‘Great expectations’ for meeting with Pope

Indigenous leaders to be in Rome next month

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Phil Fontaine's trip to Rome to meet Pope Francis next month will be in stark contrast to his first visit to the Vatican in 2009, when he was national chief of the Assembly of First Nations.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 25/11/2021 (1727 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Phil Fontaine’s trip to Rome to meet Pope Francis next month will be in stark contrast to his first visit to the Vatican in 2009, when he was national chief of the Assembly of First Nations.

“We were unsuccessful in securing an apology” from Pope Benedict XVI, said Fontaine, although he noted the Pope did express “deep regret.”

The circumstances of the Dec. 14 to 21 visit “are so different,” said Fontaine, a member of the Sagkeeng First Nation in Manitoba.

Pope Francis arrives in the Paul VI Hall for his weekly general audience at the Vatican, Wednesday, Nov. 24. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)
Pope Francis arrives in the Paul VI Hall for his weekly general audience at the Vatican, Wednesday, Nov. 24. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)

In 2009, there had been no Truth and Reconciliation Commission report, nor had the unmarked graves of children who died at residential schools been discovered.

Now, he said, “we already know the Pope is committed to visiting Canada,” adding he hopes “the Holy Father will issue an apology” when he is here.

Fontaine spoke at a news conference hosted by the Assembly of First Nations Thursday. He has been named Manitoba’s delegate, and co-lead, for the Dec. 20 visit by First Nations leaders with the Pope.

Thirteen First Nations members from across Canada will make the trip, which is being organized and paid for by the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops. In addition, delegates from the Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami and the Métis National Council will attend. Each group will have one hour with the Pope.

Fontaine noted it has been a long journey for him and other Indigenous people.

“We are going to Rome with great expectations,” he said, noting he hopes the Pope will agree to issue an apology on Indigenous territory in Canada.

While an apology is important, Fontaine added the delegation is also focused on reparations, access to residential school records, continued searching for unmarked graves and practical efforts at reconciliation with Catholics in Canada.

“There are a number of issues,” on the table, he said, noting they can’t all be covered in the short time the delegation will meet with the Pope.

Norman Yakeleya, a regional chief from the Northwest Territories, who will be the delegation lead, said the visit “has been a long time in coming.”

It will provide “a measure of dignity and respect” to survivors and their descendants, he said, adding an apology is “absolutely required to advance reconciliation and healing.”

It is also important that such an apology take place “on our lands,” he said.

Although no locations for the papal visit have been announced, it was suggested the former residential school in Kamloops, B.C., where the first unmarked graves were found, might be an ideal place for him to visit.

“We are ground zero,” said Kúkpi7 Chief Rosanne Casimir of the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc First Nation and the B.C. representative on the delegation. “It would be extra significant for him (the Pope) to visit this area.”

No date has been set for the papal visit, although it was speculated that Sept. 30, 2022, the second National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, would be appropriate.

Rosalie LaBillois of Eel River Bar First Nation in New Brunswick, a young person and inter-generational survivor, said the visit is especially meaningful since she will get to “do what my grandfather never got to do — speak his truth.”

To the best of her ability, LaBillois wants to “represent the youth perspective,” to the Pope, and come home with a message that Indigenous youth can be “proud of where we come from… we have a voice.”

faith@freepress.mb.ca

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

John Longhurst

John Longhurst
Faith columnist & reporter

John Longhurst has been writing for Winnipeg's faith pages since 2003. He also writes for Religion News Service in the U.S., and blogs about the media, marketing and communications at Making the News.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Brush up on your Winnipeg knowledge with this summertime quiz

0 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:50 PM CDT

How well do you know your city? Put your knowledge to the test with our 10-question quiz.

Officer who shot dog dead after it bit him won’t face charges

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

Officer who shot dog dead after it bit him won’t face charges

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 1:06 PM CDT

A Manitoba First Nations police officer will not face charges for fatally shooting a dog last year, despite the Crown describing the officer’s conduct as “concerning.”

The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba announced it would not recommend charges Monday, more than a year after the incident was reported to the police watchdog.

A Manitoba First Nations Police Service officer went to a home in Swan Lake First Nation to make an arrest in June 2025, the IIU said. No arrest was made as the person police were looking for was not there. As the officer was leaving, a dog chained outside bit him.

The officer later returned with a carbine rifle and shot and killed the dog.

Read
Yesterday at 1:06 PM CDT

Kinew pledges temporary ER in Dauphin by Labour Day

Free Press staff 2 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Dauphin’s 8,400 residents, ravaged by floodwaters from unprecedented rainfall in June that has left the city without its hospital for the entire summer, will have a temporary but functioning ER shortly, Premier Wab Kinew promised Monday.

“We’ve heard you loud and clear Dauphin,” Kinew said in a post on X on Monday. “You need these services close to home, you’ll have an emergency department working by Labour Day.”

Dauphin Mayor David Bosiak was elated after hearing the news. “We’re tickled in town,” Bosiak said, adding he has faith the premier will deliver.

Kinew is expected to provide further details Tuesday.

Shelters overwhelmed as rising vet costs forcing some owners to surrender pets

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Preview

Shelters overwhelmed as rising vet costs forcing some owners to surrender pets

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

In the fall of 2022, Tara Miller was faced with a difficult decision: keep her car or sell it to pay for a second knee surgery for her dog.

Ultimately, she needed her car to commute during the winter and decided to manage her dog Corby’s arthritis with medication and home therapy.

“Mentally it probably broke me,” said the 54-year-old.

While insurance covered two-thirds of the dog’s initial $6,000 surgery, Miller had to pay the remaining $2,000. That was on top of the $500 checkup before the surgery and the monthly $175 pet insurance premium.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Preview

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

Hayden Panettiere, a onetime child star who soared to fame in the TV shows “Heroes” and “Nashville” while enduring struggles with alcohol addiction and depression, has died. She was 36.

Police said Panettiere was found unresponsive in an apartment in Greenville, South Carolina, shortly before 2 p.m. Sunday. Lifesaving measures were performed but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

No cause of death has been determined and Panettiere's death remains under investigation. An autopsy found no signs of trauma and police said officers saw no signs of foul play.

The television and film performer, who would have turned 37 on Friday, had been open about her private battles and wrote at length about them in the memoir, “This Is Me,” which came out in May. She described lifelong scars from her early fame, and acknowledged being addicted to alcohol and enduring postpartum depression after the birth of her daughter, Kaya, with Ukrainian boxer Wladimir Klitschko in 2014.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT