Hope and worry: finally in queue for lung transplant

Advertisement

Advertise with us

‘A race against time.”

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 04/02/2023 (1293 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

‘A race against time.”

That’s how Rick Schmidt feels now that he has officially been put on the list for a lung transplant through the Manitoba Lung Transplant Program.

“It’s now a race to see if my health can hold out long enough to get the transplant,” he said.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                Rick Schmidt is now in the second-last stage of his transplant journey as he waits for a donor lung to become available.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Rick Schmidt is now in the second-last stage of his transplant journey as he waits for a donor lung to become available.

Schmidt, 67, was diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) in 2018, a type of lung disease where scar tissue forms in the lungs and leads to difficulty breathing. Drugs can slow its progress, but there is no cure. The only hope is a transplant.

After a series of tests in June, last year, the retired mediator and conflict-resolution instructor was told he qualified for a transplant. But he wasn’t put on the list to get one — he was still too healthy, compared to others who needed the life-saving surgery.

“They said I was doing too well,” said Schmidt, recalling that conversation. “It was disappointing, but a bit of a backhanded compliment at the same time.”

Although not sick enough to get on the list, he was doing poorly enough to need supplemental oxygen for things like cutting the grass, vacuuming or a walk.

He had another series of lung function tests in November. “I did disappointingly well,” he said of again failing to be sick enough to make the list.

But by early December, his health began to rapidly decline. “I started to need oxygen all the time, not just for exertion,” he said.

After contacting the Manitoba lung-transplant team to explain his new situation, they agreed it was time. After waiting a few weeks to get some dental surgery done and a minor infection cleared up, on Jan. 17 he got the news he was on the list for a transplant.

While Part 1 of his waiting is over, “Now comes Part 2, this time waiting for a donor lung to become available,” Schmidt said, noting it could happen in six months, a year — or tomorrow.

It will be a challenge. “It feels like my life has shrunk to the size of a shoe box,” he said, adding, “I have a limited amount of energy for each day. Each morning I have to decide what one thing I can do that day.”

To keep him safe from getting a cold, infection or — worst-case scenario — COVID-19, Schmidt and his wife, Sara Jane, have established a rigid set of protocols to limit their interactions with the outside world.

“COVID is a real showstopper,” said Schmidt.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                After a rapid decline in his health, Rick Schmidt was added to the list for a lung transplant in December.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

After a rapid decline in his health, Rick Schmidt was added to the list for a lung transplant in December.

When the call comes, they will immediately head to the airport where an air ambulance will take them to Edmonton for the transplant surgery.

“We’ve got drivers all lined up and a list for the things we need to prepare and do,” Sara Jane said, adding they expect he will be in hospital there for three to four weeks.

Nancy Porhownik directs the Manitoba Lung Transplant Program. For her, working with people like Schmidt is a blessing — but also hard.

“We get to know these people really well,” she said, noting her job description includes offering emotional, psychological and spiritual support to patients as they await a call.

“We keep checking in on them, monitoring their health status, offering encouragement,” she said.

While feeling blessed to walk with patients, Porhownik also finds it hard because it can take so long for lungs to become available — patients worry they won’t be able to make it before the disease renders them too frail for the surgery.

“We try to keep them motivated and hopeful, but also realistic,” she said. “That’s a tight line to walk.”

One reason for the long wait time is the shortage of lungs for transplantation, partly because not enough Canadians sign up to be organ donors.

But lungs are also easily damaged in something like a car accident, owing to chest trauma. And there is also the matter of finding the right match for size and blood type for recipients.

For Porhownik, that means helping people like Schmidt, and the 12 other Manitobans currently on the lung transplant list, keep their spirits up while they wait.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                Rick Schmidt adjusts his oxygen machine at his home: ‘It feels like my life has shrunk to the size of a shoe box.’

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Rick Schmidt adjusts his oxygen machine at his home: ‘It feels like my life has shrunk to the size of a shoe box.’

“We keep checking in with them, telling them to keep moving, to keep themselves as healthy as they can,” she said. “We know they are looking to us for support and encouragement.”

As for Schmidt, he appreciates the support he gets from Porhownik and the entire lung-transplant team.

“I’m thankful for them, for friends and for the support we are receiving in what now feels like a very small life,” he said.

That includes the care and friendship the couple receives from their home faith community, River East Church.

“Many people have offered to help in any practical way they can or make themselves available for the kind of support we need,” he said. “We know that we can count on them. We are not alone. That makes our journey through this difficult, uncharted territory easier to bear.”

To become an organ donor, visit www.signupforlife.ca.

jdl562009@gmail.com

John Longhurst

John Longhurst
Faith columnist & reporter

John Longhurst has been writing for Winnipeg's faith pages since 2003. He also writes for Religion News Service in the U.S., and blogs about the media, marketing and communications at Making the News.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read Preview

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:31 PM CDT

Jackson Tachinski: future Olympian?

Those prospects got a lot brighter for the Winnipegger on Sunday when the Canadian men’s flag football team won bronze at the IFAF World Flag Football Championships in Germany.

Tachinski was a key cog throughout a run that ended with a thrilling 34-26 overtime victory over Mexico that secured Canada’s spot at the 2028 Los Angeles Games, where flag football will debut on the biggest stage in sports.

“It was awesome. We were in overtime, and we got the ball first, and we ended up scoring and getting a two-point convert. We knew the defence just had to make a few plays and get a stop and we’d (win). Just seeing the ball go up in the air and (Montreal’s Guillaume Béland) came down with the interception, it was an unreal feeling. Just straight euphoria,” Tachinski told the Free Press shortly after returning home.

Read
Yesterday at 5:31 PM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Everyone must play the long game

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

Everyone must play the long game

Editorial 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Today’s decision is just one small point on a continuum that will go on until Trump is no longer president or, as a nation, we manage to disentangle our economy from our nearest neighbour to the greatest extent possible.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Yesterday at 5:13 PM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Yesterday at 5:13 PM CDT