In limbo: Leftover embryos challenge clinics, couples

Advertisement

Advertise with us

FORT MYERS, Fla. - Tens of thousands of embryos are stuck in limbo in fertility clinics, leftovers from pregnancy attempts and broken dreams of parenthood.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/01/2019 (2770 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

FORT MYERS, Fla. – Tens of thousands of embryos are stuck in limbo in fertility clinics, leftovers from pregnancy attempts and broken dreams of parenthood.

Some are outright abandoned by people who quit paying storage fees and can’t be found. In other cases, couples are struggling with tough decisions.

Jenny Sammis can’t bring herself to donate nearly a dozen of her extras to research. She and her husband agreed to do that when they made their embryos 15 years ago, but her feelings changed after using some of them to have children.

In this Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018 photo, Kimberly Malm removes a container with frozen embryos and sperm being stored in liquid nitrogen at a fertility clinic in Fort Myers, Fla. Tens of thousands of embryos remain frozen in fertility clinics around the United States, in limbo or abandoned by couples who can't agree or have walked away from deciding what to do with leftovers from pregnancy attempts. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)
In this Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018 photo, Kimberly Malm removes a container with frozen embryos and sperm being stored in liquid nitrogen at a fertility clinic in Fort Myers, Fla. Tens of thousands of embryos remain frozen in fertility clinics around the United States, in limbo or abandoned by couples who can't agree or have walked away from deciding what to do with leftovers from pregnancy attempts. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

“I have these two gorgeous, smart people who came from this process,” Sammis said. “These embryos are all like seeds that could become potential people. That reality to me was all abstract when they were in the freezer.”

Tank failures at two clinics in Ohio and California last year revealed hidden issues with long-frozen embryos, including some from the 1980s when IVF began. A few years ago, medical groups developed sample consent forms clinics could use for new patients, spelling out what could happen to unused embryos. But that hasn’t resolved what to do with ones made long ago.

“It’s a real dilemma for these clinics,” said Rich Vaughn, a Los Angeles lawyer who headed the American Bar Association’s assisted reproduction committee for many years. “We don’t quite know what to do with them and everyone’s afraid to act” for fear they’ll be sued if people surface decades later and want their embryos.

The number is growing as more couples try IVF and because of changes in how it’s done. The old way was to mix eggs and sperm in the lab and transfer multiple fresh embryos to a womb, hoping at least one would lead to pregnancy. Now, couples usually freeze many embryos, test for health problems and transfer the most viable one at a time to avoid multiple births. That often means leftovers once the desired family is complete.

How many embryos are in storage isn’t known — centres don’t have to report that. One study estimated there were 1.4 million in the U.S. Researchers think 5 to 7 per cent are abandoned, though it’s as high as 18 per cent at some clinics. Some define that as a year of no contact or storage payments after reasonable efforts to find the owners; others draw the line at five years. Some clinics search social media and hire investigators to find owners when abandonment is suspected.

“It has vexed our field” from the start, said Dr. Mark Sauer, a fertility specialist at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School who is on the ethics committee of the American Society of Reproductive Medicine.

It also has vexed couples, many of whom never expected so many leftovers. Sara Raber of New York’s Long Island had five extras after conceiving two children.

“Your goal in the beginning is just to get pregnant,” so making a lot of embryos seems necessary because you don’t know how many tries it will take, she said. But disposing of extras brings a finality to family building that’s different for IVF couples than it is for those who conceived naturally.

“You’re making a conscious decision not to have a baby anymore,” said her husband, Howard Raber. “That’s what makes it hard.”

Even after the Rabers agreed to donate theirs to research, which usually means to a fertility clinic to let staff practice IVF, the paperwork sat on her desk for months, Sarah Raber said.

In Arlington, Virginia, Sammis is having a similar struggle. “I get to the point of signing the papers and I just can’t deal with it,” she said.

Sammis said a friend who couldn’t decide what to do with her embryos moved away and “didn’t give the fertility centre her forwarding address … That was her way of dealing with it.”

When couples have abandoned embryos, “it was largely because they did not want to be responsible for making a very difficult decision. They would rather let the program do it,” Sauer said.

