Fewer Canadians believe antisemitism, Islamophobia a problem: poll

A decreasing number of Canadians believes antisemitism and Islamophobia are serious problems in this country, a new survey says.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/06/2024 (793 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A decreasing number of Canadians believes antisemitism and Islamophobia are serious problems in this country, a new survey says.

In an Angus Reid Institute survey released on June 18, 69 per cent of Canadians said antisemitism and Islamophobia are a problem, down from 78 per cent in December 2023. Sixty-six per cent said anti-Muslim hatred and prejudice is a problem, a decrease of nine per cent since late last year.

In Manitoba, 62 per cent of those polled said anti-Muslim hatred is a problem, while 72 per cent feel that way about antisemitism.

The results are much different for Jews and Muslims who were polled. Ninety-five per cent of Canadian Jews said antisemitism is a problem in Canada while 88 per cent of Canadian Muslims believe Islamophobia is a problem.

The data shows “a discord” between Jews, Muslims and other Canadians, the institute said, noting there has been a “dramatic increase of antisemitism and anti-Muslim hate since the Oct. 7 attacks by Hamas on Israel.”

Jeff Lieberman, chief executive officer of the Jewish Federation of Winnipeg, says the findings should concern all Canadians as they “highlight a significant disconnect between the experiences of Jewish and Muslim communities and the broader Canadian public.”

Lieberman noted there’s been a dramatic rise in antisemitic incidents nationwide since Oct. 7, acts that have affected people of all ages, from school-aged children to adults.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Jeff Lieberman, chief executive officer of the Jewish Federation of Winnipeg, says the findings should concern all Canadians.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

Jeff Lieberman, chief executive officer of the Jewish Federation of Winnipeg, says the findings should concern all Canadians.

This includes Winnipeg, which “has seen a significant increase in antisemitic incidents recently,” Lieberman said, citing reports of vandalism, harassment, and hate speech targeting Jewish community members.

Lieberman said members of the Jewish community are feeling a sense of unease and are hesitant to express their Judaism in public.

Winnipeg Muslims are also feeling a disconnect.

“Many Canadians may not realize how Islamophobia has become normalized,” said Tasneem Vali of the Manitoba Islamic Association. In addition to hateful words and actions, this includes comments about women who wear hijabs that are couched as jokes, she said.

People “are now conditioned to think these are ‘jokes,’ but they are anti-Muslim behaviour and microaggressions that have been normalized,” Vali said.

While the survey shows many Canadians feel Islamophobia isn’t a concern, “in reality, for us racism is on the rise, even if it is sometimes subtle. It is still omnipresent,” she said.

ALEX LUPUL / FREE PRESS FILES
                                ‘Many Canadians may not realize how Islamophobia has become normalized,’ says Tasneem Vali of the Manitoba Islamic Association.

ALEX LUPUL / FREE PRESS FILES

‘Many Canadians may not realize how Islamophobia has become normalized,’ says Tasneem Vali of the Manitoba Islamic Association.

Belle Jarniewski, executive director of the Jewish Heritage Centre of Western Canada, says antisemitic behaviour has been seen on some Canadian university campuses and in some Manitoba high schools where Jewish students have been “singled out, bullied, and even hurt.”

Added Gustavo Zentner, vice president for Manitoba and Saskatchewan for the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs: “There is abundant evidence that antisemitism is growing at almost unprecedented rates in Canada, also following a similar trend across the U.S and Europe.”

Sadaf Ahmed, a Winnipegger working on her PhD on contemporary Islam in Canada at the University of Toronto says the poll results are concerning, adding the war in Gaza is leading to an “ongoing dehumanization of Palestinians and Muslims.”

The poll also found women are more likely than men to describe both Islamophobia and antisemitism as a significant problem, and a majority of all likely voters for the Conservative Party of Canada, Liberals, NDP and Bloc Québécois believe antisemitism is a significant concern in Canada.

