Despite pushback, Montreal forges ahead with strict new short-term rental rules

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MONTREAL - Montreal is forging ahead with new rules banning many short-term rentals for nine months a year, hoping to alleviate a housing crunch and strike a blow in a lengthy battle against unauthorized listings.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 02/06/2025 (444 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

MONTREAL – Montreal is forging ahead with new rules banning many short-term rentals for nine months a year, hoping to alleviate a housing crunch and strike a blow in a lengthy battle against unauthorized listings.

City council in March passed a new bylaw that will allow people to rent their principal residences for periods of 31 days or less only during peak tourist season, between June 10 and Sept. 10. They must also obtain a $300 permit from the city and meet previous requirements to register with the province. 

Full-time Airbnb units run by commercial enterprises are still allowed in parts of the city, but are restricted to a few streets and areas.

Fog hangs over the skyline of Montreal on Jan. 1, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes.
Fog hangs over the skyline of Montreal on Jan. 1, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes.

Despina Sourias, a city councillor in charge of housing, said previous rules were hard to enforce because they allowed some property owners to avoid getting fined by stating a rental property was their main residence.

The new rules, she said, will shift the burden of proof onto listing owners instead of inspectors.

“Before it was like, we have to go out and catch people, we’ve got to roam the streets,” she said in a phone interview. 

Banning short-term rentals in principal residences for nine months a year makes issuing fines much easier, Sourias said. “You don’t have your permit, you get a ticket,” she said. “If you’re doing it outside the time that you’re allowed to do it, you get a ticket.” 

The new rules are the next step in a progressive crackdown across the province that began after seven people died in a fire in an Old Montreal building in March 2023. Six of the victims had been staying in Airbnb rentals, which the mayor confirmed were not allowed in that part of the city.

After the fire, the provincial government tabled new legislation requiring platforms like Airbnb to only display ads that include a tourism licence number and expiry date. The city also hired a squad of inspectors to try to crack down.

Before the new bylaw, it was easier for people to rent their main residences for short periods, such as during a vacation.

That led some people to use different schemes to falsely declare a full-time rental as a principal residence, and forcing inspectors into lengthy investigations to prove otherwise, the city said.

Montreal’s mayor said in January that despite the provincial law, more than half of the 4,000 units on short-term rental platforms did not comply with the rules.

The new rules have received pushback from the province’s tourism department, as well as from platforms such as Airbnb, who claim that they will hurt the city’s economy and do little to improve housing affordability.

Alex Howell, Airbnb’s policy lead from Canada, called on the city to reverse what she called an “extreme and short-sighted” rule change.

“This poorly thought-out decision will drive up hotel prices and make travel more expensive for Quebecers – nearly 140,000 of whom stayed in an Airbnb in Montreal last year – and weakens Montreal’s ability to attract visitors for major events that fuel tourism throughout the year,” she said in a statement.

Saif Yousif, a property manager for Park Place Properties, believes the new rules are overly restrictive. Yousif manages about 80 short-term rentals in the Montreal and Mont-Tremblant areas, including many owned by clients want to rent their homes when they’re travelling.

Yousif feels the existing rules were already strict enough to prevent people from falsely claiming an investment property as a principal residence. The regulation, he said “makes it difficult for (homeowners) to take vacations or take some time off and leave the city” and is unlikely to result in units being returned to the long-term rental pool.

The best way to keep rental prices down would be to build more housing, he added.

Likewise, the province’s tourism department said the new rules would not put an end illegal rentals or the housing crisis.

“On the contrary, they could even worsen the situation by pushing more operators into illegality, returning Montreal to the Wild Web of before our reforms,” it said in a statement to The Canadian Press.

But David Wachsmuth, the Canada Research Chair in urban governance at McGill University, believes Montreal may succeed where other cities have failed at cracking down on illegal rentals. 

He said platforms leave it up to cities to track down rule-breakers, which forces municipal officials to “play detective” and figure out who’s actually a principal resident and who isn’t.

He said enforcement will be easier under these rules, because anyone running an Airbnb outside the designated full-time rental areas can be automatically fined outside the summer season.

“Anybody who’s running an Airbnb in March, if you’re not on one of those very small number of corridors where you’re allowed to do this (legally), it’s just guaranteed that you’re breaking the law,” he said. “So that’s just a really fundamental shift in how the overall process of being a short term rental host is going to interact with the laws here in Montreal.”

He said most Montrealers who want to rent their principal residence would likely be doing so mostly in the summer anyways. Therefore, the rules will only inconvenience legitimate homesharers while making it much harder for full-time unauthorized rentals to turn a profit. 

Wachsmuth also dismisses any claims that limiting short-term rentals won’t help alleviate housing pressures, saying the research shows “beyond any possible shred of a doubt” that communities that put short-term rental rules in place see their rents rise at a slower rate than those who don’t.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 2, 2025.

Note to readers:This is a corrected story. A previous version incorrectly summarized comments by David Wachsmuth on the impact of short-term rental rules on rent prices.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Preview

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

More doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before but health-care challenges remain, Premier Wab Kinew says.

The province has added 4,725 net new health-care workers to the provincial system since the NDP won the October 2023 election, Kinew told reporters Tuesday.

The government’s total includes 370 doctors, 1,464 nurses, 2,152 health-care aides and 607 allied health professionals, a group that includes physiotherapists, dietitians, paramedics, medical lab technologists and others.

Kinew said more doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read 5:13 PM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
5:13 PM CDT

Edmonton not the same old Elks as Bombers get ready for road clash

Taylor Allen 7 minute read Preview

Edmonton not the same old Elks as Bombers get ready for road clash

Taylor Allen 7 minute read 7:04 PM CDT

Edmonton’s CFL team has been a complete, utter mess for the majority of the past decade.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers took full advantage of their once-prominent West Division foe falling on hard times by shellacking them time and time again.

Let’s take a trip down memory lane, shall we?

The Blue and Gold defeated the Elks three times in a span of five weeks in 2021 — including a 30-3 beatdown on Chancellor Matheson Road on Oct. 8.

Read
7:04 PM CDT

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read 6:32 PM CDT

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
6:32 PM CDT

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT