‘It’s been a tough ride’: Roughage Eatery to shutter

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Although a wrecking ball looms, Candice Tonelete had hoped to stay.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/05/2024 (822 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Although a wrecking ball looms, Candice Tonelete had hoped to stay.

Tonelete and wife Jessie Hodel started Roughage Eatery, a vegan restaurant, along Sherbrook Street in late 2019. She learned last year the Winnipeg building she rents — plus three other lots along the road — were set for demolition to make way for a new apartment block.

Tonelete is unsure when the destruction date may come. She’d planned to stick around until then, but a series of unfortunate events — continuous building breakdowns, rising food and labour costs, a drop in customers — have led to a shortened stay.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Jessie Hodel (left), and Candice Tonelete, co-owners of Roughage Eatery, will hold their last event May 30 to celebrate the city’s annual Pride festival.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS FILES

Jessie Hodel (left), and Candice Tonelete, co-owners of Roughage Eatery, will hold their last event May 30 to celebrate the city’s annual Pride festival.

Throw in a recent oven failure, sketchy stairs and washrooms needing repair … and May will be the restaurant’s last month on Sherbrook.

“It’s been a tough ride,” Tonelete said Tuesday. “We can’t take it anymore. It’s a lot of bad luck.”

Fate played a cruel trick roughly six months after Roughage Eatery opened: the COVID-19 pandemic rolled across the globe, bringing lockdowns and public distancing.

Since then, Roughage Eatery has made a name for itself as a vegan hot spot, selling cheeze (a spin on cheese) and seitan, sometimes called wheat meat.

Customer traffic rebounded as pandemic-era restrictions lifted, Tonelete recounted, but 2024 has been quiet. “Food is so expensive now, I don’t blame people for not going out,” she said.

Food and labour prices have jumped for the business, alongside others in the industry. Lettuce and oil alone have doubled in price, Tonelete stated.

Meanwhile, Roughage Eatery has faced several breakdowns and malfunctions within its facility.

The restaurant temporarily closed dine-in service last year when its furnace died. The air conditioning has gone, too, Tonelete relayed. Among the fixes and temporary closures, staff have been laid off.

Roughage will cap its time on Sherbrook with one last event May 30 to celebrate the city’s annual Pride festival. However, it won’t be the end, Tonelete said: Roughage Eatery plans to sell its cheezes and seitans in Manitoba shops and markets.

It is also in talks with local breweries to host pop-ups, she said.

“I think it’s important that people continue to support local,” Tonelete underscored. “It’s the small places that are really hurting.”

She’s open to moving back to West Broadway when the proposed apartment block opens; preliminary designs show a main floor of commercial space.

“I hate seeing businesses close,” said Mike Williams, operator of the nearby Korner Stop. “But in the whole scheme of things, to have 101 new people coming to the area, (you) can’t go wrong with that.”

Victor Martens, owner of Computech Camera Repair, across from Roughage Eatery, hopes to see the vegan enterprise take a space in the proposed apartment’s main floor business plan.

“Looking forward to having more restaurant spots,” he said, adding more housing and residential are good for business.

Meantime, Roughage Eatery customers shared their displeasure on social media; “a big loss” and “favourite restaurant” were repeat terms.

Paragon Design Build advertises the 126 Sherbrook St. apartment block to be built in 2026. Winnipeg city council approved the build in April.

The plans include 102 residential spaces and seven commercial ground-floor units.

gabrielle.piche@winnipegfreepress.com

Gabrielle Piché

Gabrielle Piché
Reporter

Gabrielle Piché reports on business for the Free Press. She interned at the Free Press and worked for its sister outlet, Canstar Community News, before entering the business beat in 2021. Read more about Gabrielle.

Every piece of reporting Gabrielle produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Carney asks provinces to return U.S. alcohol to stores

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Carney asks provinces to return U.S. alcohol to stores

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:41 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston says Prime Minister Mark Carney has asked provinces to restock American alcohol on their shelves as Canada finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. 

U.S. President Donald Trump announced Tuesday he would put a three-day pause on 50 per cent tariffs that would have hit an array of Canadian goods just after midnight Wednesday.

The two governments are now finalizing the language of the deal.

Carney, who briefed cabinet ministers and premiers about the draft plan Wednesday, said the deal it builds on Canada's existing trade advantages with the U.S.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:41 PM CDT

WSD official expects older students to get free youth Transit passes first in staggered rollout of pilot program

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

WSD official expects older students to get free youth Transit passes first in staggered rollout of pilot program

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read 6:37 PM CDT

A program allowing youths to ride Winnipeg Transit buses fare-free is on track to start next month, though some will wait longer than others to get their passes.

The provincially funded Free Youth Transit Pass Pilot program will provide no-cost rides to youths between the ages of 11 and 17 and high school students between the ages of 18 and 21.

On Thursday, Premier Wab Kinew revealed not all students will be eligible when school resumes next month, as passes will be available based on grade levels.

“It’s going to happen week by week, more and more students will be getting the bus passes. So, this is just at the request of the people who run Transit, so that they can accommodate this new program. As you go back to school, you’ll find out how the bus passes are going to be distributed,” said Kinew.

Read
6:37 PM CDT

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: 4:07 PM CDT

Some customers in downtown Winnipeg are experiencing a Bell MTS service interruption after telecommunications infrastructure was damaged Tuesday.

Bell MTS said on social media that a third-party construction crew accidentally cut a copper cable, causing the outage.

Contractors drilled through multiple underground ducts, causing significant damage to several cables and requiring extensive repairs.

A small number of buildings, mainly concentrated on Fort Street, Garry Street and York Avenue, may be experiencing landline or internet issues because of the damage, said Bell spokesperson Elise von Scheel.

Read
Updated: 4:07 PM CDT

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Preview

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read 5:48 PM CDT

Evan Nachtigall is trying not to get ahead of himself. But you’ll forgive the young Manitoba golfer for pondering the “what if” as he stands on the cusp of a career milestone.

Nachtigall, 25, sits alone on top of the Canadian Men’s Mid-Amateur championship through 54 holes. He is 17-under par and carries a two-shot lead into Friday’s final round at the Brantford Golf & Country Club in Ontario.

“It would be incredible, but there is a lot of golf left to go so I won’t be thinking too much about that until hopefully the final putt drops,” Nachtigall told reporters on scene Thursday.

The Brandon product is aiming to become the first Manitoban to win the national title since Todd Fanning did so in 2017, winning a playoff over Ontario’s Garrett Rank.

Read
5:48 PM CDT