That is not the case for Islamophobia, however. While a majority of those who are likely to vote for the Liberals, NDP and Bloc see it as a problem, 59 per cent of those who are likely to vote for the Conservatives think Islamophobia is a minor problem or not a problem at all.

faith@freepress.mb.ca

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

John Longhurst

John Longhurst
Faith columnist & reporter

John Longhurst has been writing for Winnipeg's faith pages since 2003. He also writes for Religion News Service in the U.S., and blogs about the media, marketing and communications at Making the News.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Friday, June 21, 2024 3:54 PM CDT: Adds photos

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read Preview

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Moon Alert: Until 11 p.m. PDT tonight there are no restrictions to shopping or important decisions today. The Moon is in Capricorn.

Aries (March 21-April 19)

Steer clear of confrontation with authority figures this morning. Instead, get yourself ready for a productive four weeks ahead because you intend to work and get better organized. Oh yeah – you’re going to pull your act together so you can take it on the road.

Taurus (April 20-May 20)

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Preview

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

In February 2025, Manitoba (and most other provinces) pulled American liquor from store shelves as part of the ongoing trade dispute with the United States.

Then in December, the province followed a similar course to others and put American booze that was already on hand back on shelves, selling off inventory that had been wasting away in warehouses for months, and directing proceeds from those sales to charities.

Lineups sprung up at numerous stores as consumers snapped up bestselling American products — think Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniel’s, Apothic Red and the like. After that initial rush, what was left has been languishing on shelves ever since, with many products eventually being drastically discounted for a quick sale, lest they become too long in the tooth.

I decided early on not to write about/review U.S. products in this space until things were well and truly sorted. But a few months back, I found myself in the mood for a big, oaky red wine and — in a moment of weakness, or nostalgia, or maybe just curiosity — I picked up a $30-ish California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Preview

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Manitoba government and business leaders are rallying behind Prime Minister Mark Carney’s plan to fight back, after a sudden collapse of trade talks between the U.S. and Canada sparked a new salvo of U.S. tariffs on some Canadian goods.

On Saturday, after Carney vowed to respond with retaliatory tariffs, Manitoba premier Wab Kinew said his government stood “100 per cent” behind the prime minister’s plan to respond to what Kinew called U.S. president Donald Trump’s “unjustified and immoral” tariffs.

“History will not be kind to Donald Trump, so we should never appease him,” Kinew said. “We should fight back, which is what Canada is doing today.”

Kinew met reporters for a brief news conference at the legislature on Saturday afternoon, about an hour after finishing a call with Carney and the other premiers. There was a “really strong sense of unity” on that call, Kinew said, and emphasized that he backs the federal decision to “walk away from what would have been a bad deal.”

Read
Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Unresolved issues leave little space for you

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: My boyfriend — who is newly divorced — has two great children from his marriage. Although he and I have been together since Christmas, it’s obvious he loves his kids much more than he loves me! For instance, he lavishes affection on the kids when they’re over and completely leaves me out. I’m just the cook and dish-washer for the night.

When I brought this up recently, he said, “My girlfriends don’t last, because if I’m openly affectionate with them, the kids tell their mother we’re making out in front of them! They want all my affection and attention when I’m with them.” Then he added, “Stick around, and the kids will probably loosen up.”

Stick around? The explanation and his “advice” totally turned me off. What do you think?

— Not Second-Best to Anyone, St. Vital

Five Things: PM Carney explains why Canada left the U.S. negotiating table

David Baxter, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Five Things: PM Carney explains why Canada left the U.S. negotiating table

David Baxter, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 1:58 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Canada is preparing to hit the U.S. with dollar-for-dollar tariffs in response to new 50 per cent duties on $28 billion worth of Canadian products that took effect when talks between the two nations collapsed as negotiations neared the finish line. 

Prime Minister Mark Carney was quiet publicly during the final days of negotiations, but now has now explained his rationale for telling the Canadian negotiating team, led by Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and chief negotiator Janice Charette, to leave the table.

Restrictions on further trade deals

"The U.S. Introduced at the last hours, in the last hours, efforts to restrict our ability to have other trade deals. You heard me say a moment ago, what we've accomplished in the past year, 20 new deals, economic and security partnerships, the prospect of doubling our market access because we believe in free trade. We're the partner of choice in many respects for countries around the world and the Americans wanted to restrict that. They had language that what they wanted to restrict that, unacceptable," Carney said during a press conference on Parliament Hill.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 1:58 PM CDT