Mennonite programs in Ukraine face unsettled future

Advertisement

Advertise with us

For Winnipeg Mennonites who lead ministries serving seniors and other vulnerable people in southeastern Ukraine, it is an uncertain and troubling time.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 28/02/2022 (1632 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

For Winnipeg Mennonites who lead ministries serving seniors and other vulnerable people in southeastern Ukraine, it is an uncertain and troubling time.

“Everyone is in shock now,” Alvin Suderman, chairman of the board of the Friends of the Mennonite Centre in Ukraine, said of local staff members in Molochansk, about 120 kilometres from the region of Donetsk.

Russia has invaded Ukraine under the pretext of “liberating” separatist-held Donetsk and Luhansk.

The Mennonite centre’s director, who is also Ukrainian, has fled to Poland with her family.

“I could see the worry on her face when we talked,” Suderman said of a FaceTime call with her Thursday.

While there had been no fighting in Molochansk before Friday, residents heard explosions in the city of Melitopol, about 25 km away, and saw drones fly overhead.

The centre, which is located in a former Mennonite girl’s school built in 1906, has received a request to use its basement as a bomb shelter if needed, Suderman said.

“It’s very uncertain time,” he said last week, noting local staff members are safe and the centre’s programs to help seniors, orphans, poor families, local schools and people needing medical care are operating on a limited basis.

If the war continues and grows worse, he fears there could be a flood of refugees that will need assistance.

“We might have a new way to help people if that happens,” Suderman said.

But if Russia “decides it wants a land bridge from Crimea back to its own territory, it will go right through where the centre is,” he said.

“I don’t know if Russia will tolerate an outside aid group like ours,” Suderman said, adding he doesn’t know if the most recent transfer of funds from Canada to the centre will go through Ukrainian banks.

A similar story is told by Louie Sawatzky, who is project director for the Mennonite Family Centre operated by the Mennonite Benevolent Society of Manitoba.

“It’s not a good time for people in Ukraine and in the rest of the world,” he said.

Programs operated by the centre, located in Zaporizhzhia, about 100 km north of Molochansk, are closed.

“They will stay closed until we know what is possible,” Sawatzky said, noting local staff members provide programs for seniors, along with home care, respite and other services.

A week ago, Sawatzky asked staff how they were doing, and all said they planned to stay. “They didn’t think anything like this would take place,” he said, noting they have been living with the threat of invasion for years and had almost “become numb to it.”

“Now, anything could happen. We don’t know right now what we are going to do.”

Both centres were founded in the early 2000s after North American Mennonites on heritage tours to the former homeland in Ukraine saw the needs, especially for seniors. Funds for two centres comes from donors in Canada and the United States.

Suderman and Sawatzky called on Canadians to pray for all Ukrainians.

“It’s the only thing we can do as Christians when confronted by something seen to be so evil,” Sawatzky said. “The people we serve are so vulnerable.”

faith@freepress.mb.ca

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

John Longhurst

John Longhurst
Faith columnist & reporter

John Longhurst has been writing for Winnipeg's faith pages since 2003. He also writes for Religion News Service in the U.S., and blogs about the media, marketing and communications at Making the News.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

BRANDON — Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

BMO will close its branch on Rosser Avenue and move to a new location on Park Avenue while Royal Bank of Canada’s Rosser branch will be consolidated with the existing RBC branch on 18th Street.

Neither bank owns its downtown property or could say what will happen to the buildings after they vacate.

BMO spokesperson Jeff Roman described the bank’s move to Park Avenue as an investment in the Brandon community.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

An ambassador, a petition and 213,000 signatures

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

An ambassador, a petition and 213,000 signatures

Editorial 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

You have to admit, they have a point.

As of 7 a.m. on Monday, 209,909 Canadians had signed it. By 9:41 a.m., that number had reached 211,846. By 10:54 a.m., 213,124. And there are months left to sign.

It is an electronic petition to have the U.S. Ambassador to Canada, Pete Hoekstra, ousted and sent back to Trump’s America.

The reasons? Well, ambassadors are meant to represent the national positions of their governments and you could argue that Hoekstra is doing exactly that: his blunt pronouncements on things such as Canadian sovereignty sound very much like the words of one Donald Trump, President of the United States.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Hometown hero hits CEBL championship clinching shot

Taylor Allen 4 minute read Preview

Hometown hero hits CEBL championship clinching shot

Taylor Allen 4 minute read Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026

Chapter 1 of Winnipeg Sea Bears basketball was capped by hometown hero Chad Posthumus.

It was May 27, 2023, and the late, great centre out of River East Collegiate had a put-back basket off a Teddy Allen miss to give the Sea Bears a 90-85 victory over the Vancouver Bandits in Winnipeg’s inaugural game, in front of what was then a record crowd of 7,303.

So, on Saturday, it was rather poetic that Simon Hildebrandt — another Winnipegger and a player Posthumus used to mentor — was the one to put an exclamation mark on the franchise’s latest and greatest chapter.

Hildebrandt drilled a wide-open three in Target Score Time to crown the Sea Bears as the 2026 CEBL champions.

Read
Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026

Volunteer helps keep Nellie McClung’s legacy alive

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Preview

Volunteer helps keep Nellie McClung’s legacy alive

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Growing up with ties to the community of Manitou, Gillian Potvin has found great inspiration in the traces of Nellie McClung’s legacy.

The 39-year-old has spent nearly a decade channelling that inspiration back into the community by being a key part of the Nellie McClung Museum of Canada’s marketing and events planning since it opened at 55 Main St., in the southern Manitoba town in 2017.

Utilizing her skills in marketing and digital design for the museum is her way of thanking the woman who fought for the rights she has today and continuing her legacy.

“She helped women to be identified as persons and that’s huge,” she said of the woman born in 1873 and considered one of Canada’s most prominent suffragists. “It’s easy to take for granted some of these rights we now have as women, but there would have been a big fight back in the day to change the things that have always been.”

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Letters, Aug. 17

6 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

If I were Pierre Poilievre, I wouldn’t be just thinking about becoming the next prime minister. I’d be thinking about legacy in larger terms — meaning how would I ultimately want to be remembered.

A grand jeté of climate-change denial

Gwynne Dyer 4 minute read Preview

A grand jeté of climate-change denial

Gwynne Dyer 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

The first hurricane to hit Hawaii in 34 years. The Mediterranean on fire from Spain to Greece. ‘Heat domes’ one after another for months on end in Europe and North America. Thousands of excess deaths. A record El Niño piled on top of an average global temperature up from +1.2 C five years ago. Predicted high for this year: +1.7 C.

Surely they’ll get it now, you think — but no, they won’t. It once seemed sensible to think that when the climate damage gets bad enough and the trend line becomes impossible to ignore, ‘they’ (meaning the climate change deniers and their fellow travellers) will finally accept that the threat is real and urgent action is necessary.

A few of them will, but most will not.

It is becoming clear that as the old position of flat disbelief in climate science becomes untenable, the preferred response among former deniers is to admit that climate change is big, dangerous and already well underway — but to insist that it is already too late and nothing can be done about it now.

Read
2:00 AM CDT