Orchestra to celebrate its musicians

MCO's Tour de Force will feature two world premières, award-winning composers

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The Manitoba Chamber Orchestra (MCO) celebrates its own when it presents its next cheekily titled concert, Tour de Force, on Tuesday, March 19, before taking the show on the road with two performances in Halifax and Fredericton, N.B., on March 22 and 23, respectively.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Opinion

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 06/03/2019 (2726 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The Manitoba Chamber Orchestra (MCO) celebrates its own when it presents its next cheekily titled concert, Tour de Force, on Tuesday, March 19, before taking the show on the road with two performances in Halifax and Fredericton, N.B., on March 22 and 23, respectively.

The program, led by Anne Manson, features two world premières as the latest instalment in the orchestra’s ongoing New Concerto Project, which has also included works by Winnipeg’s David Raphael Scott and Heidi Ouellette, as well as American composer Philip Glass’s third piano concerto presented last year.

First up is Juno Award-winning composer Vivian Fung’s Concerto for Two Violins and String Orchestra, showcasing MCO concertmaster Karl Stobbe and Okanagan Symphony Orchestra concertmaster Rachel Kristenson, who frequently moonlights as principal second violin with the MCO.

Charles Boudreau photo
Vivian Fung
Charles Boudreau photo Vivian Fung

The duo will perform the Edmonton-born composer’s one-movement, 15-minute work inspired by the tightly interlocked rhythms of Balinese gamelan music. Fung, whose work is often infused with strong multicultural influences, is a former member and composer for critically acclaimed New York City-based group Gamelan Dharma Swara. She has competed with the traditional Indonesian percussion ensemble at the Bali Arts Festival in what she describes as a “battle of the gamelans.”

Other global travels for her art have taken her to Vietnam and Spain, as well as Cambodia, where, with her husband and three-year-old toddler, she conducted research for a new opera last month.

“There’s a concept in gamelan music where two instruments play complementary rhythms or melodies that form two halves of a whole,” Fung says over the telephone from California, where she teaches at Santa Clara University.

“But my new work also has a huge chorale at the end that pays homage to baroque music, including the violin concerti that were born in that era, with Bach being a prime example of that,” she says of her East-meets-West composition, which also marks her first double concerto.

The second première is Canadian film and dance composer Kevin Lau’s Writ in Water, inspired by the epitaph on English poet John Keats’s gravestone, reading: “Here Lies One whose Name was writ in Water.”

“To me, these words express despair, defiance, resignation and a strange kind of affirmation all at once,” the Toronto-based Lau reveals in his eloquent program notes. “Writ in Water’s music embodies these conflicting states of mind. Moments of tranquil lyricism collide with moments of anxiety and pain. Certain phrases appear once, only to fade, unresolved, like words written in water. Much of the music passes in a dream-like manner, attempting (and often failing) to find firm ground.”

The program also includes Mozart’s Symphony No. 29 in A Major, K. 201/186a as well as Haydn’s Symphony No. 45 in F-sharp Minor, a.k.a. the “Farewell” — with the denouement of Lau’s piece inspired by Papa’s famous finale, in which players gradually exit the stage one by one as a not-so-subtle reminder to the good-natured Austrian composer’s patron, Prince Esterházy, that summer vacation for the musicians was long overdue when he first penned the four-movement work in 1772.

The concert takes place at Westminster United Church on Tuesday, March 19, at 7:30 p.m. with a shorter matinee program presented at 1 p.m. For tickets or more information, visit themco.ca.

• • •

A little further afield, albeit still celebrating local talent, I heard Winnipeg-based soprano Tracy Dahl reprise her role as Despina in the Canadian Opera Company’s recent production of Mozart’s Così fan tutte, directed by Canadian filmmaker/writer Atom Egoyan. Now in her fourth decade performing in all the world’s great opera houses, from the Metropolitan to La Scala, Dahl’s artistry burns brighter than ever.

Beyond her sparkling coloratura, Dahl is also renowned for her impeccable comic timing — Carol Burnett being a long-revered heroine — with her character in the Wunderkind’s opera buffa morphing from the dutiful maid to wacky, magnet-wielding “doctor,” electrifying the Toronto crowd while eliciting open guffaws. Any opera company is lucky to have this Canadian treasure grace their stage; the fact that she is also a proud Winnipegger makes us proud in turn. Brava!

holly.harris@shaw.ca

Holly Harris
Writer

Holly Harris writes about music for the Free Press Arts & Life department.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Wednesday, March 6, 2019 1:30 PM CST: corrects spelling of Kristenson

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Demonstrators rallied at the Manitoba legislature Friday, calling the abuse and death of children in care a “state of emergency.”

“These things continue to happen,” said Donna Dumas, a former foster parent of a child with special needs.

She pointed to the Aug. 9 death of a four-year-old girl in care on Long Plain First Nation. Two of the girl’s sisters, aged one and two, were hospitalized with injuries. The children’s mother, who was at Friday’s rally, previously told the Free Press she was working to get her kids back in her care after they were apprehended in October 2025.

Family reunification advocate Cheryl Wozniak said the NDP government was expected to help return children to their families.

‘Unsafe for children’: Mayoral candidate Vogiatzakis promises to ramp up security in public parks

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

‘Unsafe for children’: Mayoral candidate Vogiatzakis promises to ramp up security in public parks

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read 5:32 PM CDT

A mayoral candidate is vowing to have security teams monitor parks and remove people doing drugs at the green spaces, if elected.

Mike Vogiatzakis held a news conference at city hall Friday, where he shared some initial promises.

“People (who) are not supposed to be in those parks, who are bringing drugs to those parks, who are injecting needles in their bodies, they will be removed (from) those parks immediately and their needles will go with them,” said Vogiatzakis.

He vowed to release a new pledge each week for the rest of the campaign.

Read
5:32 PM CDT

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Updated: 10:25 AM CDT

Manitoba hasn’t agreed to put American liquor back on shelves despite Prime Minister Mark Carney’s request while his government finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. to avoid new tariffs.

Read
Updated: 10:25 AM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Updated: 8:25 AM CDT

A long-awaited project will aim to add 115 new homes in Elmwood, with on-site social programs to support some of its more vulnerable residents.

Read
Updated: 8:25 AM CDT

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT