manitoba Short Film Jury Prize: Northstarling by Daniel Gerson & Trevor Mowchun

Best Manitoba Short Film Audience Choice Award: Portage Place by Tiff Bartel

Best Canadian Short Film Jury PrizeWinner: Now is the Time by Christopher Auchter

Best International Short Film Jury Prize Winner: Mthunzi by Tebogo Malebogo

Grand Jury Prize: The Body Remembers When the World Broke Open by Elle-Máijá Tailfeathers & Kathleen Hepburn

RBC $10,000 Emerging Filmmaker Pitch Competition Winner: Joanne Roberts

Anak Audience Choice Award: Quan Luong and Erin Hembrador – Roadie

Best of Fest Audience Choice Award: Driveways by Andrew Ahn

randall.king@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @FreepKing

Randall King

Randall King
Writer

Randall King writes about film for the Winnipeg Free Press.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

It wasn’t a stellar performance by any stretch.

But at this point, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will take a win no matter what it looks like.

The Blue and Gold outlasted the winless Ottawa Redblacks 33-21 on a rainy Friday night at Princess Auto Stadium to improve to 5-4.

“It’s great to finally get a win at home for our fans and to go out and play a better game is very encouraging,” said right guard Patrick Neufeld.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Free fix is in: repair café aims to keep items out of landfills

Tiago Resko 3 minute read Preview

Free fix is in: repair café aims to keep items out of landfills

Tiago Resko 3 minute read Updated: 12:09 PM CDT

Stephen Kirk wants to give people a chance to fix items they’re not ready to let go of.

The Spence Neighbourhood Association staffer took notice when repair cafés started popping up around the world, and he decided to bring the idea to Winnipeg.

The café invites people to bring broken items like bikes, clothes and small kitchen appliances to the association’s headquarters to get free repairs by a team of skilled volunteers.

“Certainly in our neighbourhood, a lot of people’s motivation is economic, they would rather fix it than have to buy a new one,” said Kirk, the environmental and open spaces coordinator for the Spence Neighbourhood Association.

Read
Updated: 12:09 PM CDT

RCMP searching for missing 34-year-old woman

1 minute read Updated: 8:07 AM CDT

Police are asking for the public’s help locating a 34-year-old woman last heard from almost a week ago.

Tamara Stevens, who also goes by Tammy, was last heard from on Sunday last weekend and was reported missing Tuesday morning, said a Thompson RCMP news release Saturday.

RCMP and family are worried for her well-being.

Stevens is believed to be in Thompson and is described as 5'7, with a slender build and long red hair, said RCMP. She also has a piercing on her lip and was last seen wearing black T-Shirt featuring the Twilight character Jacob, pants and work boots.

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Preview

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

A Winnipeg foster mother has admitted to violently assaulting her ill foster daughter and leaving her paralyzed after the girl resisted the woman’s efforts to provide her with medication, a court has heard.

Marilyn Keno, 26, pleaded guilty Friday to one count of aggravated assault.

Keno remains in custody and will be sentenced at a later date following the completion of a court-ordered pre-sentence report.

The maximum sentence for aggravated assault is 14 years in prison. Crown attorney Alanna Littman and defence lawyer Jeremy Kostiuk did not disclose what sentences they will be recommending.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Preview

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read 5:49 PM CDT

A three-person crew, employed by the city as part of its recently expanded proactive cleanup program, allowed the Free Press to follow along last week while they worked to make the Freight House Recreation Centre's property safe to play in.

Read
5:49 PM CDT

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Updated: 6:28 PM CDT

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Updated: 6:28 PM CDT