This time, BTO means Bachman Turns Orchestral

Guess who's joining the WSO this weekend?

Advertisement

Advertise with us

THE Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra is ready to trade in its Bach for Bachman.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 05/12/2014 (4276 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

THE Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra is ready to trade in its Bach for Bachman.

Arranged by acclaimed Canadian composer Charles Cozens, Randy Bachman’s Symphonic Overdrive — which opens tonight at the Centennial Concert Hall and runs through Sunday — will feature the WSO backing Bachman on 14 symphonic interpretations of some of his most enduring hits with the Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive, including You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet, Undun, These Eyes, American Woman and, of course, Takin’ Care of Business.

Bachman is eager to bring the show to his hometown after runs with Orchestra London and the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony earlier in the fall. He says performing with an orchestra was a welcome nudge out of his comfort zone.

Mike Deal / Winnipeg Free Press
Randy Bachman discusses his upcoming collaboration with the WSO, Randy Bachman's Symphonic Overdrive.
Mike Deal / Winnipeg Free Press Randy Bachman discusses his upcoming collaboration with the WSO, Randy Bachman's Symphonic Overdrive.

“It was a challenge,” Bachman says on the eve of his first rehearsal with the WSO, acknowledging that fronting a rock band isn’t quite the same as fronting an orchestra.

“When I’m playing with my band and I do something different, they follow me,” he says. “With the symphony, you can’t do that; they are tied lock, stock and barrel to what’s on the page. If a fly lands on the paper, they play it because it looks like a whole note.”

The rehearsals leading up to the Kitchener-Waterloo and London performances — and sometimes the concerts themselves — allowed Bachman and Cozens to fine-tune the set and figure out what worked (storytelling and banter) and what didn’t (a particularly ambitious cover).

“Some songs just crashed and burned,” Bachman says, with a laugh. “I had an idea to do Tomorrow Never Knows, which is one of my favourite Beatles songs. It’s not the normal Beatles happy pop song you can sing along with; it’s all backwards tapes and everything. I was trying to get the orchestra to recreate the tape on strings and it didn’t work. We did it twice and I said, ‘You know what? Let’s leave it out. And the band was like, ‘Thank God — we were wondering how to tell you.'”

Randy Bachman’s Symphonic Overdrive is part of the WSO’s Air Canada Pops series, which sees the orchestra lend its talents to a host of contemporary performers; the Tenors, Natalie MacMaster, the Barenaked Ladies, Sarah Slean and Lindi Ortega are just some of the artists with whom the orchestra has collaborated in memorable Pops performances.

For the orchestra, it’s a chance to do something different. “You get to let your hair down a little bit,” says second violinist Kristina Bauch. “With classical music, there’s a lot of ebb and flow and the conductor indicates when that will happen, so you’re really focused on that. With pops concerts, it’s very groove-based. Often you’re performing with a drummer. It’s a different vibe.”

“It’s great because everybody wins,” says principal clarinetist Micah Heilbrunn. “We get to play for an audience that might not ordinarily come to the symphony. The artists get to revisit their material in a new and refreshing way, and they get a lot of energy from that, I find. The audience as well — they get to hear something from their favourite artists in a fresher way. It’s a good time for everyone. We have just as much fun as the audience does. It’s not exactly what you train to do in music school when you’re young, but it’s great.”

It’s not hard to understand why everyone from Metallica to Kiss has cut a live album with a symphony (even Sir Mix-A-Lot recently performed Baby Got Back with the Seattle Symphony). Nothing elevates or cuts to the emotional heart of a song quite like the cinematic swell of a symphony orchestra.

For Bachman, it’s been an affecting experience.

“Halfway through the second verse of Prairie Town — which I wrote about Winnipeg — in come these strings and I get all verklempt onstage,” he says. “The orchestra brings emotion to the songs that we just can’t do with guitar, bass, drums and voices. It’s the icing on the cake.”

jen.zoratti@freepress.mb.ca

Jen Zoratti

Jen Zoratti
Columnist

Jen Zoratti is a columnist and feature writer working in the Arts & Life department, as well as the author of the weekly newsletter NEXT. A National Newspaper Award finalist for arts and entertainment writing, Jen is a graduate of the Creative Communications program at RRC Polytech and was a music writer before joining the Free Press in 2013. Read more about Jen.

Every piece of reporting Jen produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print – part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

 

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Commissioner Noni Classen has released a summary of the allegations brought to her attention and findings of investigations undertaken between January 2025 and March 2026.

A new disciplinary system, as well as an online registry where members of the public can look up the education level and standing of teachers and school clinicians, came into effect Jan. 6, 2025.

“These processes can be difficult and deeply personal for everyone involved, including students, families, teachers and school administrators,” Classen wrote in a 24-page report published this week.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

Transit driver, supervisor assaulted in separate incidents

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Transit driver, supervisor assaulted in separate incidents

Free Press staff 2 minute read Yesterday at 2:15 PM CDT

Two people are facing charges for allegedly assaulting Winnipeg Transit employees in separate incidents within a 10-hour span Tuesday.

A 51-year-old man is accused of randomly throwing a beer can at a driver while exiting a bus at Dunkirk Avenue and Kingston Row at about 6 a.m.

The man bit the driver, who was trying to restrain him, police said. He was charged with assault and held in custody.

At about 3:40 p.m., a 31-year-old woman who refused to pay bus fare at Main Street and Pioneer Avenue punched a supervisor in the face, police said.

Read
Yesterday at 2:15 PM CDT

Premier presses Bell Canada about ‘unacceptable’ 911 outages

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Preview

Premier presses Bell Canada about ‘unacceptable’ 911 outages

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Yesterday at 7:19 PM CDT

Premier Wab Kinew said the province is doing all it can to ensure that Manitobans aren’t hit with another 911 service outage — including asking the head of Bell Canada to help.

“At the end of the day, when you dial 911, we need to get emergency services to you as quickly as possible,” Kinew said.

On July 22, an hours-long outage prevented nearly 90 calls to 911 from being routed to the public safety answering point in Brandon. Backup systems that reroute 911 calls when an outage occurs also experienced “issues” after a third party cut the cable during construction near Winnipeg, Bell Canada said earlier.

At the time, Kinew called the 911 outage “unacceptable,” and told reporters that Prime Minister Mark Carney assured him he would raise the matter with telecom executives.

Read
Yesterday at 7:19 PM CDT