Canadians increasingly worried over boomers’ health bills, survey finds

Advertisement

Advertise with us

CHARLOTTETOWN - Canadians are increasingly concerned about how to pay for the care of aging baby boomers — and fearful that seniors will have to pay out of their own pockets, according to a survey commissioned by the Canadian Medical Association.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/05/2019 (2647 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

CHARLOTTETOWN – Canadians are increasingly concerned about how to pay for the care of aging baby boomers — and fearful that seniors will have to pay out of their own pockets, according to a survey commissioned by the Canadian Medical Association.

The doctors’ group presented its findings Tuesday evening and Wednesday to a gathering of federal, provincial and territorial ministers responsible for seniors gathered in Prince Edward Island.

Dr. Gigi Osler, president of the association, said the fears of deepening costs are becoming reality for hundreds of thousands of Canadians. She noted a Conference Board of Canada study found caregivers and care receivers had to spend more than $9 billion out-of-pocket last year.

Dr. Gigi Osler, President-Elect of the Canadian Medical Association, speaks with a colleague at the hotel where a Liberal caucus retreat is being held, in Kelowna, B.C., on Wednesday September 6, 2017. A survey commissioned by the Canadian Medical Association is indicating that there's growing worry among citizens over how to pay for the care of aging baby boomers. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Dr. Gigi Osler, President-Elect of the Canadian Medical Association, speaks with a colleague at the hotel where a Liberal caucus retreat is being held, in Kelowna, B.C., on Wednesday September 6, 2017. A survey commissioned by the Canadian Medical Association is indicating that there's growing worry among citizens over how to pay for the care of aging baby boomers. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

“What we’re seeing today reflects the limitations of seniors’ care and we can, and must, do better,” she said.

The poll of 3,352 people conducted by Ipsos suggests citizens are pessimistic about the existing system’s ability to deal with a population that is aging.

Six out of 10 of those surveyed said they agree with the statement that “many will be delaying their retirement date to afford health care.”

Canadians aged between 45 and 54 were most likely to agree, with the concern most pronounced in Atlantic Canada — which has the oldest population in the country — where 65 per cent agreed.

The poll conducted between Feb. 25 and March 4 is described as accurate within 1.9 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Osler said she told the seniors’ ministers the health system is based on the demographics of decades ago, when the population was much younger, and needs a significant reworking.

“What we need is more care delivered in the community, to seniors in their homes and long-term care. It’s time to look at where we’re spending our money and are we spending it where we need to spend it,” she said in an interview.

The doctors group is advocating for new federal investments in seniors care through the Canada Health Transfer, with a “demographic top-up” of $21 billion over 10 years — divided among the provinces and territories based on the percentage of seniors in their population.

In addition, it is suggesting the creation of an income-based, seniors’ care tax credit to provide direct financial support to seniors and their caregivers.

“You don’t want to get into a situation where it’s just Band-Aid over Band-Aid over Band-Aid,” said Osler.

“We think it’s time to really show some dedication and commitment to meaningful changes in the health care system to look after our seniors now and protect our system in the future.”

— By Michael Tutton in Halifax.

— Follow (at)mtuttoncporg on Twitter.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Transit driver, supervisor assaulted in separate incidents

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Transit driver, supervisor assaulted in separate incidents

Free Press staff 2 minute read Yesterday at 2:15 PM CDT

Two people are facing charges for allegedly assaulting Winnipeg Transit employees in separate incidents within a 10-hour span Tuesday.

A 51-year-old man is accused of randomly throwing a beer can at a driver while exiting a bus at Dunkirk Avenue and Kingston Row at about 6 a.m.

The man bit the driver, who was trying to restrain him, police said. He was charged with assault and held in custody.

At about 3:40 p.m., a 31-year-old woman who refused to pay bus fare at Main Street and Pioneer Avenue punched a supervisor in the face, police said.

Read
Yesterday at 2:15 PM CDT

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Yesterday at 5:13 PM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Yesterday at 5:13 PM CDT

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Commissioner Noni Classen has released a summary of the allegations brought to her attention and findings of investigations undertaken between January 2025 and March 2026.

A new disciplinary system, as well as an online registry where members of the public can look up the education level and standing of teachers and school clinicians, came into effect Jan. 6, 2025.

“These processes can be difficult and deeply personal for everyone involved, including students, families, teachers and school administrators,” Classen wrote in a 24-page report published this week.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT