Faithful tweeter

Communications prof using social media to disseminate the catechism

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Deep into revisions on a book about the public image of Irish rock band U2, media studies professor Nicholas Greco decided to work with a few more — and fewer — characters as well.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 01/09/2018 (2911 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Deep into revisions on a book about the public image of Irish rock band U2, media studies professor Nicholas Greco decided to work with a few more — and fewer — characters as well.

Since mid-July, Greco has been posting an unofficial, condensed version of the catechism of the Catholic Church on Twitter and a corresponding Facebook page.

“I’m hoping I will be authentic with what I’m doing,” says the St. Pierre resident, now gearing up for his 11th year of teaching media and communications at Providence University College in Otterburne.

ANDREW RYAN / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Media studies professor Nicholas Greco, seen in a chapel at Providence University College in Otterburne, has committed himself to condensing and tweeting out three articles of the Catholic cathecism daily.
ANDREW RYAN / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Media studies professor Nicholas Greco, seen in a chapel at Providence University College in Otterburne, has committed himself to condensing and tweeting out three articles of the Catholic cathecism daily.

“I’m trying to make (the catechism) accessible to people who don’t have that kind of time.”

Greco refers to the 1994 print edition of the catechism, which runs to 581 pages, with a lengthy prologue and four chapters, each divided into articles and then subdivided into paragraphs.

The entire catechism has 2,865 paragraphs and Greco plans to tweet out a shortened version of each one.

An electronic version on the Vatican website contains recent updates, including the revision to paragraph 2,276 regarding capital punishment. On Aug. 2, that paragraph was amended to declare the death penalty inappropriate in every circumstance.

So far, Greco’s tweets mostly fall within the original Twitter limitation of 140 characters, including spaces and punctuation, translating into a couple of sentences. The social media platform increased the maximum space to 280 characters last year, but Greco hopes to keep his tweets shorter.

“It forces you to think about what you’re saying, to try to be as accurate as you can and concise as you can,” Greco says about this theological social media writing project, which he fits into small pockets between writing and teaching duties.

Now at about 100 tweets, Greco realizes the exercise — and even discipline — of tweeting out three bite-sized chunks of the catechism daily could take about 2½ years.

“As a Christian, as a Christian university professor, as a media studies professor, part of this is a social media experiment,” says Greco, 44, who intends to turn the project into a book if he continues to the end of the 2,865 paragraphs.

His upcoming book on U2, titled The Rosary and the Microphone: Religious Impulse in U2’s Mediated Brand, examines the human rights and poverty-reduction work of the band.

Greco’s social media experiments follow the popular format of The Twible, a collection of funny and ironic tweets about every chapter of the Bible by American religion writer Jana Riess.

Originally posted on Riess’s Twitter account and Facebook page over three years beginning in 2009, all 1,189 tweets were published in a book she describes as a humorous commentary on the Christian sacred scripture.

“I’m not trying to reproduce the Bible — I’m trying to make it funny and accessible and a little unexpected,” she says about the project in a 2010 article on patheos.com.

Greco says he’s not trying to be funny, but to be more intentional about a religious tradition he recently took on as his own. Raised Pentecostal and married to a Roman Catholic, he joined the Catholic Church in 2016 after years of attending services in both traditions.

In the process, he studied a small part of the catechism and became intrigued to discover how involved it is, explaining in detail the creeds, sacraments and Christian theology developed by church leaders over the centuries.

As a compendium of Catholic teaching and beliefs, the catechism is more reference book than textbook, says Rev. Darrin Gurr of St. Gianna Beretta Molla Roman Catholic Church in southwest Winnipeg, which Greco attends.

“The catechism is a guiding document to help us ensure there’s a place where what we believe is clearly articulated,” Gurr says.

Just two months into the project, Greco only has a modest group of followers, but he plans to continue whether or not he gains a larger audience.

“Twitter is a big place if you want people to find you… and it moves so quickly,” he says of what he’s learned about the social media platform.

And he’s learned even more about Catholic theology, and about the tradition he recently took on for himself.

“You’re trying to distil it because you’re thinking about every single thing you’re reading and the basis of your faith.”

brenda@suderman.com

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

Brenda Suderman

Brenda Suderman
Faith reporter

Brenda Suderman has been a columnist in the Saturday paper since 2000, first writing about family entertainment, and about faith and religion since 2006.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:07 PM CDT

Some customers in downtown Winnipeg are experiencing a Bell MTS service interruption after telecommunications infrastructure was damaged Tuesday.

Bell MTS said on social media that a third-party construction crew accidentally cut a copper cable, causing the outage.

Contractors drilled through multiple underground ducts, causing significant damage to several cables and requiring extensive repairs.

A small number of buildings, mainly concentrated on Fort Street, Garry Street and York Avenue, may be experiencing landline or internet issues because of the damage, said Bell spokesperson Elise von Scheel.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:07 PM CDT

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
12:25 PM CDT

Climate change, capable ships could extend Churchill shipping season by months, studies show

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Preview

Climate change, capable ships could extend Churchill shipping season by months, studies show

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Updated: 5:14 PM CDT

Climate change and ice-strengthened ships — but not the most expensive icebreakers — could enable a much longer shipping season through the Port of Churchill, new studies released Friday suggest.

However, the studies flagged concerns including unpredictable sea ice conditions and tricky navigation to the northern Manitoba port.

The provincial government shared results of studies from the University of Manitoba, Arctic Research Foundation and Fednav, Canada’s largest international dry bulk shipping company.

“Churchill could be a year-round port right now, with current technology and using icebreakers and ships that are a lot cheaper, a lot more affordable than we previously thought,” Premier Wab Kinew said.

Read
Updated: 5:14 PM CDT

Elders bless, open city’s first urban all-season sweat lodge

Nicole Buffie 3 minute read Preview

Elders bless, open city’s first urban all-season sweat lodge

Nicole Buffie 3 minute read 4:20 PM CDT

Indigenous Winnipeggers now have access to sweat lodge ceremonies all year long.

On Friday Ka Ni Kanichihk unveiled Winnipeg’s first urban, all-seasons sweat lodge. The organization will hold ceremonies throughout the year, giving people who live in the city equitable access to the sacred ritual.

“We’re now going to be able to offer ceremony for relatives that can’t access a sweat ceremony outside the city because of financial restraint or that kind of thing,” said Wally Chartrand, a cultural advisor for Ka Ni Kanichihk.

The sweat lodge itself is enclosed in a cedar-panelled building equipped with washrooms and benches. Outside the building is a fire pit enclosed with a seating area and plants which are used as traditional Indigenous medicine during the ceremonies.

Read
4:20 PM CDT

Province fogging in West St. Paul due to high counts of West Nile-carrying mosquitoes

Free Press staff 3 minute read Preview

Province fogging in West St. Paul due to high counts of West Nile-carrying mosquitoes

Free Press staff 3 minute read 12:37 PM CDT

Manitoba Health will conduct a third round of fogging in the RM of West St. Paul due to high counts of a West Nile virus-carrying mosquito and a high infection rate in the area.

The province said spraying of the DeltaGard 20EW insecticide is scheduled to happen this weekend, as long as weather conditions are suitable, to reduce the risk of human exposure, which remains high.

The RM of West St. Paul will notify residents when the date is confirmed. The date will be published on the Manitoba Health’s website.

Manitoba has reported one confirmed and three probable human cases of West Nile virus in 2026. The confirmed case was in Prairie Mountain Health region in western Manitoba. Two probable cases were in Interlake-Eastern and one was in Southern Health.

Read
12:37 PM CDT