Andrea Braverman, a health psychologist at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, said it’s not an easy choice. A study of 131 couples in Canada found that one third had not returned for frozen embryos after five years. Another study found that up to 70 per cent of couples delayed a decision for at least five years and many changed their minds about what they thought they’d do after they had IVF.

“This is a fluid decision. It is not a one-and-done,” Braverman said.

Dr. Craig Sweet, who runs a fertility clinic in Fort Myers, Florida, knows the problem well. About 18 per cent, or 300, of his clinic’s frozen embryos are abandoned, some for 25 years. A study he did found that couples were more likely to abandon embryos if they had stored them a long time, had a low education level, already had many children or owed the clinic money.

One of his patients with more than a dozen leftover embryos forged her husband’s signature on forms giving permission to use them because she wanted more children and he did not. The plan fell apart when the clinic insisted on seeing him personally.

“Things happen. Life happens, divorce happens, depression, financial changes” — many things can lead a couple to disagree about using embryos, Sweet said.

In this Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018 photo, Dr. Craig Sweet poses for a photograph at his fertility clinic in Fort Myers, Fla. Seven years ago, Sweet began requiring patients to agree to a no-destroy policy for unused embryos, and started Embryo Donation International to provide embryos to couples willing to use them to have children.
In this Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018 photo, Dr. Craig Sweet poses for a photograph at his fertility clinic in Fort Myers, Fla. Seven years ago, Sweet began requiring patients to agree to a no-destroy policy for unused embryos, and started Embryo Donation International to provide embryos to couples willing to use them to have children. "Things happen. Life happens, divorce happens, depression, financial changes” _ many things can lead a couple to disagree about using leftover embryos, Sweet said. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

The courts view an embryo as something between person and property, said Susan Crockin, a reproductive law expert at Georgetown University. When it’s in the lab as opposed to being in a womb, “people have equal rights to it” and most courts will not allow one member of a couple to use an embryo over the other’s objection, she said.

The actress Sofia Vergara and her ex-fiancé Nick Loeb fought over frozen embryos they made, but a court said Vergara could not be forced to procreate against her wish and denied Loeb use of the embryos after the couple split.

States may try to rewrite legal precedents. Last April, Arizona’s governor signed legislation allowing one member of a divorced couple to use embryos created during a marriage even if the ex-spouse doesn’t want a child.

Clinics try to avoid being in the middle.

“What we tell couples is that if you’re divorced, nobody gets to transfer the embryos until we get something from a court” that says who has control of them, said Dr. Richard T. Scott Jr., scientific director of Reproductive Medicine Associates, one of the nation’s largest clinics with centres in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Florida.

In 2005, Sweet began requiring patients to agree not to destroy unused embryos. He also started Embryo Donation International to provide embryos to couples willing to use them to have children. He accepts embryos from 62 facilities in North America and has more than 400 available; 50 to 60 were used in 2017, he said.

“It just didn’t make sense to us that people were discarding perfectly normal, useful embryos,” he said.

His IVF co-ordinator, Rebecca Ruano, had 18 leftover embryos after the birth of her twins, and agreed to donate the extras to people unable to have children. “I was not willing to destroy or donate them to science. We worked too hard for them,” she said.

Frozen embryos remain viable for decades as far as anyone knows. Last year, the National Embryo Donation Center in Tennessee reported a birth using an embryo that had been frozen for 24 years.

Sweet supplied a Chicago woman an embryo that had been frozen for 17 years and made one request:

“When the baby is born,” he said, “I want you to see if you can register the kid to vote.”

___

Follow Marilynn Marchione: @MMarchioneAP

___

The Associated Press Health & Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Hometown hero hits CEBL championship clinching shot

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

Hometown hero hits CEBL championship clinching shot

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026

Chapter 1 of Winnipeg Sea Bears basketball was capped by hometown hero Chad Posthumus.

It was May 27, 2023, and the late, great centre out of River East Collegiate had a put-back basket off a Teddy Allen miss to give the Sea Bears a 90-85 victory over the Vancouver Bandits in Winnipeg’s inaugural game, in front of what was then a record crowd of 7,303.

