‘We are aching to hug each other’

Community prayers return as Ramadan begins

Advertisement

Advertise with us

After two years of restrictions and closures, Winnipeg’s largest mosques plan to be open for community prayers during Ramadan.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 01/01/2022 (1691 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

After two years of restrictions and closures, Winnipeg’s largest mosques plan to be open for community prayers during Ramadan.

“I think this first year is a test to find where people are comfortable in getting together,” said Tasneem Vali, vice-president of the Manitoba Islamic Association, which runs Winnipeg Grand Mosque and Pioneer Mosque.

During the 30 days of Ramadan, which begins at sundown tonight and runs until May 2, adult Muslims fast from food or drink during daylight hours, pray five times a day, read and recite the Qur’an and donate to charity. Families and friends often meet at sundown to break the fast together.

For the first time in two years, Tasneem Vali and her family will be able to come together with the Muslim community for community prayers during Ramadan. (Mike Sudoma / Winnipeg Free Press)
For the first time in two years, Tasneem Vali and her family will be able to come together with the Muslim community for community prayers during Ramadan. (Mike Sudoma / Winnipeg Free Press)

People who attend evening congregational prayers are asked to wear masks even though mask mandates in public spaces were dropped in mid-March, says Vali.

She says neither of the association’s mosques will hold large community meals to break the fast, called iftars, although families can rent the Grand Mosque gym for their own celebrations.

“The congregational prayer is an obligation, so we’re doing it,” Vali said.

“The iftar where we have 500 people for a meal is not an obligation, so we’re not doing it.”

Instead, people can pick up take-out meals at 7 p.m. at drive-thru sites sponsored by the association, says Vali.

Last year, a surging caseload of COVID-19 closed mosques and other religious institutions mid-way through Ramadan, pushing Muslims to virtual platforms to pray together. In 2020, mosques were closed during all of Ramadan.

With no restrictions this year, Winnipegger Merdia Imame plans to attend evening prayers at the mosque this weekend and host a meal for the 30 members of her extended family.

“We are aching to hug each other,” the mortgage broker said in anticipation of meeting family and friends this weekend.

“I hug everyone. I’m known for hugging.”

No mosque plans to enforce social distancing recommendations, but leaders also say they don’t expect to be at full capacity because some people are more cautious about attending public events or have health concerns that may keep them away from large crowds.

“The numbers are down and the people who are here are keen to put (the pandemic) in the past,” said Idris Knapp, executive director of Winnipeg Central Mosque.

“Some people are still wanting to keep masks. Some want to have big iftars.”

The Islamic association will continue with its virtual mosque, providing both in-person and online events so people can participate at their own comfort level, said Vali.

“We’re doing a mixture of both so people are not cut off if they are not confident attending in person,” said Vali.

“We will broadcast everything virtually like we used to.”

This year will likely see the return of the large Eid al-Fitr celebration at RBC Convention Centre as well. Eid is the celebration that marks the end of the month of fasting for Muslims.

Vali said the downtown facility is booked for May 2 and planners may hold two sets of congregational prayers instead of one to keep the crowd to a more manageable size.

About 10,000 Muslims attended Eid celebrations at the convention centre in 2019, the last year it was held.

“People are looking forward to that sense of community and meeting each other,” said Vali.

However the next month unfolds, Knapp says the past two pandemic years underscored the essence of Ramadan for him, even if the community couldn’t gather in their usual way.

“I think there was a chance for us to reflect inside because Ramadan was toned down,” he said.

“It was an inner fast, in your head space and in your heart. It gave you a lot of time to reflect about things.”

brenda@suderman.com

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

Brenda Suderman

Brenda Suderman
Faith reporter

Brenda Suderman has been a columnist in the Saturday paper since 2000, first writing about family entertainment, and about faith and religion since 2006.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read 5:51 PM CDT

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
5:51 PM CDT

Manitoba man lied about abduction: N.D. police

Scott Billeck 2 minute read Yesterday at 3:17 PM CDT

U.S. authorities say a Manitoba man falsely claimed he had been kidnapped and taken across the Canada-U.S. border over the weekend.

Roderick Garson, 37, is being held in a county jail near Alexandria, Minn., after he was arrested and charged with falsely reporting a crime.

The arrest stems from a report police received Saturday that a man had been abducted with a weapon in Manitoba and taken across the border into the United States.

The investigation led U.S. authorities to Alexandria, about two hours northwest of Minneapolis, where police located the reported victim and suspect after the latter ran into a local store claiming he had escaped from his 31-year-old unnamed captor.

Take advantage of hydroelectric potential

Jerry Storie 5 minute read Preview

Take advantage of hydroelectric potential

Jerry Storie 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Manitoba Hydro tells us that we are going to need significant new electricity generation over the coming decades.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read 5:29 PM CDT

A city-run fitness centre that suddenly closed for repairs last October lacks a set date to reopen, while an investigation on how best to fix it is underway.

Peguis Trail Health and Fitness Centre in North Kildonan was first expected to welcome visitors back within a few weeks when it shut down due to plumbing problems on Oct. 28.

But in February, the city’s website noted a much later reopening date of Oct. 2 after mould was discovered when crews attempted to upgrade the floors.

The city has since hired a consultant to assess the site’s condition, determine what repairs must be done and estimate how much the work would cost, including mould abatement.

Read
5:29 PM CDT

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Rookie defensive lineman’s history hits just as hard

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

Rookie defensive lineman’s history hits just as hard

Taylor Allen 5 minute read 6:09 PM CDT

Michael Fletcher hasn’t exactly been able to ease into things since bringing his talents up north.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers threw the rookie defensive lineman to the wolves in training camp, which led to him being released for a few days because of an injury before being signed to the practice roster.

“He’s willing to do whatever and he proved that during camp. We wore his ass out. He took so many reps in camp because we kept losing guys, losing guys, losing guys, and we just kept giving him more reps because we had to, to get practice in,” said head coach Mike O’Shea after Tuesday’s practice.

The Bombers (5-4) are in Edmonton on Friday to challenge the Elks (7-3).

Read
6:09 PM CDT