Hotel occupancy down in Toronto during first weeks of World Cup

Advertisement

Advertise with us

TORONTO - An organization representing Toronto hotels says demand for accommodations in the city is down as more rooms stood empty during the first two weeks of the World Cup than in the same time last year.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

TORONTO – An organization representing Toronto hotels says demand for accommodations in the city is down as more rooms stood empty during the first two weeks of the World Cup than in the same time last year.

Sara Anghel, president of the Greater Toronto Hotel Association, says she’s optimistic the international soccer tournament will be a boon to the city’s hotel industry in the years to come, but with the World Cup underway, hotels haven’t been seeing immediate benefits. 

Anghel says 82 per cent of hotel rooms were occupied in the second week of June — when Toronto hosted Canada’s first match of the tournament — down from 83 per cent in the same period last year. 

A Canada fan sits alone in a section of the stands during second half group B World Cup soccer action, in Toronto, Friday, June 12, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sammy Kogan
A Canada fan sits alone in a section of the stands during second half group B World Cup soccer action, in Toronto, Friday, June 12, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sammy Kogan

There was a much more significant decline in the third week of June, when Anghel says the hotel occupancy rate dropped to 72 per cent, compared with 86 per cent last year. 

She says a number of factors have contributed to the decrease in bookings.

One of them, she says, is that Toronto’s World Cup stadium has the lowest capacity with only 45,000 seats, limiting the number of fans who can buy tickets. 

Anghel also pointed to FIFA’s decision this spring to release thousands of hotel bookings across North America, including Toronto, which suddenly brought rooms back onto the market. 

June is usually a busy month for Toronto’s hotels as the city plays host to corporate conventions and an influx of business travellers, Anghel said, but these visitors may be staying home or rescheduling conferences to avoid the World Cup crowds.

This may be the reason the hotel industry saw a strong May ahead of the tournament, with a 82 per cent occupancy rate that was up two percentage points from last year, Anghel said.

Hotels in some of the other host cities have also seen bookings fall below typical levels.

Ahead of the tournament, Destination Vancouver said room bookings in the city were down 20 per cent in June compared with the same time in 2025.

Nearly 80 per cent of hoteliers surveyed in Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Seattle by the American Hotel & Lodging Association said they were seeing bookings lag behind a typical summer. 

With the World Cup this year spread out across 16 host cities in Canada, the U.S. and Mexico, Anghel says Toronto hotels weren’t expecting a “massive boom” of bookings.

“I think that everyone (was) plugging along with the expectation that it was going to be OK, but not great,” she said.

“Still, the games are amazing for the city. It’s put us on this international stage. The city is alive and we’ve just been so excited to have FIFA here.”

Anghel said she hopes the international attention Toronto receives from the tournament will entice more travellers to visit in the near future, and “provide a few years of legacy advantages” for the city’s hotels. 

As for July and August to come, Anghel said it’s too soon to give a definitive forecast but she anticipates it will be a “good summer for Toronto hotels.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 26, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Kids need some sense of split parents’ situation

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: On our last day at a beach rental cabin the kids and I were packing up later than the rules asked for, when a familiar car pulled in next door. It was my ex-husband with his new woman and her kids.

My children yelled out, “Look Mom, it’s Daddy! He came to the lake to see us!” and ran over to him for hugs. His girlfriend had the cabin keys dangling, nodded at me, and went inside quickly.

I said to my former husband, “Fancy meeting you here! Come on kids, we’re going home now.” My ex said, “Oh, settle down. Give me a few minutes with my kids, will you?”

So, I finished packing and locked the cabin door, and waited for the kids for 30 minutes in our car. Then I started to cry. It just came gushing out and I couldn’t control it. Finally, my ex brought the children back out. He could see I’d been crying and said in disgust, “Get over it, princess. I have!”

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Yesterday at 9:17 PM CDT

Braxton Kuntz began the week not knowing if he’d even be able to play in the Manitoba Open.

The 22-year-old Winnipegger will head to Elmhurst early Friday morning just one shot off the lead — hanging tough with the heavyweights from PGA Tour Americas — after firing a fantastic five-under 65 Thursday afternoon.

“Playing in front of friends, family, a nice gallery watching out there…to start out like that, I’m putting myself in contention,” said Kuntz.

He didn’t realize just how close he was until the Free Press informed him that only Kentucky’s Drew Doyle, who has already won on tour earlier this season, had posted a better score among the 156-player field. Doyle shot a six-under 64.

Read
Yesterday at 9:17 PM CDT

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Preview

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:48 PM CDT

Evan Nachtigall is trying not to get ahead of himself. But you’ll forgive the young Manitoba golfer for pondering the “what if” as he stands on the cusp of a career milestone.

Nachtigall, 25, sits alone on top of the Canadian Men’s Mid-Amateur championship through 54 holes. He is 17-under par and carries a two-shot lead into Friday’s final round at the Brantford Golf & Country Club in Ontario.

“It would be incredible, but there is a lot of golf left to go so I won’t be thinking too much about that until hopefully the final putt drops,” Nachtigall told reporters on scene Thursday.

The Brandon product is aiming to become the first Manitoban to win the national title since Todd Fanning did so in 2017, winning a playoff over Ontario’s Garrett Rank.

Read
Yesterday at 5:48 PM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 7 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 7 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026