So, on Saturday, it was rather poetic that Simon Hildebrandt — another Winnipegger and a player Posthumus used to mentor — was the one to put an exclamation mark on the franchise’s latest and greatest chapter.

Hildebrandt drilled a wide-open three in Target Score Time to crown the Sea Bears as the 2026 CEBL champions.

Read
Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:17 PM CDT

True North Sports and Entertainment was hit with a $12,000 fine for serving minors with fake IDs during a Winnipeg Jets White Out street party in 2025.

The company was fined by the Liquor, Gaming & Cannabis Authority of Manitoba on May 13, 2025 after liquor inspectors attended the May 9 street party and witnessed two two minors in possession of and consuming liquor. One was visibly intoxicated, according to a compliance order dated May 15, 2025.

Both minors had security-issued “18+” wristbands and were using identification that was expired and “clearly not their image.”

The compliance order, provided to the Free Press by the LGCA, said inspectors also noticed inadequate identification checking by security before issuing the wristbands, which identify the people wearing them as being of legal drinking age.

Read
Yesterday at 6:17 PM CDT

Letters, Aug. 18

7 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

In support of real engineering

Jerry Storie’s op-ed Take advantage of hydroelectric potential and Laura Cameron’s op-ed Lasting legacy or pining for a pipe dream, both in the Free Press Aug. 17, provide quite different perspectives on what should be done to provide reliable power to Manitoba residents in the future.

Mr. Storie advocates construction of more hydroelectric projects rather than new natural gas generated capacity to offset looming power shortages. He argues that these hydroelectric projects will benefit Manitoba for the next century, and observes there will be significant increases in the demand for electricity in upcoming years. He is not wrong in any of these observations. However, hydroelectric developments are very capital intensive and have long lead development periods. Natural gas generation can be brought on line far more quickly with less investment. And perhaps Mr. Storie’s minimization of the environmental impacts of these developments deserves more scrutiny. Any First Nations impacted by development deserve to be consulted and participate in any benefits. Having said this, Mr. Storie is a former minister responsible for Manitoba Hydro, and thus has a fairly deep understanding of the issues at hand.

Laura Cameron advocates against construction of the LNG pipeline and terminal at Churchill, citing “the technical challenges of building a pipeline over thawing permafrost; the prohibitive cost of ice-breaking tankers that move LNG through the Arctic; and a forecasted global oversupply of LNG and uncertain long-term export markets.” These would all be persuasive arguments if Ms Cameron possessed any credentials indicating an expertise in engineering or economics. She does not. The balance of Ms Cameron’s op-ed focuses on ways for Manitoba to reduce its carbon footprint while taking a few shots at the proposed LNG pipeline to B.C. Her opposition to the pipeline to Churchill is almost a Trojan horse.

Kinew pledges temporary ER in Dauphin by Labour Day

Free Press staff 2 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Dauphin’s 8,400 residents, ravaged by floodwaters from unprecedented rainfall in June that has left the city without its hospital for the entire summer, will have a temporary but functioning ER shortly, Premier Wab Kinew promised Monday.

“We’ve heard you loud and clear Dauphin,” Kinew said in a post on X on Monday. “You need these services close to home, you’ll have an emergency department working by Labour Day.”

Dauphin Mayor David Bosiak was elated after hearing the news. “We’re tickled in town,” Bosiak said, adding he has faith the premier will deliver.

Kinew is expected to provide further details Tuesday.

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Shelters overwhelmed as rising vet costs forcing some owners to surrender pets

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Preview

Shelters overwhelmed as rising vet costs forcing some owners to surrender pets

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

In the fall of 2022, Tara Miller was faced with a difficult decision: keep her car or sell it to pay for a second knee surgery for her dog.

Ultimately, she needed her car to commute during the winter and decided to manage her dog Corby’s arthritis with medication and home therapy.

“Mentally it probably broke me,” said the 54-year-old.

While insurance covered two-thirds of the dog’s initial $6,000 surgery, Miller had to pay the remaining $2,000. That was on top of the $500 checkup before the surgery and the monthly $175 pet insurance premium.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT