Anglicans, Mennonites enter into dialogue

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Question: What’s the fastest-growing Mennonite church in Winnipeg?

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/04/2016 (3777 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Question: What’s the fastest-growing Mennonite church in Winnipeg?

Answer: Saint Margaret’s Anglican Church on Ethelbert Street.

That old joke came back to me last week when I learned the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada and Mennonite Church Canada will be voting this summer to enter into a five-year bilateral dialogue.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
St. Margaret's Anglican Church
RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS St. Margaret's Anglican Church

If passed, it would be the first time the Anglican Church of Canada has engaged in a bilateral dialogue with a denomination from the Anabaptist tradition.

In an interview with the Anglican Journal, Archdeacon Bruce Myers, formerly the Anglican Church of Canada’s co-ordinator for ecumenical and interfaith relations, specifically references Winnipeg as an inspiration for the dialogue.

“There are all sorts of people who happily migrate” between Saint Margaret’s and Saint Benedict’s Table, another Anglican congregation in the city, he says, adding this “creates all sorts of interesting questions for ecumenism.”

Through the dialogue, the two church groups could learn a lot of from each other, Myers says.

“The Anglican Church of Canada, is increasingly… becoming a church on the margins, a church away from the centres of power, when historically we were a church of empire, establishment and privilege,” he says, noting Mennonites have made “a conscious decision to be very separate from the principalities and powers and to take a stance that is often in opposition to empire.”

I’m not sure Mennonites are as separate or as opposed to empire as they might like to be, so Anglicans might be disappointed on that score, but it is true a growing number of Mennonites and others from non-liturgical churches are being attracted to the liturgical style of worship of Anglican churches.

Harold Dick is one of them. The Winnipeg lawyer grew up in a Mennonite Brethren church in rural Alberta and has been going to the Sunday service at Saint Margaret’s since 1981.

“It’s the liturgy. It’s the sense of mystery, the idea that God is not something we are expected to fully understand,” he explains.

He also likes the idea that “the service isn’t about you, but about God… It’s about celebrating what God has done, not just about what you need to do to make your life better.”

And he appreciates the connection to a long-standing tradition.

“People have been worshipping this way for a long time. It’s something that has gone on for a long time before me and will continue whether I am a part of it or not,” he says.

“I feel that my attention has shifted from my own life to this thing that is beyond me.”

Thomas Reimer, the parish administrator at Saint Margaret’s, and Bonnie Dowling, a priest/curate at the church, also grew up in Mennonite churches in southern Manitoba before becoming Anglicans.

Reimer was also attracted by the liturgy, the sense that “something bigger than myself is going on, a tradition that stretches back hundreds of years.” Dowling agrees, adding she also likes how “the services are deeply rooted in scripture.”

I asked: how has the presence of so many former Mennonites impacted Saint Margaret’s?

The church was already predisposed toward asking difficult questions, but the presence of so many Mennonites “has heightened the social conscience of the church,” Reimer says.

Dowling says it has led to more “robust” discussions about issues, such as just war and pacifism.

Andrew Dyck, associate professor of ministry studies at Canadian Mennonite University, understands why some Mennonites are attracted to Anglicanism.

“Mennonites place a high value on scripture, so how it is read so much in Anglican churches would be appealing,” he says.

As for the liturgy, it “provides a richness around the mystery of God, something that is neglected in Mennonite and evangelical worship,” he adds.

In Anglican worship, people can find a combination of “piety, intellect and mystery” that can be appealing, along with the liturgical patterns such as standing, singing, speaking and kneeling, Dyck says.

Whether or not the formal dialogue goes ahead this summer, Mennonites and Anglicans in Winnipeg may already be developing a new form of dialogue and worship that could be a model for the country.

jdl562000@yahoo.com

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

John Longhurst

John Longhurst
Faith columnist & reporter

John Longhurst has been writing for Winnipeg's faith pages since 2003. He also writes for Religion News Service in the U.S., and blogs about the media, marketing and communications at Making the News.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

Everyone must play the long game

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

Everyone must play the long game

Editorial 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Today’s decision is just one small point on a continuum that will go on until Trump is no longer president or, as a nation, we manage to disentangle our economy from our nearest neighbour to the greatest extent possible.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

News briefs for Wednesday, August 19, 2026

3 minute read Updated: 11:37 AM CDT

A collection of breaking news briefs filed on Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Part of Logan Avenue to close for repairs

11:33 AM

Part of Logan Avenue is about to shut down for more than a month.

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

Rookie defensive lineman’s history hits just as hard

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

Rookie defensive lineman’s history hits just as hard

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:09 PM CDT

Michael Fletcher hasn’t exactly been able to ease into things since bringing his talents up north.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers threw the rookie defensive lineman to the wolves in training camp, which led to him being released for a few days because of an injury before being signed to the practice roster.

“He’s willing to do whatever and he proved that during camp. We wore his ass out. He took so many reps in camp because we kept losing guys, losing guys, losing guys, and we just kept giving him more reps because we had to, to get practice in,” said head coach Mike O’Shea after Tuesday’s practice.

The Bombers (5-4) are in Edmonton on Friday to challenge the Elks (7-3).

Read
Yesterday at 6:09 PM CDT

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:29 PM CDT

A city-run fitness centre that suddenly closed for repairs last October lacks a set date to reopen, while an investigation on how best to fix it is underway.

Read
Yesterday at 5:29 PM CDT